• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

David Harmon on Eurosport: Frank Schleck to attack?

Jul 23, 2009
Visit site
No less than 3 times today, David Harmon said he expected Frank Schleck to attack the yellow jersey group while teammate and brother Andy was up the road.

The first time he said it I thought, well, sometimes people can say something stupid without thinking, and I'm sure that's the last we'll hear such nonsense. It's obvious if F. Schleck did that that it would both animate and help tow the group up, especially Evans, seriously reducing the probability that Andy would win the Tour de France. Surely he realized that.

Then he said it again.

Then he said it again.

The first two times was before Evans put his head down at the front, and the last time was after. Sean Kelly never responded. I'm sure he, too, must have been stunned.

Did anybody else catch this? Doesn't any broadcaster who speaks English understand bike racing?

For a guy like Harmon to say that, it is surprising. Kelly doesn't say a whole heck of a lot, so I am sure there was at least half an hour of silence from him after Harmon's remarks, lol. In all seriousness, I too, thought that Frank would attack earlier, but knew that it would not be the best way to go, even though Evans was (seemingly) on his limit the second half of the final climb. I am sure we'll see both brothers attack tomorrow.

Dec 21, 2010
Visit site
To be fair to Harmon, i fully expected Frank to go before the final K as well.

I think today we'll see Andy weaken at the bottom slopes of Huez, and Frank go on to seal his second Alpe victory (Hereby allowing Snachez/Vandenert a chance at Polka). Then it's a free for all in the TT.

Up until yesterday, my sig was looking good. Really could have done with Frank attacking his little bro tbh.

I mean, who wants to come second to their little bro in anything :p

May 26, 2010
Visit site
If Riis is smart he'll have made a deal with BMC to ride hard as they can with Saxo up the Galibier as is possible to give Evans and Contador launch pad, but if Contador aint feeling well with his knee it'll be all down to Evans to read the stage very well as it unfolds.

May 25, 2009
Visit site
Evans wouldn't have climbed as fast if he'd had to disrupt his rhythm to respond to attacks. If Frank had the legs, it would have been a sensible thing to try - just like Frank and Andy disrupted Evans chase of Sastre on the Alpe.

A

Anonymous

I think he was talking in the context of if Andy Schleck got brought back, in fact, watching it again, now, that is the context he was talking in.