• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Dario Pegoretti Q&A

Oct 25, 2010
Visit site
thanks for the link! Interesting stuff...and Dario gives about a clear an answer why frame weight isn' t really important as I have ever heard:

"I think even the lightweight carbon fibre frames (800/900grammi)not offer performance comparable to frames built with the same material a bitmore heavy, I think it was mainly the marketing to push the construction of frames very light than a real need.
What I tried to do was to research the best possible efficiency of the frame.
We must think of having to move a mass from a to b, but the mass is the bike and rider and the bike is about 10% of the total mass, the frame around 2% of the total mass.
I think have not a great sense to try and save 20/30% of 2% If this causes a loss of a part of the power that we put on the pedal for 70/90 times per minute."
d

May 26, 2010
Visit site
The Gnome said:
thanks for the link! Interesting stuff...and Dario gives about a clear an answer why frame weight isn' t really important as I have ever heard:

"I think even the lightweight carbon fibre frames (800/900grammi)not offer performance comparable to frames built with the same material a bitmore heavy, I think it was mainly the marketing to push the construction of frames very light than a real need.
We must think of having to move a mass from a to b, but the mass is the bike and rider and the bike is about 10% of the total mass, the frame around 2% of the total mass.
I think have not a great sense to try and save 20/30% of 2% If this causes a loss of a part of the power that we put on the pedal for 70/90 times per minute."
d

yeah but companies love selling the idea of 'new technology' as the suckers fall head over heels for it and he mark up is huge.

I would love to see someone ride a steel frame again in the pro peloton to dismiss the idea that carbon is better. Maybe Paris Roubaix.:cool:

May 18, 2011
Visit site
God I want one!!

Interestingly though Benotti, Colnago said that it wasn't until his frames had been ridden to 5 or so victories in Paris-Roubaix that carbon became accepted as a genuine material..

The Gnome said:

d

Mr. Merckx has said the same thing. You can objectively measure only 2 things in a bike shop, weight and price. Marketing run amok.

A light, 800 gram frame that costs $10,000 is light and expensive, not necessarily any good to ride.