• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Diacritical marks

Am I just loopy? Is it true that diacritical marks like accents and so on were formerly usable in the Forums but lately (perhaps just today after the boards came back up) their use results in gobbledy-beloved patriot symbols?

Or am I misremembering and they were never usable?

Have any of the administrators had a chance to look into this yet? Given the international nature of our fandom, orthography is important, at least in my eyes. It makes me feel hopelessly provincial to type Vuelta a Espana without a tilde over the n.

Free the umlauts, the accents acute and grave, the cedillas! Release the circumflexes! :D

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
Diacritical marks were definitely usable. I've used them a lot.
But then look what happens when previously correct post are looked back upon.
:confused:
Libertine Seguros said:
Izagirre and Igor Antón.

Izagirre dropped several minutes later on the climb, and Igor Antón won on Zoncolan in 2011 and is a mere shell of the super-climber he was in 2008 and 2010.

<snip>

On the other hand, if Igor Antón is going to go back to climbing like that as a habit, I'm probably going to get quite excitable.

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
explains the recent outage + post loss: db change. if they changed the db code page (?) or UTF format, or perhaps collation could mean some characters get processed differently when the post is retrieved, and display funny because the web page and the characters in it have different encodings, or the characters get munged when retrieved, or were irrevocably mangled when the change was made.

preview simply redisplays text

But if the db change means that all posts will be cut off whenever a post includes a diacritic it will make the forum all but unusable. This is a global sport, and there are people from all kinds of countries who will have to learn to mis-spell their countrymen's names in order to post about them. And one error where you correctly spell the name at the start of the post means a long post could all go AWOL. That's no fun.

Sep 29, 2012
dearwiggo.blogspot.com.au
agreed. looks like a relatively simple fix.

like i said: forum most likely a low priority, poorly funded asset.

they should fix it, you would think the same mySQL db would power the site, but perhaps not?

be interested if you could test your hypothesis, liberty?

rensen in the first paragraph - had to use the back button on the browser, edit his name to Sorensen, then repost, but then it gave me two versions of the post so I deleted the first one.

Most gallingly, I added a new stage design to one of the library posts in the Race Design Thread, but where the finish was at the Gro

glockner, and because of where that was placed alphabetically (as a Giro stage), it promptly meant that all stages after that (Tour of anywhere, Volta or Vuelta or anywhere) disappeared from the post. Again, I could use the back button to amend, but it lost the hyperlinks, so that particular library post is temporarily useless.

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
christopherrowe said:
have any of the administrators had a chance to look into this yet? Given the international nature of our fandom, orthography is important, at least in my eyes. It makes me feel hopelessly provincial to type vuelta a espana without a tilde over the n.

Free the umlauts, the accents acute and grave, the cedillas! Release the circumflexes! :d

Да. Молодцы. Вы говорили хорошо.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
christopherrowe said:
Free the umlauts, the accents acute and grave, the cedillas! Release the circumflexes! :D

Very nicely put, and I wholeheartedly support this! ("Nicely put", I think this is also what hiero2 put in Russian, no? I took Russian for three years but it's been a long time, so I can still read the alphabet, but have no idea what the words mean. But "gavarit" and "xarashuo" I can still recall ^^).

This is quite annoying for me as well since I also use a lot of these accents and umlauts, and I keep forgetting that it does that so I always have to go back and re-write posts. Thanks Libertine for sharing the "return" option, I had not tried that yet

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
Christian said:
Very nicely put, and I wholeheartedly support this! ("Nicely put", I think this is also what hiero2 put in Russian, no? I took Russian for three years but it's been a long time, so I can still read the alphabet, but have no idea what the words mean. But "gavarit" and "xarashuo" I can still recall ^^).

This is quite annoying for me as well since I also use a lot of these accents and umlauts, and I keep forgetting that it does that so I always have to go back and re-write posts. Thanks Libertine for sharing the "return" option, I had not tried that yet

Da. Yes.

Molodyetz. You did well. (Except I mispelled molodyetz. Wrong case, I think. Molodyetz is a particular form that literally means good job or something, but in common usage it means particlarly "YOU did a good job". It is strong validation of another's performance.)

Ti govari horosho. You said (it) well.

But mostly I was having fun with words. Since we were talking international, I figured I'd just toss something REALLY international in. I see somebody followed up with Arabic. I know a few words of Russian - but the Arabic is too much for me.

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
libertine seguros said:
Очень хорошо.
جيد جدا
شكرا جزيلا!

Still doesn't work for diacritics in latin script though.

ἑλληνιστί τά διακριτικά σημεία ἀγαθά εἰσίν

lol why do diacritics work in Greek but not in the Latin script?!

Oct 23, 2011
Visit site
hrotha said:
אני אוהב עברית

edit: works. But what about the niqqudot? קִמַּטְתְּ

edit 2: works too

lol I was about to test Hebrew too

let's see if it knows the Masoretic signs

בְּרֵאשִׁ֖ית בָּרָ֣א אֱלֹהִ֑ים אֵ֥ת הַשָּׁמַ֖יִם וְאֵ֥ת הָאָֽרֶץ׃

Yep even atnachs and stuff show up

(I used a big font to be able to see it properly)

ܒ݁ܪܺܫܺܝܬ݂ ܐܺܝܬ݂ܰܘܗ݈ܝ ܗ݈ܘܳܐ ܡܶܠܬ݂ܳܐ ܘܗܽܘ ܡܶܠܬ݂ܳܐ ܐܺܝܬ݂ܰܘܗ݈ܝ ܗ݈ܘܳܐ ܠܘܳܬ݂ ܐܰܠܳܗܳܐ ܘܰܐܠܳܗܳܐ ܐܺܝܬ݂ܰܘܗ݈ܝ ܗ݈ܘܳܐ ܗܽܘ ܡܶܠܬ݂ܳܐ

and even Syriac works with vowel signs. Okay, basically everything works properly except for Latin.

Turns out I can't actually read Hebrew.

How about this then:
ᛁᚴ
edit: Aha! Truncated. I'll try again:
ᛁᚴ
edit 2: Truncated again. Maybe it's the interpuncts? I'll leave them out:
ᛁᚴᚢᛅᛦᛏᚱᚢᚴᛁᚾ
edit 3: Yep. The interpuncts are after all part of the Latin character set.
edit 4: What about a special runic interpunct? ᛁᚴ᛫ᚢᛅᛦ᛫ᛏᚱᚢᚴᛁᚾ
edit 5: Aha!

TRENDING THREADS