• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Dave-Just blame the steak!!!

May 25, 2010
Visit site
Don't know the full story but....

US cyclist David Clinger was issued a lifetime doping ban by the US Anti-Doping Agency (USADA) on Friday after testing positive during a random test while serving a prior doping ban.
Clinger, 34, tested positive for clenbuterol, an anabolic agent, during a sample collected last June 29 in an out-of-competition test.

Interesting...

I'd like to know when that guy started doping. Might explain a few inconsistencies from way, way back.

Didn't he have a brother Dan that rode competitively too?

Now that he's persona non-grata with USAC, he should see if he can't contribute to some more convictions. I don't know if that would make him less of a cheating liar today, but maybe...

May 25, 2010
Visit site
I hope he takes this ok, I know he's had some trouble in the past. Not sure if Matt deCanio is still writing but some of Dave's stories from his time riding on USPS opened our eyes a few years ago.

Jan 21, 2011
Visit site
Oh come on now - as we all know from the Contador case, there's NO WAY that they can build a drug doping case on the detection of nanogram/ml quantities of drug substance in the blood. David got robbed.

/sarcasm

mastersracer

BANNED
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
he's seriously mentally ill, was living in a group treatment home in Utah battling addiction. Doping while suspended seems like another self-destructive move in a long series of such moves. Sad story.

Oct 31, 2010
Visit site
He and his brother raced at Encino Velodrome when they were in their teens and would give us all a run for our money in the Cat 1-2. His brother stopped racing to go off on his mission (mormon). Dave obvisouly kept on racing. What I'm getting at is at 15 the guy was freaky fast and most likely clean. His family seemed very stable and low key. He's probaly just wired wrong.

Aug 3, 2010
Visit site
mastersracer said:
he's seriously mentally ill, was living in a group treatment home in Utah battling addiction. Doping while suspended seems like another self-destructive move in a long series of such moves. Sad story.

How do you know this, or where did you hear that? Not doubting you, I am just curious. I had heard differently. I knew him from racing and as someone posted earlier in the thread, he was a very talented cyclist. If you are reading this David, I wish you the best.

TRENDING THREADS