• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Dauphine Route leaked

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
uphillstruggle said:
Would tend to agree. Don't know much about the summit finishes but if they are reasonable this is the most balanced Dauphine route for a while.

Superdévoluy is more a hilltop finish (+/- 3km @ +/-6%) than a mountaintop finish, but if it's preceded by the eastside of Col de Noyer (7.5km @ 8%) it could be a pretty good stage. Even more so if we also get the col de Laffrey (rumoured) and the col de parquetout (hoping for it, but unlikely) during that stage.

rghysens said:
I doubt it very much. Is that climb even asphalted on both sides?
With the current state of mind of ASO, I'll be very happy if they climb the col de la Madeleine before Valmorel.

I dunno, I think it's not. I doubt it's even asphalted to the top on one side. One more reason to get Zomegnan on Prudhomme's place:D

Risoul is more of an MTF than Super-Dévoluy. But really, I just designed a Dauphiné-type stage to Super-Dévoluy recently.

fbvyqh.png

You can probably ignore the first 2/3 with Glandon and the Col de la Morte, but the last bit shows the Col du Parquetout from its toughest side (which would be a possibility in this stage) then the rolling phase, before Noyer and the uphill Super-Dévoluy finish. This ought to indicate that the potential for a really good stage is there, as well as giving a pretty clear indication of what the final 25-30k will look like.

Colour me shocked at what looks like a good route here. If the mountain stages are properly tough, however, the ITT needs to be more 40k than 30k. The recent 50s have been too long, but the Dauphiné should have a couple of summit finishes, another real mountain stage and a long ITT. Most week-long races shouldn't have an ITT that long, but if the Dauphiné gets its mountain stages right, 40k against the clock is a requirement. The problem recently is anaemic mountain stages and overlong time trials, and also the ASO have been killing the race off as an independent entity, instead making it a TDF visua with UCI points. This looks like an extremely positive step in giving the Dauphiné back the prestige it should have.

Libertine Seguros said:
Risoul is more of an MTF than Super-Dévoluy.

Is it Risoul or Risoul 1850? The former is just the village at the foot of the climb to the latter. If the stage finishes in Risoul, it's probably a downhill from the col de Vars.

Libertine Seguros said:
If the mountain stages are properly tough, however, the ITT needs to be more 40k than 30k. The recent 50s have been too long, but the Dauphiné should have a couple of summit finishes, another real mountain stage and a long ITT. Most week-long races shouldn't have an ITT that long, but if the Dauphiné gets its mountain stages right, 40k against the clock is a requirement.

I wholeheartedly agree.

I also designed a stage to Superdévoluy a couple of months ago, with the Noyer and some other climbs between Barcelonnette and Gap, but I'm quite sure ASO will never design something like this: Barcelonnette - Superdévoluy.

LaFlorecita said:
40km?! No I am sorry I am not interested in a race completely decided in the tt

If the mountain stages are designed correctly, 40km can easily be balanced.

In most stage races, you can't balance out a 40km ITT. The Dauphiné takes place in the heart of the Alps. Maybe years of Pescheux has damaged your perception of the possibilities for creating real, genuine mountain stages that balance out a 40km ITT, but believe me, they're there.

Libertine Seguros said:
If the mountain stages are designed correctly, 40km can easily be balanced.

In most stage races, you can't balance out a 40km ITT. The Dauphiné takes place in the heart of the Alps. Maybe years of Pescheux has damaged your perception of the possibilities for creating real, genuine mountain stages that balance out a 40km ITT, but believe me, they're there.

Okay but then we need action before the last mountain. Let's hope it happens but especially with the sky train I won't hold my breath.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
This year the top gc contenders are very close in the mountains, there won't be more than a minute between them in mountains. In a 40km tt however we are talking about minutes

How much did contador lose against Evans in the ITT in '09? Barely 20 seconds orso. Did that decide the dauphine?

How much did valverde lose? Also not much.

Just like in '08.

Last 3 years it decided the dauphine though, i'll give you that although brajkovic looked really good in '10 in the mountains but then nothing in the tour :eek:

Miburo said:
How much did contador lose against Evans in the ITT in '09? Barely 20 seconds orso. Did that decide the dauphine?

How much did valverde lose? Also not much.

Just like in '08.

Last 3 years it decided the dauphine though, i'll give you that although brajkovic looked really good in '10 in the mountains but then nothing in the tour :eek:

? In 2009 Alberto beat Cancellara in a 40km tt :rolleyes: not a good example of a bad tter vs a great one

There is only one positive thing I can find about this tt length and that's that Alberto will know what awaits him in the Tour. Not that it will matter much though

LaFlorecita said:
This year the top gc contenders are very close in the mountains, there won't be more than a minute between them in mountains. In a 40km tt however we are talking about minutes

Why I believe it's between Froome and Contador for the overall this year. If there in top form they'll both put several minutes in the other contenders in the TT.

MatParker117 said:
Why I believe it's between Froome and Contador for the overall this year. If there in top form they'll both put several minutes in the other contenders in the TT.

I am sorry, don't mean to offend but I don't know how I should read this ;)

Do you mean: this is why I believe.........
Why? I believe......
Or Why I believe....: If their in top form......

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
? In 2009 Alberto beat Cancellara in a 40km tt :rolleyes: not a good example of a bad tter vs a great one

There is only one positive thing I can find about this tt length and that's that Alberto will know what awaits him in the Tour. Not that it will matter much though

What about valverde then? He didn't lose that much against Evans.

Besides Contador wasn't that good in the dauphine of '09, otherwise he would have won it, don't you think?

Apr 10, 2011
Visit site
The Hitch said:
Contador is aiming to peak for the tour. Not the dauphine. For his own good he should not be too good in this race.

You can win this race with one good ITT though, look at Wiggins last year, did **** all during race and won it in the TT.

Froome wll be the favoruite, but Contador should do well with 2 tough stages and a ITT without that great of an effort really.

LaFlorecita said:
I am sorry, don't mean to offend but I don't know how I should read this ;)

Do you mean: this is why I believe.........
Why? I believe......
Or Why I believe....: If their in top form......

Basically I think your right that there is at best a minute between Contador, Froome, Purito and maybe Evans the likely GC contenders this year in the mountains. However I believe that if Alberto and Froome go into the Dauphine at the peak of their powers (or close to it) there is a very good chance that they both put three minutes plus in the other two in the time trial.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
LaFlorecita said:
He was in very good form the entire year

If he was then he would have won the dauphine. Contador not being able to drop Evans in the dauphine is not really an indication of a very good form, is it?

At least for the likes of Contador. And yes he tried to drop Evans in the last stage but he wasn't good enough.

Jul 29, 2012
Visit site
Netserk said:
He lost 1'31 to Evans (Valverde did).

Was it that much? I thought it was less than a minute, then again valverde took a lot of time on the ventoux stage.

Lol at that last km, valverde being a gent to Szmyd :D