• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

DC and cycling the scene

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
So I just moved to DC.

Are there any forum members who know something about

1) routes. I live near Rock Creek Park/Cleveland Park, so I was hoping someone knows some nice routes/loops (40-60 miles) that start there, without too many traffic lights (they slow you down) and, yes I am asking for the impossible, without too many cars. I don't own a car, so I don't really have the option to go out to the countryside of VA or MD. Perhaps not all routes have been shared on mapmyride, and someone could share the gem with me ;)

2) clubs. Are there any club members/team riders, and if so, why do you like your club? What is the reputation of the different clubs, are some more competitive and others more recreational? How often do you go on group rides and how long are they approximately? What are the costs involved etc?

3) racing. What's going on in the DC racing scene?

any help/advice/hints/tips/introductions would be greatly appreciated.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Used to live in DC years ago and ran a team there....lots of races and teams.

Rock Creek is a popular area for rides, etc. just hanging round there will get you lumped in with group rides.

Go to the VeloNews forum and ping Keith Richards (one of the mods there). Good guy and lives in DC and can give you all the details.

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
1. Get on the MABRA list. http://groups.google.com/group/mabra-uscf

2. There are TONS of people riding and racing in DC, but be patient in getting to know them. I never found them that helpful, but if I kept asking questions, I did get answers.

3. Here's a really neat route that you can knock out in under 2 hours if you tire of Rock Creek. You can see that it's just a tear drop. You can add/extend/redo at will and get in a decent ride.

4. If you like riding in the dirt, Schaeffer Farms trails are just splendid good fun. Skill level means nothing, you can let your legs choose the difficulty.

Mar 3, 2009
Visit site
Bala Verde said:
1) routes. I live near Rock Creek Park/Cleveland Park, so I was hoping someone knows some nice routes/loops (40-60 miles) that start there, without too many traffic lights (they slow you down) and, yes I am asking for the impossible, without too many cars. I don't own a car, so I don't really have the option to go out to the countryside of VA or MD. Perhaps not all routes have been shared on mapmyride, and someone could share the gem with me ;)

Our good friends at Cyclingnews' sister site Bikeradar.com can help too:

http://www.bikeradar.com/routes/?sr...region=130&is=&isnot=&x=97&y=10&run=listpaths

Cheers
Greg Johnson

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Hey guys,

thanks a bunch already. I'll try to contact some of the people you mentioned and sign up for the group to see what the insiders are saying!

much appreciated.