• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Di2 tips

Jul 17, 2015
Visit site
It looks like I might be about to get the use of a bike with the 6870 Di2 gruppo on it. It isn't mine but I've offered to 'look after it' ( ;) )for at least the next 8 months while the owner will be overseas.

I really don't know much about these except that you plug it in and charge it every 1000k or so, but I've also heard that it can put itself into crash mode if you bang it and there is a way of getting it out of that using a secret sequence of lever presses. I've also heard that you can plug into into a pc and *** about with it. (....must resist....must resist..)

Can anybody enlighten me? Or link me to an operating manual?

x

Jul 17, 2015
Visit site
Re:

JackRabbitSlims said:
perhaps a follow up post / thread in a week or so

with impressions review & pics?

Yes, sure, if you think people will be interested. I might get the chance to pick it up next week, but I'm not sure how soon I'll get the chance to ride it.

I would be very interested in an "average rider" perspective (I don't want to insult you so if you're an avid racer tell me to get bent!! :D ). What I really want to know is if someone who thinks it's unnecessary (as you've said before) could actually be swayed by the improvement in performance. I get the feeling an electronic 105 group is only a couple of years away and when it gets to that level it'll be something I'll have to consider.

Jul 17, 2015
Visit site
Re:

King Boonen said:
I would be very interested in an "average rider" perspective (I don't want to insult you so if you're an avid racer tell me to get bent!! :D ). What I really want to know is if someone who thinks it's unnecessary (as you've said before) could actually be swayed by the improvement in performance. I get the feeling an electronic 105 group is only a couple of years away and when it gets to that level it'll be something I'll have to consider.

Wow, did I say that? Are you sure it was me? I've been mulling it for a while, but also trying to talk myself out of it. At least this way I get to do an extensive road test without having to pay for it.

EDIT: yes I did say that didn't I in the discussion about hydraulic brakes. I suppose I agree with myself :D It is unneccessary, but I haven't met anybody yet who has swapped to di2 and regretted it.

Picking bike up mid-week :p

Re: Re:

wendybnt said:
King Boonen said:

Wow, did I say that? Are you sure it was me? I've been mulling it for a while, but also trying to talk myself out of it. At least this way I get to do an extensive road test without having to pay for it.

EDIT: yes I did say that didn't I in the discussion about hydraulic brakes. I suppose I agree with myself :D It is unneccessary, but I haven't met anybody yet who has swapped to di2 and regretted it.

Picking bike up mid-week :p

Yes, you did, I have a very good memory :D

A review would be excellent. I'm planning something for next year then the year after I might treat myself so it would be good to have an honest opinion. Everyone I know who has it races. They love it, but they only ever talk about how good it is to race on.

Jul 17, 2015
Visit site
Ok, had to swap stems and saddles about, but still managed to get out on it for 25 miles.

It works :D

It is a bit hard to give a review as on reflection I think the advantages are a bit more subtle than immediate function. I took it out in the rain and there was crap all over the road spraying onto the bike. It occurred to me that if it was a mechanical bike I would have been cursing, and then just looking forward to the shifting degrading as the crud got transferred to the cable inners. Its often only when you change inner and outer cables that you realise just how much crapper the changing had become. Fresh cables are great. This shouldn't happen with DI2 as there are no cables.

The shifting is obviously very quick and slick, but its the front shifting that will prove to make the biggest difference. You are just pressing a button rather than having to give a big sweep of a lever. Campagnolo users will appreciate this the most as the action on their levers is heaviest. Long rides in crap weather have worn my hands out, but the DI2 should put an end to it.

It's early days, but if the kit I'm borrowing performs as well as everyone else's then I think I can look forward to flawless shifting for a long time.

One fairly major gripe, though. I'm surprised Shimano broadly mimicked the shifter position of mechanical stis when they designed DI2. They didn't need to, as obviously the shift levers are just micro-switches. I think they could have done a better job with this, as the buttons are very close together and in gloves it will be hard to tell them apart.

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site
Re:

wendybnt said:
Ok, had to swap stems and saddles about, but still managed to get out on it for 25 miles.

It works :D

It is a bit hard to give a review as on reflection I think the advantages are a bit more subtle than immediate function. I took it out in the rain and there was crap all over the road spraying onto the bike. It occurred to me that if it was a mechanical bike I would have been cursing, and then just looking forward to the shifting degrading as the crud got transferred to the cable inners. Its often only when you change inner and outer cables that you realise just how much crapper the changing had become. Fresh cables are great. This shouldn't happen with DI2 as there are no cables.

The shifting is obviously very quick and slick, but its the front shifting that will prove to make the biggest difference. You are just pressing a button rather than having to give a big sweep of a lever. Campagnolo users will appreciate this the most as the action on their levers is heaviest. Long rides in crap weather have worn my hands out, but the DI2 should put an end to it.

It's early days, but if the kit I'm borrowing performs as well as everyone else's then I think I can look forward to flawless shifting for a long time.

One fairly major gripe, though. I'm surprised Shimano broadly mimicked the shifter position of mechanical stis when they designed DI2. They didn't need to, as obviously the shift levers are just micro-switches. I think they could have done a better job with this, as the buttons are very close together and in gloves it will be hard to tell them apart.

