• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Davide Formolo discussion thread

Page 3 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
I never looked at him this way but after checking his results I gotta admit there's some truth in your statement: he tends to struggle in hard mountain stages (although there are exceptions).
On the other hand his recovery (let's call it consistency if you wish) looks questionable too. He never managed to contend even in short and relatively easy short stage races like TA.

He's much better on hills than long climbs, that's for sure. Which brings us to the point I was trying to make: he's a good enough climber to make the cut on Sormano, Civiglio and so on. We're not talking about a multimountain Giro stage in the Dolomiti.
This, he was also clearly the 2nd strongest behind Fuglsang in lbl on the climbs, short hills are great for him.

I never looked at him this way but after checking his results I gotta admit there's some truth in your statement: he tends to struggle in hard mountain stages (although there are exceptions).
On the other hand his recovery (let's call it consistency if you wish) looks questionable too. He never managed to contend even in short and relatively easy short stage races like TA.

He's much better on hills than long climbs, that's for sure. Which brings us to the point I was trying to make: he's a good enough climber to make the cut on Sormano, Civiglio and so on. We're not talking about a multimountain Giro stage in the Dolomiti.

I agree on your point on consistency.

However I'm not sure he would be a contender in Lombardia. He might have been this year due to the lesser field and him being in shape, but I think he would have struggled on a regular edition. His best placement has been 23rd two years in a row. Maybe he wasn't able to properly peak for Lombardia before, but I can't really see him performing there.

On the contrary, I think he could easily crack the Top10 at Fleche Wallone (despite his best performance being 27th) and even win Liege someday (i don't think his second place last year was a fluke).

PS: Hills in Lombardia are way harder than those at LBL. LBL climbs can be managed by "Ardennes" riders, but Lombardia is more suited to proper climbers.

Reactions: SafeBet
Formolo is a great rider and person, actually on of my favourite riders. I like the big gears he rides when he‘s in the red zone, and I like his facial expression then :)

Sepp Kuss seems to smile when the going gets tough, and Formolo‘s expression is even better. They both embrace the pain, just like Tyler Hamilton once did ;-)

Reactions: Sandisfan
Accident for Formolo: downhill at 60km/h against a wild boar
as reported in Italian here:

At first we were like
wild-boar-sus-scrofa-czech-260nw-612444536.jpg

Then I was like
wild-boar-sus-scrofa-260nw-235078930.jpg

Now I'm like
195808823-1cfe3dfc-8f10-4b33-aeac-6125af39d3bd.jpg

sorry Davide
baby-wild-boar-260nw-1836532510.jpg

Last edited: