Dan Martin discussion thread

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Amsterdam said:
He's gonna be the surprise of the Giro. Top5 and maybe even podium.
Possible. A lot of the favorites have similar (low) capabilities at time trialing. Last years first TT in the Tour.

Evans +2.30
Roche +2.35
Quintana +3.28
Pinot +3.28
Rodriguez+3.29
Martin +3.36
Neimiec +4.33

Not sure where Uran, Aru, Pozzovivo etc fit in.
 
Dec 13, 2012
168
0
0
Given Roche's lack of form in last years tour and subsequent strong tt's in the Vuelta and worlds that would put him in a good position.Not expecting much from him at the moment given injury and lack of form so far this campaign. Romandie should be a good barometer of his form. Dan has clearly shown form in Fleche, the point i am trying to make is that he hasnt shown the level of consistency yet needed to be a gc rider. Dont get me wrong hes an excellent mountain stage hunter, I would put him and Rui Costa as two of the best.
 
Jan 11, 2010
12,582
0
0
pmcg76 said:
I think if Dan targets GC, he could easily outdo Roche. The Vuelta is easily the weakest of the GTs and if Dan focused on it as Nico does, I could see him close to the podium.
Obviously on a good day Dan Martin is a much better rider than Roche, but he hasn't been consistent at all so far in GTs. The long climbs have been his downfall.

Maybe he's just a punchy rider, a stage hunter.
 
I get the impression that he's far more focused on the Giro GC than he's ever been before. In the past he's been very "I'll take it one day at a time" but he seems a bit more bullish now. One thing about him is that he's generally preformed well at the events he specifically targets. Anyway I think with Porte gone it's going to make for a very open Giro.
 
As an Irishman, I'm just loving our involvement in the pro ranks-with Bennett looking like a right wee rider. Martin is more gifted and certainly ruthless than Roche but I ain't complaining, I just enjoying. Especially as I (finally) secured tickets to the team presentation event on the 8th. Good times.
 
pmcg76 said:
I think if Dan targets GC, he could easily outdo Roche. The Vuelta is easily the weakest of the GTs and if Dan focused on it as Nico does, I could see him close to the podium.
Lol when I read that I thought you where talking about senior Roche, but you where talking about his son:D
 
hayzer114 said:
Given Roche's lack of form in last years tour and subsequent strong tt's in the Vuelta and worlds that would put him in a good position.Not expecting much from him at the moment given injury and lack of form so far this campaign. Romandie should be a good barometer of his form. Dan has clearly shown form in Fleche, the point i am trying to make is that he hasnt shown the level of consistency yet needed to be a gc rider. Dont get me wrong hes an excellent mountain stage hunter, I would put him and Rui Costa as two of the best.

May I just be the first one to point out that Dan only last year discovered a 'fix' for his allergies that have plagued his GC ambitions in the past, and the reason he did poorly in the Tour was due to sickness, I think he may well be the surprise of the Giro, he seems super motivated and in very good shape so as long as he can remain consistent we could potentially see him in the top 5
 
CyclingEnthusiast said:
May I just be the first one to point out that Dan only last year discovered a 'fix' for his allergies that have plagued his GC ambitions in the past, and the reason he did poorly in the Tour was due to sickness, I think he may well be the surprise of the Giro, he seems super motivated and in very good shape so as long as he can remain consistent we could potentially see him in the top 5
He had his nasal cavities cauterised
 
I still have doubts over Martins consistency over 3 weeks despite above mentioned excuses.

He never struck me as the particularly consistent rider ever. High peaks and inexplicable lows. I'd like to be proven wrong since I have picked him as one of my leaders in some cycling games tho :p
 
Aug 16, 2011
10,821
0
0
Zinoviev Letter said:
From photos it looks like his chain just snapped.
Too bad, would have much preferred him for a winner.

On the bright side, had to be putting out a lot of power. He'll be ready for the Giro. :D
 
Aug 13, 2009
12,855
0
0
His dad said it was due to 'Chalk dusted oil" on the turn. Organizers were aware of it but did not clean it

Not sure how valid that is
 
Well i don't know. . . but his slide matches perfectly with his down pedal stroke.

I hope for him that i am wrong, because that is a mighty embarrassing way to **** up a monument win (i think he would have won without the crash)
 
Jul 19, 2010
5,361
0
0
I was jumped on my seat when I saw Martin went down. I was like what the..???.. Gosh!!! cruel, cruel.. bad luck at the worst possible moment ever!! I guess we aren't going to know what happen if he didn't fall.... (sigh)
 
Aug 16, 2011
10,821
0
0
Parrulo said:
Well i don't know. . . but his slide matches perfectly with his down pedal stroke.

I hope for him that i am wrong, because that is a mighty embarrassing way to **** up a monument win (i think he would have won without the crash)
He appears to believe it was oil on the road.

Originally Posted by Dan Martin
“It’s one thing to make a mistake or know what you’ve done but we figure that there’s a patch of oil or something. I think I had tears in my eyes before I even hit the floor. There aren’t really words for it. To race for seven hours and for that to happen on the last corner…. it’s poetry.”
Really does suck that this happened to him, going down in the very last corner while your in 2nd position on the road has got to be one of the worst ways to lose a race.
 
Parrulo said:
Well i don't know. . . but his slide matches perfectly with his down pedal stroke.

I hope for him that i am wrong, because that is a mighty embarrassing way to **** up a monument win (i think he would have won without the crash)
I bet it was those Garmin Vector pedal pods that attach to the crank. They need to make them smaller.



 
Sep 14, 2011
1,980
0
0
Very sad that Dan won't get to ride in his adopted country now. Let's hope that he can get back for the Tour or the Vuelta and show what he is capable of.
 
Jun 25, 2013
381
0
0
Bernie's eyesore said:
Very sad that Dan won't get to ride in his adopted country now. Let's hope that he can get back for the Tour or the Vuelta and show what he is capable of.
"Adopted country." Well, if you consider Ireland his adopted country, you probably consider the UK his home country. He got to ride on UK roads today... :(
 
Apr 16, 2014
533
0
0
Impossible to control the weather. That said, Dan Martin's crashing out on the first day makes me sick.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery to Dan. You will be missed; please come back strong and not give up.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY