• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

derailleur tune system by OTTO?

oneleghammer said:
Has anyone seen this new company and product for derailleur tuning with iPhone - http://ottodesignworks.com" target="_blank" rel="nofollow Product does not look to be available yet, but what is the forum user viewpoint? seems like cool idea

5 minutes? Seems like a long time and complicated, compared to 'adjusting rear der'. I think a video explaining what the derailleurs actually do and how they do it would go further, particularly the front.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
I like it. I think its a great idea. Tech can be used smartly and I think this may attract a few to have a go at setting up their own rear mech. It can easily be updated to whatever new mech comes onto the market.
I understand what you are saying Bustedknuckle and you are not wrong but I don't see the harm in this and it looks simple enough to use.

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
How often does your derailleur need adjusting? If you've crashed on it sure, but then what you really need is a hanger alignment.
If you're changing wheels often enough to justify buying a special tool, you should already know how to tune your shifting in 1/4 the time without the tool. I'm with bustedknuckle o nthis one. Watching a video (or <gasp>reading a BOOK) explaining how the derailleurs work would have far more long term value than a cheesy tool and smart phone app. What are you going to do, carry the plastic thingies with you so you can tune your derailleur after your lawyer buddy's Venge topples over at the coffee shop and takes your Dogma with it?

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Re:

dsut4392 said:
How often does your derailleur need adjusting? If you've crashed on it sure, but then what you really need is a hanger alignment.
If you're changing wheels often enough to justify buying a special tool, you should already know how to tune your shifting in 1/4 the time without the tool. I'm with bustedknuckle o nthis one. Watching a video (or <gasp>reading a BOOK) explaining how the derailleurs work would have far more long term value than a cheesy tool and smart phone app. What are you going to do, carry the plastic thingies with you so you can tune your derailleur after your lawyer buddy's Venge topples over at the coffee shop and takes your Dogma with it?

Yes :D

ray j willings said:
I like it. I think its a great idea. Tech can be used smartly and I think this may attract a few to have a go at setting up their own rear mech. It can easily be updated to whatever new mech comes onto the market.
I understand what you are saying Bustedknuckle and you are not wrong but I don't see the harm in this and it looks simple enough to use.

There is no 'harm' and it may help the garage guy but I still think a couple of minutes with a good bike shop wrench, who actually understands how a derailleur, 'derails' would go further.

Jun 10, 2009
Visit site
Re: Re:

ray j willings said:
dsut4392 said:

Yes :D
Drilled out I hope? Gotta save those grams ;)

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I have known a few bike shop mechanics that need this tool. I get this is basic mechanical skill for a bike mechanic but it can reveal small errors that less experienced guys miss or don't remember to adjust. I have a very good eye for straight, plum or square but I have trouble with parallel especially where there is an angle or displacement between both planes like between the cage and the frame. I have a drop out alignment tool and it does most of the hard work but I might miss a bent derrallieur, especially a minor bend.
I agree for the most part a mechanic does this several times a day but his tool is useful and the visual alignment is fascinating. I am very interested in how that works.
No I won't be buying it but I see it as useful for home mechanics, especially the less experienced ones.