• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

De Brabantse Pijl: April 14th 2021

brabantse-pijl.png

Discuss!

I don't have a profile, so if you do please post it. Did they change anything? Is it a secret due to Covid?
And can somebody please insert a picture of that look on Ala's face last year when he sees van der Poel coming through under his arm?

Slightly disappointing start list, if you ask me, but still some nice contenders, like van Aert, who makes his debut, van Avermaet, Jasper Stuyven, Trentin and Cosnefroy. AG2R with the best roster here, in my opinion, but can they beat van Aert? Bahrain also has a few good guys at the start. Well, see for yourself, here's the full startlist: https://www.procyclingstats.com/race/brabantse-pijl/2021/result/startlist

Two big changes compared to last year: the Moskesstraat has been mutilated to the point where it really doesn't qualify as cobbled anymore, and the Schavei is out due to road works. They climb the more gradual main road through the S-curve instead.

Map
Schermopname-19.png

brabantse-pijl-2021-result-profile-e2015fe5a5.jpg

Key climbs
Hagaard
hagaard.png

Hertstraat
hertstraat-overijse.png

Moskesstraat
moskesstraat-terlanen.png

Holstheide
holstheide.png

S-Bocht Overijse (finish)
brabantse-pijl-2021-result-climb-n12-bb7fef3dc3.jpg

Last edited:
Two big changes compared to last year: the Moskesstraat has been mutilated to the point where it really doesn't qualify as cobbled anymore, and the Schavei is out due to road works. They climb the more gradual main road through the S-curve instead.
More importantly btw, that abomination of a cobbles road was renovated for the WC RR this year.
Great job, the cycling world will be super thankful.

Suprisingly few of the top names on the startlist. No Alaphillipe, Hirschi, Woods, Fuglsang, Schachmann or Slovenians (guess most of there are out due to competing in Pais Vasco). Big chance for Van Aert here. Colbrelli, Matthews, Trentin, Teuns and Van Avermaet the most important challengers to Van Aert.

Reactions: Pantani_lives
This lap is quite a lot easier than in past years. The S climb on the big road is to easy for pros. Will be much more of a group sprint.

They could have added the Hertstraat cobbled descent and climb to make it hard but maybe not so bad they didn't cause someone might have to idea to redo those cobbles aswel :confused:

Suprisingly few of the top names on the startlist. No Alaphillipe, Hirschi, Woods, Fuglsang, Schachmann or Slovenians (guess most of there are out due to competing in Pais Vasco). Big chance for Van Aert here. Colbrelli, Matthews, Trentin, Teuns and Van Avermaet the most important challengers to Van Aert.

No Slovenians? What the hell are you calling Matej Mohoric, and Luka Mezgec then? :p

Colbrelli should do well here. He is my favourite.

Van Aert should do well here. He is my favourite.

GVA should do well here. He is my favourite.

Laporte should do well here. He is my favourite.

Pidcock should do well here. He is my favourite.

I like this race. One of my favourites.

You may have to ask BlueRoads whether or not you're allowed to cheer for all of them.

Annemiek Van Vleuten will win this bike race!
Yeah, I'm just assuming that this thread is of course obviously also for the ladies!

I was surprised to see her name on the startlist, considering she hasn't rode it before and that many other big names won't be present.
SD Worx may still be the strongest team, so if they play their cards right AvV could end up in trouble. But she is definitely the clear favourite.

brabantse-pijl-we-2021-result-profile-ace512c344.jpg

And why Alaphilippe isn't racing? I mean after Tirreno he only had three days of racing, it's nearly a month since then. Certainly not ideal preparation for Ardennes...

Reactions: Sandisfan

TRENDING THREADS