• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Davis and Quickstep split

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
Allan Davis has announced that he has split from the belgian Outfit Quickstep. Does anyone now which team will he be going to and why he has split from Quickstep so late in December? What will this do to his TDU chances?

A

Anonymous

The Cycling News story said he might end up at Fly V with his brother. A story elsewhere said he's back in negotiations with Astana.

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
That's good news.

I have been throwing darts at my Quickstep team poster since July. It's funny how the darts keep landing on Boonen. "Yes Lance I do believe in miracles". I did hit Sylvain Chavanel by mistake the other day and I was devastated. I like the guy. Can't explain my lose of direction, but I guess it could have been the bag of coke I snorted out of competition.

A move to any team would be a move up for Davis and maybe he could join Cadel at BMC.

A

Anonymous

Hotbrakes said:
A move to any team would be a move up for Davis and maybe he could join Cadel at BMC.

If I were BMC I would get him. They have the potential to (at the end of 2010) have the 3 most recent world champions. Alby is a huge favourite coming into the worlds at home on a course tailored to his characteristics and Cadel already hinted as much recently, saying that Australia have a good chance to retake the rainbow with Alby, Robbie or even Stuey.

That said, i reckon if its a ProTour team, he goes to RadioShack. Don't they only have 24 riders at this stage?

It now seems certain that Davis has gone to Fly V Aus.

What's the general opinion? Will he rip apart the racing over there in the US or is he in a good spot to promote an Australian team on the Pro-Conti circuit?

Fly V has said before that they would like to race the TdF by 2012, maybe with riders like Davis this may end up possible.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
A massive step back. As much as Fly V want to be in the Pro-Tour in 2012, so too do countless other outfits. Beating up on the US circuit ain't gonna cut it.

Plus Fly are off the Parlees for next year which is a shame.

unsheath said:
A massive step back. As much as Fly V want to be in the Pro-Tour in 2012, so too do countless other outfits. Beating up on the US circuit ain't gonna cut it.

Plus Fly are off the Parlees for next year which is a shame.

Nooooooooooooooo!!!!! That is just about the worst news ever. Parlee are some of the most gorgeous bikes in the entire peloton. Everytime i see someone riding one i get this great urge to knock them off it so i can steal it. So far i haven't succumbed to the idea but it is pretty hard to resist.:D

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
It would be good for Fly V, but bad for Davis, I hope that there is interest in him from other teams. Quite frankly he should have got a release after tour debacle with Quickstep, he would have been a free agent at the right time.

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Too Good for fly V and they already have sprinters fast ones .

He will have a good team in TDU even if he has to ride the SA team.

Cant wait to watch these guys on 2nd January in Bay crits the finish of stage 1 is like a road finish.

Just want to get a look at that knee of Robbie MCEwan. hope they dont leave any plant pots out on course.

May 14, 2009
Visit site
Yep Lucy Bears.

Cycling News has it covered today too. As they mention Davis is on record stating he was talking to Astana. He mentioned this to the NewsMail in a November issue that I read online.

Plus if you read the transfer thread a poster reckons Scott Davis is also going to Astana. I have another non internet source saying the same thing.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
I'm all for familial loyalty, but Davis is not too smart to take his brother with him. If ONCE and Liberty Segurous taught him anything, he needs a wingman and leadout man. Aaron Kemps would be perfect, or someone without a contract. There are heaps.

Nov 29, 2009
Visit site
Alby was smart enough to not take someone with him to Astana who would do a better job than him. Unfortunately for Aaron, he's a better sprinter than Alan. :)

Not sure if they have been posted yet, but check the results of the club crit race last weekend for coral isle cyclists. (where Alan, Scott and Aaron all raced). :D

Sep 9, 2009
Visit site
blackcat said:
I'm all for familial loyalty, but Davis is not too smart to take his brother with him. If ONCE and Liberty Segurous taught him anything, he needs a wingman and leadout man. Aaron Kemps would be perfect, or someone without a contract. There are heaps.

If ONCE and Liberty Seguros taught him anything, it's... well perhaps that's best left to the Clinic.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Mickey said:
Alby was smart enough to not take someone with him to Astana who would do a better job than him. Unfortunately for Aaron, he's a better sprinter than Alan. :)

Not sure if they have been posted yet, but check the results of the club crit race last weekend for coral isle cyclists. (where Alan, Scott and Aaron all raced). :D
lets see Kemps there after 260km in San Remo. Davis is the better sprinter after a tought 5 hour race.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
blackcat said:

I would be a bit surprised with him going to Astana as that is the team which got him into hot water with operacion puerto. I do understand it is a different team make up but I think he needs to stick away from there.

TRENDING THREADS