• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

David Bowie

I first heard David Bowie in 1969, I was 18, and I Loved him from that day onward. Every concert that was close enough to attend was attended. He morphed himself, his music and art through the decades never remaining in one spot, always changing and exploring the envelope. I will miss him. Hearing of his death hit me as badly as the passing of John Lennon, Leonard Nimoy and the great Marco Pantani.

R.I.P. you're with Major Tom now dear David.

The first Bowie song I really paid attention to was Nirvana's cover of "The man who sold the world", I was obsessed with that song! Before that I really only associated Bowie with Major Tom, and dismissed him as boring acoustic at the time.

Looking back at stuff like "Let's Dance" and "Ashes to Ashes" I realised that there was a tremendous talent behind his music.

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
The front page of The Guardian tomorrow.

CYeH8CrW8AAVtky.jpg

Mar 25, 2013
Visit site
Re:

42x16ss said:
The first Bowie song I really paid attention to was Nirvana's cover of "The man who sold the world", I was obsessed with that song! Before that I really only associated Bowie with Major Tom, and dismissed him as boring acoustic at the time.

Looking back at stuff like "Let's Dance" and "Ashes to Ashes" I realised that there was a tremendous talent behind his music.

Agree on Let's Dance and Ashes to Ashes.

Modern Love is a favourite of mine.

Re:

Amsterhammer said:
How excellent having a separate in memoriam topic! I'm from the same generation as carols, so Bowie has been with me my entire musical life. His talent, and his genius, were unique.

His wonderful duet with Tina Turner.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7icGpchTH4c

You understand! He has supplied one of the major soundtracks of the tapestry of my life. He will be missed sorely. Such genius comes rarely, I'm glad I was here when Bowie was!

Yes, nostalgia for a past that was pure, as if the past ever was pure. :rolleyes:

Not much can be saved from his catalogue, except a good cover of Jacques Brel's Amsterdam (rather because it's Brel). After all in the great era of prog rock, Bowie had trouble to come through. He had to wait for the crap punk era to achieve fame. He was more of a character than a real music talent ...

But an anecdote about Bowie & Brel. At a French TV show presented by Guillaume Durand, the latter asked him whether he minded talking about a French singer such as Jacques Brel and Bowie replied: "I don't mind talking with you about a French singer but this is a BELGIAN singer." :D

He wanted to meet Brel but Brel refused. He wasn't Worth it, I guess.

Anybody who has played in a band or made music in any way rock-derived in the last 40 years owes a debt to David Bowie either directly or indirectly.

I always loved this best, because if you thought "Heroes" was gut-wrenching in English... it's heartbreaking in German. Think this was the "single" version, on the Christiane F. soundtrack album there's a version which has the first 2 mins in English, then the rest in German. But also "Rock & Roll Suicide", because it might be the most perfect way to sign off an album ever; a pocket symphony, with all the changes in key, time, all the build-ups and breakdowns of a true epic... in just three minutes.

There really aren't many people left in music who have had as wide an audience and as large an influence as Bowie, but who remain almost universally respected. The likes of McCartney, Entwistle, Jagger and Richards, they've had enough time as caricatures of themselves that the more time they spend in the public eye only hurts their legacy; of the others who have retained their dignity to the same extent as Bowie has, few have been as widely influential or important.

Echoes said:
Yes, nostalgia for a past that was pure, as if the past ever was pure. :rolleyes:

Not much can be saved from his catalogue, except a good cover of Jacques Brel's Amsterdam (rather because it's Brel). After all in the great era of prog rock, Bowie had trouble to come through. He had to wait for the crap punk era to achieve fame. He was more of a character than a real music talent ...

But an anecdote about Bowie & Brel. At a French TV show presented by Guillaume Durand, the latter asked him whether he minded talking about a French singer such as Jacques Brel and Bowie replied: "I don't mind talking with you about a French singer but this is a BELGIAN singer." :D

He wanted to meet Brel but Brel refused. He wasn't Worth it, I guess.

No past is "pure," Echoes, but every past was signaled by those agreeable emotions that in retrospect obtain what can only be called their "spituality."

Listening to Bowie's Heroes does it for me.

Re: Re:

Tricycle Rider said:
Carols said:
R.I.P. you're with Major Tom now dear David.
That's kinda how I imagine him right now...

First video of his I ever saw was Ashes to Ashes, being I was so young it kinda freaked me out because I didn't understand it. Had no idea I would come to appreciate Bowie so much in the future.

I guess we're from the same era, because my thoughts are the same. I'm glad he went out with a bang. I love Blackstar and every time "Sue" comes on the radio, first a huge smile comes on my face and then a wave of melancholy. "Wild is the wind" made me choke.

Tanks David

Re: Re:

sienna said:
jmdirt said:
I was aware of DB, but as a hard rock guy, it wasn't my thing. I really like the Labyrinth, and saw his '80s videos on Nigh Flicks at my girlfriends house because she like NF more than she liked me! :( :eek:

Rise Ziggy!

http://hyperallergic.com/267201/david-bowies-lazarus-video-is-a-haunting-farewell/
He did save Iggy Pop's life/career. :D

Doubt it. Pop has enough drive and brain to be able to find a way. If not Bowie then somebody else.