• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Dan Fleeman

I suppose he means well but why on earth is he publishing his blood values and why do Cycling News see it as newsworthy?

If there was one member of the continental peleton not using any performance enhancers I'd say it was him. Next thing we'll be having sportive riders publishing theirs!!!

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
I would like to take the opportunity to also announce mine while were at it. I havent got me website up & running yet but ill keep ye all in the loop. I will be doing 4 or 5 Sportives this year. Im responsible for all I ingest & the buck stops with me. I shall have no excuses & will be completely transparent.

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
One thing that stood out for me in this article is that he sees people who would question his performances as 'small-minded', which is a pretty bad attitude if you ask me.

Unless he's feeling particularly confident about winning big in the UK this season, I can't really see the point of what he is doing. Fair play he thinks he has something to prove after last season but if anyone questions his results it is a fair question and not small minds. At least he'll have some blood values to throw around which will no doubt be meaningless to most people!!

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
There is no reason to create yet another set of rules, the Fleeman rules. Nobody really followed independent testing that some of the top racers published on their own,all have abandoned the practice. Twitter,testing,blogs and predictions are all practices of distraction. Dan should separate himself by winning races,and yes drug free is important but leave the lab work up to the feds.

Aug 14, 2009
Visit site
What is this? We talk bad about every rider who dont want transparancy, and when a rider want to do something about it we talk bad about him to? You really cant win can you?

Go Fleeman!

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
olimpic said:
What is this? We talk bad about every rider who dont want transparancy, and when a rider want to do something about it we talk bad about him to? You really cant win can you?

Go Fleeman!

You are right he hasn't won, he should. Telling everybody your an open book is way of saying I am not winning because everybody else is gassed. Contador,Gessink,Basso,Schleck x2, took over 600 tests with no results. Maybe it's a UK thing. He and Millar should start a band called Wham. If he gets popped do you think the UCI will look to average his indi samples and the official ones? Is he better than his teammates because he gives extra pee ? He should save this crap for church. The answer to the winning question is why he went from Cervelo to Raleigh,next year he will be sponsored by a curry take away shop.

May 8, 2009
Visit site
Personally I think this is an interesting development. It will give us an idea of what a clean rider profile should look like. Shame he isn't doing any grand tours, then we could compare with other published values, namely wiggins.

A

Anonymous

Bobby700c said:
One thing that stood out for me in this article is that he sees people who would question his performances as 'small-minded', which is a pretty bad attitude if you ask me.

The quote was: “With the unfortunate distrust there is within the sport, if I have a great season, some small minded people will point the finger saying that as I'm no longer part of the bio-passport, the temptation to dope may be there."

He's not saying people will see his performance as small minded. He said some "small minded people" may question his racing results.

A little different. :)

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
Gee333 said:
The quote was: “With the unfortunate distrust there is within the sport, if I have a great season, some small minded people will point the finger saying that as I'm no longer part of the bio-passport, the temptation to dope may be there."

He's not saying people will see his performance as small minded. He said some "small minded people" may question his racing results.

A little different. :)

Sorry, maybe I didn't word my post very well. I know what he means (as explained in your post), but I don't think there's anything small minded about questioning strong cycling performances. With the history this sport has, it is only natural to do so - anything else is naive in my opinion. If I was racing at a high level, I wouldn't be surprised or offended in the slightest if people suspected me of being on drugs.

Bumeington said:
Personally I think this is an interesting development. It will give us an idea of what a clean rider profile should look like. Shame he isn't doing any grand tours, then we could compare with other published values, namely wiggins.

On what are you basing your assumption that he is clean? If he went to altitude and boosted his RBC count naturally would that get alarm bells ringing when seen out of context?

I think it's a well meant PR exercise and he does seem to get an alarming amount of press based on his results but it could be the thin end of the wedge with every hubbard and chipper releasing their own values!

I think fatandfast has hit the nail on the head though ;)

Jul 16, 2009
Visit site
FAIR PLAY TO FLEEMAN.
it s not should he or shouldnt he. I dont care why he is doing it.
the fact that they are going to be published highlights the fact that EVERY single guy who makes his living from cycling should do the same.

We have a damaged sport and need to show a desire to repair.

Step in the right direction

Bumeington said:

+1.000.000 times over
I've had that curiosity for so long, so I'm looking forward to seeing those results.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Excellent thread. I was about to posit this question myself.

I read the Fleeman thing yesterday and I was really curious as to what people's thoughts were on it. Self-serving? Honest? Accusatory? Worth doing for a domestic pro trying to get to the next level?

I think my question has been answered.

May 12, 2009
Visit site
Last I had it measured (in Dec), my hematocrit was 47. I live at 5000 ft and train higher than that, so maybe that's normal. Or maybe I'm on something?

At any rate it shouldn't be news for Fleeman, and I don't know that using his values as comparison for anyone else's is valid, any more than using mine would be.

bobbins said:
On what are you basing your assumption that he is clean? If he went to altitude and boosted his RBC count naturally would that get alarm bells ringing when seen out of context?

Do you know for a fact that the blood profile has the same trend when working on altitude as opposed to blood transfusion? I am not sure but Retics start to drop with a blood transfusion, as opposed to Retics going up when working at altitude. That's something that has been said in the Clinic in the past.

Besides once you start a grand Tour all bets are off for working on altitude, so every little change during the race matters and could be a red flag since you are not working at altitude no more.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Bobby700c said:
JUST WOW!...Thats anti social behavior! If he would have kept it shut he'd be just fine. I think somebody who hates Fleeman must have gone off and told a bunch of people how Dan's a big doper and now feels he needs to do this.

Either that or he's envious of all the attention the "big riders" are getting by publishing their data.

Jul 16, 2009
Visit site
think some are reading too much opinion into the individual riders decision to keep his blood value in the public domain,

I learned a good thing from Shane Stokes article that the values are useful to the riders themselves to keep an eye on health and progression.

It is a first step for all riders. there must be trust. We need these values, from all riders to be available for open investigation.

Dec 31, 2009
Visit site
There's an incredible amount of negativity on this thread! :confused:

When i read the news I just figured that Fleeman was taking steps to give himself a better shot at returning to ProContinental level in 2011. He had a bad injury while with Cervelo last year and didn't ride enough to earn a contract renewal. If he has a good season at continental level with Raleigh this year he can show prospective employers his palmares and his blood results.

Is that really so bad?

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
I was the second poster on this thread & while it was smart arsed i actually support what Fleeman is doing & fair play to him. If he wants to do it thats fine with me. The more we can see the better it is to help correlate opinions & judgements etc etc.

Nov 8, 2009
Visit site
I support transparency as well - I was only negative towards a comment by Fleeman which was quoted in the article. However, I'd be far keener on having anti-doping agencies / controls in place which people had faith in, because then none of this would be necessary in the first place.

TRENDING THREADS