• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Dan Martin

Mar 7, 2009
Visit site
Hi Folks,
What do ye all reckon about Dan Martin and Nicholas Roches chances in Paris Nice. Its great that after many years Ireland have a couple of top stars for the future. Also, not forgetting Philip Deignan Another great talent!!!

Mar 7, 2009
www.vizlefx.com
I have to agree, these 3 Irish names have a lot of potential. I can't decided who has more out of Roche and Martin. I find they are equally as talented. It's a shame Roche missed out on a Veulta win last year and his GC placing proved that he can go forward, the same goes for Martin - he is a very exciting rider and I look forward to following his progress.

Mar 7, 2009
Visit site
Ya. I reckon Dan has a big season ahead this year. David Millar reckons that he is the rider with the most potential in the Garmin squad. Hopefully Roche will get a ride in Le Tour in July. Watch out for both of them in the mountain top finish in Paris-Nice next Friday.

I think Martin (and Roche) are both young riders with a lot of potential, and it will be interesting to watch them continue to develop. In terms of Paris-Nice specifically, I feel that either could theoretically achieve a top-25 placement and consider it successful. Jersey or stage wins would be nice, too, of course, and not necessarily out of the question but perhaps a bit high to shoot for at this time.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
A pity Dan Martin had such a bad day yesterday, though it could permit him to take a stage win on a break, hopefully. Hopefully Nicolas Roche might grab one today, or more likely tomorrow, and finish top 20 on GC.

Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Nicolas Roche and Dan Martin are two reasons to be optimistic about the future of cycling. Roche has the tenacity of his father whilst Martin looks to be a very talented climber. I hope they win many races in the years ahead.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Dan Martin did some great things last year and Roche really suprised me in the Vuelta. Both riders with a promising future. Roche has that sprint that can get him some wins, Martin is more an overall rider for the gc.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Nicolas Roche is down to start tomorrow's Milan-San Remo. I suspect he will be in domestic mode - perhaps we'll see some of his emerging talent later in the year. He is more experienced that Dan Martin, although experience can be gained quickly, depending on the rider.

It's great to see three contendors for stages this year - I also admire Philip Deignan for his tenacity and style.