• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Denis Menchov (not) crashing?

May 25, 2009
Visit site
Given his propensity to crash (often on straight roads and so forth) I am a little surprised that, in this tour of many crashes, I haven't heard of a single one involving Denis. Last year he seemed to hit the deck on every stage, not to mention his splendid antics in the Giro. His apparently poor bike handling has always endeared him to me; especially moments like when he managed to crash going uphill in the 2008 Tour. Is he (ironically) one of the few riders to have managed not to crash in this year's race or have I just missed them? Also did I really hear Chris Boardman describe Menchov as a great descender? or I did I imagine that?

Wattie said:
Given his propensity to crash (often on straight roads and so forth) I am a little surprised that, in this tour of many crashes, I haven't heard of a single one involving Denis. Last year he seemed to hit the deck on every stage, not to mention his splendid antics in the Giro. His apparently poor bike handling has always endeared him to me; especially moments like when he managed to crash going uphill in the 2008 Tour. Is he (ironically) one of the few riders to have managed not to crash in this year's race or have I just missed them? Also did I really hear Chris Boardman describe Menchov as a great descender? or I did I imagine that?

+1 LOL. Great post. I was thinking the same thing today, wondering if The Silent Assassin had consulted with someone like Salvodelli, as Contador did when he sought-out Van Petegem, or if Menchov's crashes have become so standard that they're not even worthy of mention.

I think he's stayed-upright!

No idea re. Boardman quote...

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
hmmm TT to come. the race of truth. no teammates to hold him upright

hehe

and yes, i believe he is one of the select few not to have crashed. even didnt even go down on stage 2, something that can't be claimed by half the peloton

A

Anonymous

joe_papp said:
+1 LOL. Great post. I was thinking the same thing today, wondering if The Silent Assassin had consulted with someone like Salvodelli, as Contador did when he sought-out Van Petegem, or if Menchov's crashes have become so standard that they're not even worthy of mention.

I think he's stayed-upright!

No idea re. Boardman quote...

You gooched him!

He's sure to crash now....:)

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
He has run into a closed door in his hotel.
Tripped going up the stage stairs when signing on before stage 13.
Spilt 5 jugs of milk at breakfast in the morning.
Fallen off his seat in the team bus 3 times.

But nothing on the bike so far.