Dekker's B-sample also positive, admits to doping

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
May 6, 2009
8,522
1
0
Race Radio said:
They did not know of the EPO positive as it was only (re) tested recently. They did know about his unusual values.

Team director Harold Knebel told the Dutch television broadcaster NOS that doping had played no role in the team's decision to terminate his contract. “The reason is that we both lost confidence in each other.” The team became aware of his doping only after the news was announced this summer, he said.

Dekker vows to return after suspension - cyclingnews.com

Just going off what I read.
 
Jun 21, 2009
847
0
0
craig1985 said:
Team director Harold Knebel told the Dutch television broadcaster NOS that doping had played no role in the team's decision to terminate his contract. “The reason is that we both lost confidence in each other.” The team became aware of his doping only after the news was announced this summer, he said.

Dekker vows to return after suspension - cyclingnews.com

Just going off what I read.

you should stop believing the BS spouted by people with an agenda and think for yourself - why would knebel admit they knew he was doping (had unusual values) while he was on their team?
 
Mar 10, 2009
7,268
1
0
The irregular values were insufficient for the UCI to prevent him from racing, which they even backed with a public/written statement.

As a DS, you can't just accuse someone publicly, or admit publicly, that someone dopes or that you suspect he dopes, because:

1) you have no absolute proof, even the UCI didn't
2) you make it impossible for the rider to continue elsewhere (whereas you as DS are just concerned about running a risk, when something smells fishy)
3) you obviously tarnish your own reputation.

On top of that, I believe RAB has always been rather annoyed - even more so when the doping hunt went in overdrive - with him moving to Italy, and him working with Checcini. I also think they forced him to break ties with him...

The irregular values were the final straw and they obviously didn't want to get burnt.

Subsequently, OP Lotto signed him, because they needed someone instantly to replace Kohl, and they thought they could get away with it.
 
May 17, 2009
126
0
0
Mongol_Waaijer said:
Dekker was liked by most of the Dutch riders and disliked by many of the non Dutch riders.

He had a "super talent" reputation as a young amateur.
So you think it's likely his results in 2004 (including a dominant win in the dutch TT championship) were done clean?

There are 2 other current young Dutch pro riders who did have reputations as chargers while amateurs though....one of whom also happens to be a total co*k.
I'd love to know who... I'm guessing Hoogerland is one of them.
 
Aug 13, 2009
12,855
1
0
craig1985 said:
Team director Harold Knebel told the Dutch television broadcaster NOS that doping had played no role in the team's decision to terminate his contract. “The reason is that we both lost confidence in each other.” The team became aware of his doping only after the news was announced this summer, he said.

Dekker vows to return after suspension - cyclingnews.com

Just going off what I read.

From what i have heard the larger issue was that he refused to release his UCI values to the team. He was also often hard to track down, kind of like the chicken.
 
What if Dekker's suspension comes in JUST the right time?
What if by the 2011 main season, when he takes to Europe's roads again, most of the usual suspects will have retired, or be sitting out a ban?
There may just be less competition for Dekker to deal with when he returns. Now if he pulls a Lance, and manages to turn his body around (albeit without the life threatening disease) to become an even better climber and time trialist...I do think the kid has the genes for it. Perhaps not the head, proved by his dynepo use.
 
May 6, 2009
8,522
1
0
Race Radio said:
From what i have heard the larger issue was that he refused to release his UCI values to the team. He was also often hard to track down, kind of like the chicken.

Well I guess he was either in Tuscany or Austria, if you tried either one of the places, I'm sure you would have found him.
 
Bala Verde said:
On top of that, I believe RAB has always been rather annoyed - even more so when the doping hunt went in overdrive - with him moving to Italy, and him working with Checcini. I also think they forced him to break ties with him...

Before the Rasmussen affair, Rabo gave a lot of freedom to its riders. Outside of the races, they would choose their own training schedule and the DS might not know where they were. Afterwards, they became much more strict and controlling. Supposedly, Dekker couldn't deal with this. I think that the relationship soured at that time, not during the Cecchini affair. When he had to stop seeing Cecchini, Dekker was still a superstar at Rabo and they weren't too angry with him.
 
Mar 10, 2009
7,268
1
0
Aapjes said:
Before the Rasmussen affair, Rabo gave a lot of freedom to its riders. Outside of the races, they would choose their own training schedule and the DS might not know where they were. Afterwards, they became much more strict and controlling. Supposedly, Dekker couldn't deal with this. I think that the relationship soured at that time, not during the Cecchini affair. When he had to stop seeing Cecchini, Dekker was still a superstar at Rabo and they weren't too angry with him.

Yes, you are correct! here is a link to a report from 2006 about Dekker's contract extension
 
Yup, he was the only Dutch hope at the time.

I think the way Gesink has developed over the past few years has eased Rabobank's choice in dumping Dekker. They had a new Dutch rider with more talent, and who didn't engage with italian trainers and such, and who is easier to handle.

Rabobank desperately needed a new Dutch toprider to replace Boogerd/E.Dekker and when T.Dekker came along they did everything to please him, even though they knew there were taking a lot of risks. Gesink really saved them from worse in some ways I think... Although, we never know when the Austrian bubble will burst...