• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Di Luca using team radio?

I've heard it said many a time that Danilo Di Luca doesn't use a radio- he instead races like a warrior and relies instead on his guts, brains, and experience. Is this the case in the Giro he's currently leading?
I've looked through the pictures on this site, and can't see any wires coming out of his ear.

Thanks!

-AM

Apr 1, 2009
Visit site
Doping aside, I always liked Di Luca's style. Very agressive, instinctive rider.
No surprise to me if he's not using an earpiece.
It would be nice to see more guys thinking for themselves, rather than just doing whatever the DS's tell them.

Apr 2, 2009
Visit site
I hope he isn't using one! I like his style of riding. He seems to ride like the racers of the 80's, by instinct. I like that way much better. Then the strategy is between the riders not team cars, etc.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
AgostinoMassagrande said:
I've heard it said many a time that Danilo Di Luca doesn't use a radio- he instead races like a warrior and relies instead on his guts, brains, and experience. Is this the case in the Giro he's currently leading?
I've looked through the pictures on this site, and can't see any wires coming out of his ear.

Thanks!

-AM
That's a fantastic username you chose. A Agostino Massagrande's book still is my favourite reference book for cycling training, though it is 15 years old.

I think it's awesome, and would like to see Race Radio curbed anyway. Kudos to Danilo for going old school and having the acumen to think on his own. I doubt his team really minds, as the guy is a leader and a winner.

I know he got caught up in the OFD mess, but I like the way the guy rides, and with his work for the Abruzzo quake victims this year, I'd be happy if he rides in to Rome in pink.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Race radios can be interesting too. In the May issue of Italian magazine Bicisport, the Gent - Wevelgem article focuses on the race as seen from the Liquigas car, and reports frantic radio convos between DS Zanatta and Quinziato. It actually reminded me of SNAFU moments in war movies.

TRENDING THREADS