• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Dekker to talk with WADA

Problem is rabobank were not involved.

Dekker was probably working on own accord, and he said in his documentary the rumors about italy and austria are funny to him "people should search closer to home". So probably some Dutch/Belgian doping ring excists or excisted

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Problem is rabobank were not involved.

Dekker was probably working on own accord, and he said in his documentary the rumors about italy and austria are funny to him "people should search closer to home". So probably some Dutch/Belgian doping ring excists or excisted

Nobody still at Rabobank but former DS's and riders were.

Which one will be the first to use "Bitter"?

Some people tell how they took dope, when they would have been positieve when tested, and still not share any names.
I have hopes for Dekker's openness, but not holding my breath. If he goes all out and says names, he won't be riding in the peloton anymore within 2 seasons. Or the peloton will be decimated itself. You pick.

I'm afraid this may turn out to be yet another scenario of his word against whomever he tells on.
How is this different from what Landis and Hamilton said of you know who ?
We are expecting big news, we want big news, but will disappointed once again, with a "he said, she said" scenario , without any evidence to back any claims. If he does start naming, his demise will be a quick one.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
masking_agent said:
I'm afraid this may turn out to be yet another scenario of his word against whomever he tells on.
How is this different from what Landis and Hamilton said of you know who ?
We are expecting big news, we want big news, but will disappointed once again, with a "he said, she said" scenario , without any evidence to back any claims. If he does start naming, his demise will be a quick one.

I'm expecting a "he told all he knows and now the responsible bodies in cycling will deal with this matter internally" scenario.

I must add that it's significant he first sat out his 2 years, and didn't bargain for anything. If anything, he's going to get tested more thoroughly, if his info brings forth any new knowledge. Way to be sure you stay clean, have the testers up to date with what you're up to.

Cloxxki said:
I must add that it's significant he first sat out his 2 years, and didn't bargain for anything. If anything, he's going to get tested more thoroughly, if his info brings forth any new knowledge. Way to be sure you stay clean, have the testers up to date with what you're up to.

You are assuming the tests are aggressive and current with whatever the current PED protocol is in the peloton.

You are also assuming the UCI isn't passing the test procedures in use back to the DS's and peloton.

You are assuming a race promoter WANTS a positive at their event. They don't! So they test for stuff only an idiot would use.

If Dekker is honest, the testimony disappears in the UCI never to be seen again. It would be nice if law enforcement had something to prosecute, but I'm not holding my breath.

Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Cloxxki said:

What does it signify though?....

Was he was waiting for a new contract before saying anything? Is he trying to please his boss and get a promotion? Has WADA only recently taken an interest in the information he has? Would he have been up for aggravating circumstances if he disclosed when his case was being decided? Might he be taking preemptive action because he thinks more info about him is going to come out soon?

Or is it simply that he has taken two years to accept that omerta ultimately causes people to make decisions that can wreak their lives and has decided to do something about it?

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Cloxxki said:
come on, he is pulling a page from Millar's101

DirtyWorks said:
You are assuming the tests are aggressive and current with whatever the current PED protocol is in the peloton.

You are also assuming the UCI isn't passing the test procedures in use back to the DS's and peloton.

You are assuming a race promoter WANTS a positive at their event. They don't! So they test for stuff only an idiot would use.

If Dekker is honest, the testimony disappears in the UCI never to be seen again. It would be nice if law enforcement had something to prosecute, but I'm not holding my breath.

I was actually assuming he'd speak to WADA only. If he's sharing all he has to say with the UCI as well...euhm yes, then we can go back to our daily scheduling.

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
The whole thing feels like a PR exercise. Cant really understand why JV and Garmin would sign him. Don't they have some kind of anti doping policy?

May 26, 2010
Visit site
dolophonic said:
The whole thing feels like a PR exercise. Cant really understand why JV and Garmin would sign him. Don't they have some kind of anti doping policy?

Hard for Garmin to say we dont take (ex)cheats in when you have JV, ex doper as the team owner and Millar as part team owner.

Oct 16, 2010
Visit site
dolophonic said:

...and we have a winner...

Garmin's policy is to sign ex-dopers: if you've already been caught once (the chances of which are slim), you're simply statistically unlikely to get caught again.

sniper said:
...and we have a winner...

Garmin's policy is to sign ex-dopers: if you've already been caught once (the chances of which are slim), you're simply statistically unlikely to get caught again.
Garmin's official policy is to give riders a dope-free environment where they aren't pressured to dope, implying most if not all of their veteran riders were in doping teams or doped themselves, and tacitly admitting so. If you accept this premise, signing Dekker makes perfect sense.

hrotha said:
Garmin's official policy is to give riders a dope-free environment where they aren't pressured to dope, implying most if not all of their veteran riders were in doping teams or doped themselves, and tacitly admitting so. If you accept this premise, signing Dekker makes perfect sense.

That's nicely broad. Somebody could still dope while at Garmin, it's just that they weren't under pressure to do so. Like most of the confessions say these days.

Team Clean-spirited. :D

L'arriviste said:
That's nicely broad. Somebody could still dope while at Garmin, it's just that they weren't under pressure to do so.

Well, yes, of course.

Take them at face value for a moment and assume that Garmin management are absolutely sincere about running a dope free team. So they have an internal testing programme, encourage riders to cooperate with the authorities, and provide them with a team situation where they aren't being pressured to dope and indeed are pressured not to do so.

Even with the best will in the world, they don't have mind control powers. If a rider is very careful and reasonably clever and determined to dope, he might well be able to do so while circumventing internal as well as external controls. The team can stop you jacking up on the bus, but they can't keep an eye on you every moment of every day. And while a team can avoid pressuring you to dope themselves, they can't simply abolish personal ambition or greed. All that even an absolutely perfect team could do is provide an anti-doping atmosphere and internal testing. The ultimate decision rests with the rider in such a situation.

In fairness to Garmin, they've been going for quite a few years now without even a hint of a doping scandal. And it's not as if Vaughters is Mr Popularity over in UCI headquarters.

TRENDING THREADS