• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Did Shimano Ever Make A Frameset?

Jun 21, 2009
Visit site
We rode with a guy( Jordi from Bergamo Italy) on the Grande Corniche near Monaco going to SanRemo a few weeks ago and he was on a White Shimano branded carbon frame with Shimano branding and some dura ace decals too. He was lean and fast so not sure who he really was. He went on to Menton while we dipped down into downtown Monaco. He laughed and said it was crazy there. Well it was. Any info on the bike would be greatly appreciated!

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
Mongolian Torque said:
We rode with a guy( Jordi from Bergamo Italy) on the Grande Corniche near Monaco going to SanRemo a few weeks ago and he was on a White Shimano branded carbon frame with Shimano branding and some dura ace decals too. He was lean and fast so not sure who he really was. He went on to Menton while we dipped down into downtown Monaco. He laughed and said it was crazy there. Well it was. Any info on the bike would be greatly appreciated!
At about the time DA Di2 came out there were carbon frames that Shimano put their stickers on for neutral support. I asked a Shimano exec who would know about it and he said it was not their frame and they did not sell it.

Jun 21, 2009
Visit site
Yeah, I could see how it could be a neutral support bike. It was clearish white gloss over naked carbon, and not a tight weave. Looked more like an older Orbea or low end Specialized.

I wish I took a picture but we left our phones behind that day (grrr).

Aug 13, 2009
Visit site
They have used a variety of frames over the years. They started with Cannodales but have also used Scott and Giant. They even used Moots for Cross.

I restored an old 80s era shimano branded bike a couple of years back. Had a shimano "golden arrow" groupset on it, so they've been doing branded frames for a while.

they are just used in shows and for demonstration purposes.

if its a neutral service machine, i'm sure it would be more of a high end thing. probably then distributed through staff.

there is an article on cn currently about some euro show, the gallery shows some branded shimano frames i think.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/photos/eurobike-2013-demo-day-road-tech-gallery/277687

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
observer said:
I restored an old 80s era shimano branded bike a couple of years back. Had a shimano "golden arrow" groupset on it, so they've been doing branded frames for a while.

they are just used in shows and for demonstration purposes.

if its a neutral service machine, i'm sure it would be more of a high end thing. probably then distributed through staff.

there is an article on cn currently about some euro show, the gallery shows some branded shimano frames i think.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/features/photos/eurobike-2013-demo-day-road-tech-gallery/277687

I submit not since after the 90s has Shimano SOLD a bike as the Shimano brand at a retail outlet. They may have repainted the name of their groupo on a frame, but they would not have claimed it was their frame.

There have been many Shimano branded frames over the years. They are used for marketing purposes, and for preserving an air of neutrality when showcasing new componentry at trade shows and demos. The latest white carbon "Shimano" frames that I have seen, were re-painted Felt carbon frames. They are generally not for sale but hey... no one is going to throw them away. They do find their way on to the street.

Aug 20, 2013
Visit site
VeloFidelis said:
There have been many Shimano branded frames over the years. They are used for marketing purposes, and for preserving an air of neutrality when showcasing new componentry at trade shows and demos. The latest white carbon "Shimano" frames that I have seen, were re-painted Felt carbon frames. They are generally not for sale but hey... no one is going to throw them away. They do find their way on to the street.
Do you know of a Shimano retail sold frame since the 90s?

Shimano would/does just buy frames and paints with their brand name to highlight there stuff that goes on frames.

It is no different than buying Kia and painting it Shimano and Shimano does not build cars either.

Apr 25, 2010
Visit site
Zorotheslacker said:

Shimano would/does just buy frames and paints with their brand name to highlight there stuff that goes on frames.

It is no different than buying Kia and painting it Shimano and Shimano does not build cars either.

You may want to re-read what he posted :eek:

Zorotheslacker said:

If Shimano buys a Kia and paints it up with large Shimano logos they will have a Shimano "branded"(not brand) Kia. Just like they recently did with some Felt carbon frames, and like they have been doing with other manufacturer's frames, conveniently acquired to showcase their components, for decades. These frames are not sold at retail, but neither are they randomly destroyed. They do end up being owned and ridden by someone.

Are you really that dim to have missed my point so completely? Maybe english is a second language?

Mar 25, 2024
Visit site
My father bought a used Shimano branded bike many years ago in Bergamo, I still have it to this day but I have no idea where it comes from.