• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Did we just witness the death of the attacks far from the finish?

Are far away attacks dead?

• Vino

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Sep 29, 2012
Visit site
Today's stage was basically the perfect example of how far away attacks are basically doomed to fail.

Kwiatkowski, even helped with an incredibly Tony Martin during 90% of the stage, completely cracked at the very end in Chevrères and the final climb, losing over 2 minutes to Nibali, even though he virtually had the yellow jersey the whole stage.

Even Purito, who was in front all day and had nothing to lose being nearly an hour in the GC, and was 1st in five climbs out of seven, has lost all its lead in the final two climbs despite being very strong during 4 hours. 15 minutes were enough to make him lose the stage by nearly a minute.

Meanwhile, the favorite's peloton just stood there, Nibali's team did all the job, and Vincenzo takes the final honors, while some other riders (especially the other GC contenders) who didn't go in the breakaway still finished strong only seconds behind Nibali.

So did we just witness the death of the long runs and attacks from far away to gain several minutes in a queen stage?

That's already the trend over the past years. There are only some exceptions to this rule (Schleck for instance), but we won't see it a lot anymore. Also 'cause nowadays riders are happy with an 8th spot in GC.

May 26, 2009
Visit site
No it's not the end of the long range attack. But more riders these days are happy to play safe and take 8th place on GC than risk it all and maybe winning.

Lets look at AG2R they have 2 guys in the top 8 but they won't risk 1 of those guys, they'll both just follow and hope they can still be there at the end of the race.

May 28, 2010
Visit site
No conclusion can be drawn after a single stage. Especially when Kwiatek is weak and JRod not in top shape. Moreover as long the human element remains mistakes will be made - DC may underestimate the strength of the escapee / overestimate the strength of the team / etc. The success ratio was and will never be high, but every once a while it will succeed. Same as it ever was.

Linkinito said:
So did we just witness the death of the long runs and attacks from far away to gain several minutes in a queen stage?

IMO, two-way radios for the riders allows the calculation of pace needed to shut down long-range attacks.

Also, long range attacks generally don't work anyway. Kwiatxxxx took a huge risk and lost. In this case, plenty of teams motivated to deny him moving into the top-10. Couple that with the terrain today and it just didn't work.

Good of him to try.

May 9, 2011
Visit site
It can still happen but team radios can make it harder to achieve these days. I love watching other races where riders catch breaks and then have to ask them if that's it or if there are others up the road still or not. It's great.

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I dont understand all this stupid comments abt radio and stuff.

Today, only tony martin worked in the break. the rest were happy wheelsucking. if the other guys had come forward and help set some pace in the front, extend Tony Martin's effort by a few extra kms, then things wud have been different. Kwiato is just a kid. with only tony working, he had no chance at all.

The thing is: most breaks are failing due to lack of working together. I have seen weaker riders working together to keep themselves ahead of the peloton as much as they can.

Blaming radio is nonsense. In races where there was no radio, the breaks were not really given so much leeway. If you look at the races without radios, even now the peloton manages to catch the break. tht's bcoz they never let break go too far away. Now, breaks can be given 10 mins if the peloton feels that they can catch the break.

Can long-range attacks succeed? definitely yes. A strong rider will always be capable of doing it.

Ryongsyong said:
It can still happen but team radios can make it harder to achieve these days. I love watching other races where riders catch breaks and then have to ask them if that's it or if there are others up the road still or not. It's great.

Race radios have nothing to do with it. It's a race, a physical competition, not a game of hide-and-go-seek.

No, this is not the end. An optimistic view is that someone was willing to risk their low top 10 spot to go for it, which isn't often.

Did we forget about Talansky at the Dauphine?