It was raining most of the day in London today " I presume you was in London" I managed to get a dry window between 10.30 - 1pm. I Stayed dry :D
I have rode di2 before , I find it a very disconnected feeling from the bike. It worked great just felt like I was not really shifting the gear and I find with my Red that I can feel my shifting across the rear cog and know what gear I'm in without thinking.

Sep 18, 2015
Visit site
I have my TT Plasma 3 bike set up with an ultegra di2.
There is a HUGE step in comfort riding both on aerobars and levers, and the real deal is when you climb, no need to move from the brakes to change gears, it happens that you really use all you have instead of pushing hard just because you don't have time/will to change cog. Output is a smoother ride,easier to go steady state and longer, and that little bit of weight is not really a problem when riding a tt bike

Jul 17, 2015
Visit site
Ok, I've put a few miles into it now and have a better idea of how it all functions. I can't quite believe it but I actually plugged my bike into a computer the other day :D

The much vaunted smooth upshift onto the big ring whilst climbing thing is a bit overstated. You still have to pay attention to your cadence, and if you don't it will still crunch the gears. Yeah, it is all very smooth and slick and I like it, but I'm still bugged out by the stupid ergonomics on the levers.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
in the U23 Road Race in Richmond an Italian rider hit his rear der against a wall and it went into protect mode. Could not get it to work while riding so he wound up waiting for the team car. A long wait from the breakaway group to back of the bunch. The shimano support car had no help for him either. Mechanical might have worked right through the hit.

Jul 17, 2015
Visit site
I'll bear that in mind next time I find myself in an U23 World Championship race :D

Or maybe I'll just make sure to press the button for 5 seconds.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Re:

wendybnt said:
I'll bear that in mind next time I find myself in an U23 World Championship race :D

Or maybe I'll just make sure to press the button for 5 seconds.
Not only did he push the button for 6 seconds, so did the shimano mechanic out of the neutral support car. Same result, only 2 gears 39/11 and 53/ 11

Re:

Master50 said:
in the U23 Road Race in Richmond an Italian rider hit his rear der against a wall and it went into protect mode. Could not get it to work while riding so he wound up waiting for the team car. A long wait from the breakaway group to back of the bunch. The shimano support car had no help for him either. Mechanical might have worked right through the hit.
Yes I finally found some discussion on this failure. that derailleur would not move up. Martinelli was having a good ride. I would like to see an explanation of that very public failure from Shimano before considering a Di2
purchase

ray j willings said:
wendybnt said:
Stuff breaks. Doesn't matter whether its di2 or mechanical.

But mechanical is far easier to fix. No tech issues to worry about.

What does that even mean, 'no tech issues'??

Electronic does an onboard diagnostic(except spam), so it is easier to fix, cuz either shimano or Campagnolo tells you where to look. BUT it works far more reliably because no cables or housing. You have owned both mechanical and electronic, right Ray?

Aug 4, 2011
Visit site

Bustedknuckle said:
ray j willings said:
wendybnt said:

Electronic does an onboard diagnostic(except spam), so it is easier to fix, cuz either shimano or Campagnolo tells you where to look. BUT it works far more reliably because no cables or housing. You have owned both mechanical and electronic, right Ray?
What , so you carry a diagnostic machine in your back pocket do you?
How is it more reliable. What's not reliable about a cable set up?
If something breaks I can fix it.
Something goes wrong with di2 ,you have to find somewhere that can diagnose the issue and the hope it can sort out the problem.
While you are doing that I'm out riding again :D

you enjoy this and I will enjoy my set up which works just as well and yes I have been on di2 a few times.
Its like riding a borg bike , Unresponsive and boring .It don't make you a better rider or a quicker rider does it. How much does it cost , Its tools for the fools

You deal with this if you want and I will deal with simple cable and mech set up .
http://carltonbale.com/shimano-di2-everything-you-need-to-know/

ps Instead of making cheap dig " Ray" PM me call me all the names you want and get it out of your system.
I won't report . You obviously have an issue with me .
That's your problem .

ray j willings said:
Bustedknuckle said:
ray j willings said:
wendybnt said:

What , so you carry a diagnostic machine in your back pocket do you?
How is it more reliable. What's not reliable about a cable set up?
If something breaks I can fix it.
Something goes wrong with di2 ,you have to find somewhere that can diagnose the issue and the hope it can sort out the problem.
While you are doing that I'm out riding again :D

you enjoy this and I will enjoy my set up which works just as well and yes I have been on di2 a few times.
Its like riding a borg bike , Unresponsive and boring .It don't make you a better rider or a quicker rider does it. How much does it cost , Its tools for the fools

You deal with this if you want and I will deal with simple cable and mech set up .
http://carltonbale.com/shimano-di2-everything-you-need-to-know/

ps Instead of making cheap dig " Ray" PM me call me all the names you want and get it out of your system.
I won't report . You obviously have an issue with me .
That's your problem .

Internal to the equipment-Campagnolo EPS.

Didn't say mechanical isn't reliable but having one or two of your mates say Di2 isn't, doesn't make it so.

If Di2 crumps, plug it in once you get home and it tells what is wrong..no need to send anything anywhere. EPS, it tells you on the spot.

Nothing personal, about bikes, yes? Toys. I have an issue with spam, not you.