• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Di Luca and the Abruzzo earthquake??

Apr 8, 2009
Visit site
I thought I read something about Danilo DiLuca collecting items to auction on Ebay. Benefits would go to the victims of the Abruzzo earthquake.

I don't remember where I saw it, but it was a very brief mention in the tail end of a separate article. He was working with other cyclists.

Any additional news on this? I've searched the web, and even searched ebay, but no luck yet.

Thanks in advance for any help.

-Bob

Apr 8, 2009
Visit site
....sorry, here's the article

from CYCLINGNEWS of all places:

Petacchi to help earthquake victims

Alessandro Petacchi, winner of yesterday's Scheldeprijs race in Belgium, is joining teammate Danilo Di Luca to help raise money for the victims of the earthquake that struck central Italy's Abruzzo region last Monday.

"Cyclists are often divided, but this is an occasion to demonstrate our unity and solidarity," said Petacchi to La Gazzetta dello Sport.

Di Luca, who is from Abruzzo, is collecting diverse cycling items to auction on eBay. The profits from the auctions will go to the earthquake victims.

"You are able to see some of what happened on television, but it does not tell the whole story of what those people are going through," Petacchi said.

A magnitude 6.3 earthquake struck Abruzzo's L'Aquila area last Monday. Funeral services were held Friday for 205 of the estimated 293 victims.

whiteboytrash

BANNED
Mar 17, 2009
Visit site
Danilo Tifoso said:
I thought I read something about Danilo DiLuca collecting items to auction on Ebay. Benefits would go to the victims of the Abruzzo earthquake.

I don't remember where I saw it, but it was a very brief mention in the tail end of a separate article. He was working with other cyclists.

Any additional news on this? I've searched the web, and even searched ebay, but no luck yet.

Thanks in advance for any help.

-Bob

Yes DiLuca said he auction off all the medals he won when doping like a out of work rock-star. Which is all of them.

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
whiteboytrash said:
Yes DiLuca said he auction off all the medals he won when doping like a out of work rock-star. Which is all of them.

Doping aside, he's actually trying to do some good here.
Show some respect! If not to him, to the victims and their families!

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Zoncolan said:
Doping aside, he's actually trying to do some good here.

OK, take this one.

Lance wins the tour. Thanks to his he raises over 400 million euros in private funding and intense government cooperation in cancer research from, say, France.

After it's all set in motion (lives are being saved here) some journalist digs up some facts and he openly explains in an interview he had a custom made 'superhuman' designer drug to help him with his bigger cause. He cares about cycling, knew he would destroy it this way, but also knew this was a way to get huge money towards the, more important, cancer problem.

Historical hero, destroyer of sportsmanship for all eternity, both or something else?

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
ak-zaaf said:
OK, take this one.

Lance wins the tour. Thanks to his he raises over 400 million euros in private funding and intense government cooperation in cancer research from, say, France.

After it's all set in motion (lives are being saved here) some journalist digs up some facts and he openly explains in an interview he had a custom made 'superhuman' designer drug to help him with his bigger cause. He cares about cycling, knew he would destroy it this way, but also knew this was a way to get huge money towards the, more important, cancer problem.

Historical hero, destroyer of sportsmanship for all eternity, both or something else?
In our beloved sport, almost all at the top dope, Di Luca being a known doper. There's no disputing that.
My point was, the guy is doing something good for the people in Abruzzo.
It's the same thing you had with celebs going to NO after Katrina struck. Many people were criticising them, saying they're only in it for fame.
I say, what's the difference?
This has nothing to do with doping.
It has to do with Di Luca, a person in position to raise money using his name to do it. How he got to be famous is beyond the point.
We can discuss Di Luca and his doping if you like, but here there was no need to bring it up.
This isn't about racing, it's about somebody trying to help some people who need help.

And yes, the same goes for LA, he should use his fame to help people.
If you catch him doping, ban him from racing, make him return prize money, sue him for fraud...
As for Lance destroying cycling. I always thought he won all those Tours not because he was the best athlete, but because he had the best support (medical, teammates...).
But he didn't invent doping, cycling had a history of doping way before he was even born. Even that worst product that has changed the sport so much in the last 15-20 years came before he started winning.
As for him creating a super drug? Arrest him and throw him in jail, take away his win...
...are you going to force those people who received help to give the money back? Is that it?

Actually, I'm pretty sure his tests were negative. But that doesn't mean anything, I know.

I agree with you. If he can do some good, let him do it. The same goes for Eddy Mazzolini who is currently suspended from cycling. If he can get out there and help people of Abruzzo in need, let him.

TRENDING THREADS