• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Dauphine Route leaked

Page 5 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Libertine Seguros said:
The Dauphiné takes place in the Alps. I know you're from the Netherlands so you might not be aware of this, but the Alps are very big and go very high. They are a great big mountain range. If you have a week long race through the Alps, and you CAN'T find enough climbing to balance against 40km of time trial, you aren't looking hard enough, sorry. Just because one team is strong all-round doesn't mean that it's impossible to make a balanced route, it just means it's hard to create a route where they won't stand a good chance of coming out on top. But that's not the course designers' fault if they produce a balanced route. Produce a pile of horse dung like the 2012 Dauphiné and sure, blame them. But 40km can EASILY be balanced out against the mountains. Did I mention that there were lots of mountains in the Alps? Because there are.

Yea like I've never been out of this ****ing country :rolleyes: you can look at this from two sides, on one hand more itt km forces all the other riders except the best tter to attack from further out (ignoring the fact that such an attack would most likely be suicide anyway), on the other hand you make the dominant rider(s) even more dominant.

Dec 27, 2010
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
Yea like I've never been out of this ****ing country :rolleyes: you can look at this from two sides, on one hand more itt km forces all the other riders except the best tter to attack from further out (ignoring the fact that such an attack would most likely be suicide anyway), on the other hand you make the dominant rider(s) even more dominant.

You are setting too much store by Sky's recent domination. The last 12 months of the Sky train does not make good parcours design pointless.

Look at some of the Lance Tours. He was the best climber and best TTer in most of those Tours. But that doesn't mean the ASO should give up on making the parcours interesting and balanced, just because the Postal train will trash everyone regardless.

LaFlorecita said:
Insulting the French + making a superficial comment. C'mon you can do better than that.