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
I think a lot of it has to do with the strength of the teams. Long attacks can just be reeled in by a strong train as if it were nothing. I believe a reduction in the number of riders per team would go a long way. 8 riders or maybe even 7 per team in a GT would make them significantly weaker which would give the break a better chance. The biggest problem might be losing the spectacle of having a giant peloton. 22 teams of 9 riders is 198 in the beginning, whereas 8 riders at the same number of teams would be 176 total riders and 7 riders per team would be 154 total riders. This could be offset by allowing more teams into the race of course, 24 or 25 teams if 8 riders (192/200 total riders) and 28 teams if 7 riders (196 total riders). That may actually be even better as more teams would hopefully mean more agendas and more "craziness" going on during the race. I believe I read somewhere on this forum that UCI was considering lowering the max number of riders per team to 8 for world tour races (I cannot find where I read that).

Also doesn't help that riders love that amazing 7th spot in the GC. I hope they change the points system to increase aggressive riding but I doubt that'll ever happen.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
AICA ribonucleotide said:
A day after Tony Martin wins a stage by attacking 20km from the start long range attacks are now a waste of time?

Agree

If anyone has any sense we are seeing it reborn, Quintana, Rolland at the Giro, Talansky at the Dauphine, and for those who weren't really watching, one guy took on a team and delivered his teammate fresh to the base of the penultimate climb with 20km to ride and just over 2 minutes in hand. It's hardly the fault of the tactic that Kwiatkowski crumbled. Just quietly, the day for Kwitkowski and Martin was stage 9, small break get over the final climbs together and a pairs TT to the line. Rather than saying how pointless a breakaway is, why is not ask what if Visconti helped a little to really pile the pressure on? What if we put our guy in the break with one helper instead of sitting behind Astana, what if another team did it too? Once Astana was chasing, what would have happened if heaven forbid we attacked before the break had come back, maybe some of the riders who've been swapping turns on the front get shelled.
Every know and then we can see what can happen with a long range attack, and instead of seeing the opportunities: 20km to go 2 min up one guy alone did that. Too many people see: Kwiatkowski 2:13 behind stage winner.

Pulpstar said:
Movistar need to not renew Piti's contract, and spend the cash on getting Tony Martin.

Tony Martin & Quintana - That'd be an awesome setup :D

Yes! Tony would hide Nairo in his backpocket for maximum drafting the whole stage, only to jump for a sprint and win in the last 100m. :D

More Strides than Rides said:
Race radios have nothing to do with it. It's a race, a physical competition, not a game of hide-and-go-seek.

No, this is not the end. An optimistic view is that someone was willing to risk their low top 10 spot to go for it, which isn't often.

Did we forget about Talansky at the Dauphine?

Talansky only succeeded against a weak team from Tinkoff.
Against the strengths of Astana's tour team this year or Sky ('12) Talansky would have failed completely.

Same for Contador's long distance attack in Vuelta . Weak Katusha had been working at the front for days. J-Rod and Moreno doesn't provide much firepower during a rouleur section . Similar tactics from Contador would have failed in the Tour against a strong team.

Quintana's long distance attack (AX3) in the tour last year was quashed by team Sky. No chance for him.

Take Quintana's long distance attack in the Giro this year, well it only worked as a result of a botched neutralization. Without the fucc up, the stage would have been a wheelsuckers paradise just like the rest of the MTFs in that giro.

Excessive team strength suffocate exciting race action and reduces the spectacle to 3 km sprint on multi mountain stages. Crazy development.

And of course team radios helps a strong team control a stage. Goes without saying.

Unless there is a way to reduce team strength in a race like the Tour, I'm pretty confident we will see less long distance attacks moving forward.

Jun 15, 2009
Visit site
First there should be a true definition of "long range attacks".
Second if we look at how many times "escapers" win at GTs we´d be surprised how often they work (on average at least 5 times per GT since 2009)... A pretty high number given they (almost) never work on the circa 7 flat stages per GT.

FoxxyBrown1111 said:
First there should be a true definition of "long range attacks".
Second if we look at how many times "escapers" win at GTs we´d be surprised how often they work (on average at least 5 times per GT since 2009)... A pretty high number given they (almost) never work on the circa 7 flat stages per GT.

My definition involves attacking (GC contender) before the last climb.
Otherwise its just a calculated waiting game.

TRENDING THREADS