• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

David Gaudu discussion thread

Page 12 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
The 2019 Tour de France really wasn't strong in hindsight. Kruijswijk was 3rd, Buchmann 4th. Thomas might've won if the long run-in towards Tignes hadn't been canceled as Bernal's long-range attack might have fallen dead like towards the Covadonga lakes.

Pinot missed his golden chance to win the Tour de France.

If Gaudu hangs onto Pogacar and Vingegaard in July (which I doubt with all due respect) that's something Pinot never has done. Frankly, Gaudu could win a Giro d'Italia with the right route then.

Everybody brags about the 2020 Giro d'Italia for obvious reasons.
No doubt that was his big chance to win the Tour as Bernal wasn't that great either but good enough to win it. Pinot could have easily had a couple of podiums instead of just the one from 2014 but he was closest to a win in 2019 until it went pear shaped. But it works both ways. Pinot and Peraud wouldn't have podiumed in 2014 if Froome and Contador hadn't crashed out.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Well, in l'Equipe today, there was an article making the case that David is hot and Nono is not, so the team for Le Tour should be loaded and Nono has no place in it. I agree. For Nono, no top-10 this year except for the PN TTT. Nacer has a 7th place...that's bad.

For GFC, FdJ, whatever name we call it, it's '15 all over again, and it's the perfect route. Gaudu was Bernal before Bernal was, that was the talk back then and Egan did it. Now is Gaudu's time. The perfect route. Sorry Nono...

• Wow
Well, in l'Equipe today, there was an article making the case that David is hot and Nono is not, so the team for Le Tour should be loaded and Nono has no place in it. I agree. For Nono, no top-10 this year except for the PN TTT. Nacer has a 7th place...that's bad.

For GFC, FdJ, whatever name we call it, it's '15 all over again, and it's the perfect route. Gaudu was Bernal before Bernal was, that was the talk back then and Egan did it. Now is Gaudu's time. The perfect route. Sorry Nono...
And we know from last year that the riders in a support role will be all in for him.

And we know from last year that the riders in a support role will be all in for him.
Last year the team had two irons in the fire: Pinot was to stage-hunt and Gaudu was to have his first GT leader experience. In post-Tour interviews, Thibaut was pi**ed off that since he had not won a stage, he had wasted energy and not helped David enough.

I hope that after a great Giro (ALLEZ THIBAUT!!!), Pinot will help. Of course, we don't know how Pinot's Giro is going to endo_O ...Goran Ivanisevic, I hope:cool:. Thibaut gave David his first pro win, David's support and accelerations made the '19 Pinot epic possible. The relationship is strong.

Gaudu: Henman or Murray?

Last year the team had two irons in the fire: Pinot was to stage-hunt and Gaudu was to have his first GT leader experience. In post-Tour interviews, Thibaut was pi**ed off that since he had not won a stage, he had wasted energy and not helped David enough.

I hope that after a great Giro (ALLEZ THIBAUT!!!), Pinot will help. Of course, we don't know how Pinot's Giro is going to endo_O ...Goran Ivanisevic, I hope:cool:. Thibaut gave David his first pro win, David's support and accelerations made the '19 Pinot epic possible. The relationship is strong.

Gaudu: Henman or Murray?
Fascinating to hear what Pinot said, and very cool that he wanted to put even more effort into supporting Gaudu!

I think I read somewhere that there is a bit of a "friendly rivalry" between Pinot and Gaudu. Mostly manifesting in a "If he could do it, so can I!" mentality from Gaudu's part.
Wasn't that literally what he said after he won his second Vuelta stage back in 2020?

A great article talking about his disappointing Dauphine, his reaction to the rumours that he did not want Pinot in the Tour, and being a proud friend.

A great article talking about his disappointing Dauphine, his reaction to the rumours that he did not want Pinot in the Tour, and being a proud friend.

I laugh about it, but people sometimes say to me: “it looks like Thibaut”.
That's an unfortunate typo.

I don't particularly like this rider much (at least anymore), not after his outburst against Démare in January. He comes across as completely self-absorbed & humourless.

So I'll be rooting for him to be beaten by Pinot in the FDJ intra team hierarchy in this TdF. For neutrals I also advise you keep an eye on FDJ because there's real potential for drama.

That interview was interesting bc it was ostensibly a team fluff piece, but they talked about some of the drama. I suspect the translation was faulty, but on the other hand he showed no self-awareness, i.e. you don't air dirty laundry on social media.

Anyway, a little drama is fine by me. I'd like to see him do well as I think in form he's a terrific rider -- very good climber, punchy at the end, but not yet able to be a top climber day in, day out.

I don't particularly like this rider much (at least anymore), not after his outburst against Démare in January. He comes across as completely self-absorbed & humourless.

So I'll be rooting for him to be beaten by Pinot in the FDJ intra team hierarchy in this TdF. For neutrals I also advise you keep an eye on FDJ because there's real potential for drama.
Well who does?

I hope that he won't do well, and I think the chances of that happening are pretty good. Delusional that he'd want 7 domestiques around him. Last year he was lucky and smart to get a 4th.

Reactions: Rackham
Well who does?

I hope that he won't do well, and I think the chances of that happening are pretty good. Delusional that he'd want 7 domestiques around him. Last year he was lucky and smart to get a 4th.

Good, so it's not just me.

I didn't feel like I should even feign at being 'neutral' with regards to Gaudu, i.e. I find him... irritating. He has very few nice things to say about anyone; demands to be the center of attention of his team whilst he's always ready with loads of excuses when things go wrong & also has little digs at people (like some pettiness towards Quintana in the Tour last year: https://www.sports.fr/cyclisme/tour-de-france/gros-coup-de-gueule-de-gaudu-608813.html#item=1)

It's not like I even cared about Gaudu until a while ago, i.e. it's just every time he's in the news or getting interviewed, it seems like the contents of his remarks or behavior is 'suspect'.

So sure, I'll totally root against this guy from here on.

Good, so it's not just me.

I didn't feel like I should even feign at being 'neutral' with regards to Gaudu, i.e. I find him... irritating. He has very few nice things to say about anyone; demands to be the center of attention of his team whilst he's always ready with loads of excuses when things go wrong & also has little digs at people (like some pettiness towards Quintana in the Tour last year: https://www.sports.fr/cyclisme/tour-de-france/gros-coup-de-gueule-de-gaudu-608813.html#item=1)

It's not like I even cared about Gaudu until a while ago, i.e. it's just every time he's in the news or getting interviewed, it seems like the contents of his remarks or behavior is 'suspect'.

So sure, I'll totally root against this guy from here on.
? There's nothing in that link really?

? There's nothing in that link really?

Each to their own. It's totally cool for people to have their favorites. This is sport, i.e. one fan's "little bastard" = another's "greatest champion ever".

Basically Gaudu loves to talk, quite a bit actually. And I happen to think saying petty stuff like "hey coco, I'm gonna get you" about Quintana was super crass.

I do.
He made a mistake with regards to his comments about Demare, and he admitted as much.
He also made a mistake with his "I won't say what I think." comment regarding Pinot in the Tour. Even though it turned out that he really doesn't have anything against Pinot, what did he expect people to think?

Hmm, I think his remark about Pinot was only perceived as okay after the fact from a pro-Pinot perspective. Because what Gaudu really meant was "I don't want Démare on my TdF team".

We'll see how well he does in the Tour. The pressure is definitely on.

Reactions: xo 1