• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Did you opinion of Lance improve after Oprah, worse, or stay the same?

Page 4 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Did you opinion of Lance improve after Oprah, worse, or stay the same?

• Same

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
Confessed to doping and many other things = Improved

Helping to clean up the sport behind closed doors = Even more important and improving even more.

For all those still moaning: I really admire you perfect, selfless, holy, supersmart, supercorrect cyclingsaints, but really, what planet in which solarsystem is that you are posting from ?
Not that I would be jealous or able to join this circle of wisdom and probably the crown and pride of creation, but just interested.

Wo bin ich hier nur gelandet ? :rolleyes:

Perhaps I'm just too stunned and overhelmed after experiencing the whole Ullrich-farce. Totally apathetic and brainsick.
Yeah, that must be the answer for the improvement. Forget those holy things. You just didn't have to suffer.

Nov 24, 2009
Visit site
Never thought much of him to begin with. Now, my opinion of him is worse - and I concede that I did not watch the interviews, just read the reactions in print. I didn't believe in the 'phoenix from the flame' rebirth story, that cancer in some way changed/metamorphosed him for the better. That story seemed like, akin to the very fibre and moral constitution of Mr. Armstrong, such a festering mound of bullsh1t.

His inability to be transparent - does he even know what the hell that even is? - during the interviews shows that to me, he, even when he is being 'contrite' on his terms, is still the mendacious, calculating, loathsome, and machiavellian creature that he continues to be.

Harry Frankfurt, in his lovely little book 'On Bullsh1t', generally argued the point that bullsh1t is worse than lying. While lying is lying and generally a wrong thing to do, it at least acknowledges the truth by negating it. The reason that bullsh1t is worse because it has no regard for the truth, not even acknowledging it. It's something more insidious. Sure Lance lied, but he was and continues to be the master of bullsh1t because when it comes to large swaths of the truth, he frankly has no use for it.

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
fat_boy_fat said:
Worsen.

- Not telling the whole truth, still scheming, admitting only what cannot be denied any longer.

- Still lying (the USADA donation thing).

- Using children as shield.

- Crying over revenue loss (poor baby … tell that the homeless!).

- Too many omissions.

- "I called you crazy, I called you *****, but I never, never called you fat." (in the version of Jimmy Fallon: http://youtu.be/3AqcfzfCVUg )

This is what it looks like when you only have black colour available.
Natural born German I guess.

Glas immer halb leer.
See my post above, and colour up your dark thoughts.

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I didn't see the interview, because I don't think anything new was revealed. Nothing important, I guess. Unless you care about the relationship between Lance and his mom, his kids, etc.

So essentially, it changed nothing for me. Furthermore I didn't even see the point of the interview if nothing changes for Lance. He is still banned, and his charity will still be affected.

The only way he can improve his situation to a point where it improves (he is allowed to race triathlons?) would be if he testifies against bigger fish, or at least people who are perceived as bigger fish.

Jan 19, 2013
Visit site
Corona said:
And maybe you should tell your hero to be a little more careful in his choice of words as well after sitting listening to him keep proclaiming he's been given a death sentence.
No he hasn't, he's been rightfully banned from taking part in sanctioned competition. There will undoubtedly be a few on death row that can spot the difference.

I understand Lance is despised by many people. Hell, I still can't understand why on earth he was trying so hard to make enemies. There are many things I did and do not like about the guy, but the fact of the matter is that he has rights. And not just the rights we hear about in the Constitution, but universal rights, like being given a second chance, feeling genuine remorse, understanding and coming to grips as to how many lives he's affected in a negative way, et cetera.

And please, let's stick to words that make sense in context, like: betrayal, guilt, bullying, lying, doping, et cetera. Using "kill" or "assassinate" is taking it a little too far.

Mar 8, 2010
Visit site
red_flanders said:
Is there evidence of this? That would be great. Seems instead that he's clearly lying about bribing the USADA.

I thought you would know ? Not ?

So he's clearly lying. Heard it here first, people.
Guys like you always find evidence when it comes to Lance. Now you fail. That's really sad. :D

Two psychopaths in one room was not good. That's why Lance left the room.
Perhaps, in future they should offer (should have offered) Lance someone less psychopathic to talk to ?

images

I think right now, Lance can't avoid to set the full truth free at the right places, where it belongs to, where it is requiered and helpful.
Until this is finished, we'll have to wait.
Your curse comes way too early.
Things are far from over.......someone used to say.

Cobblestoned said:
I thought you would know ? Not ?

So he's clearly lying. Heard it here first, people.
Guys like you always find evidence when it comes to Lance. Now you fail. That's really sad. :D

Two psychopaths in one room was not good. That's why Lance left the room.
Perhaps, in future they should offer (should have offered) Lance someone less psychopathic to talk to ?

images

I think right now, Lance can't avoid to set the full truth free at the right places, where it belongs to, where it is requiered and helpful.
Until this is finished, we'll have to wait.
Your curse comes way too early.
Things are far from over.......someone used to say.

So that's a no then.

BowlingBall

BANNED
Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
LongSprint said:
The only reason he "confessed" to Oprah is that he wants to return to competition. He said so himself.

Even so, he's still he's still doing it. He could have taken another route and continued to deny it. There's no point hating him now that he's confessed and had it all taken away from him.

BowlingBall said:
Even so, he's still he's still doing it. He could have taken another route and continued to deny it. There's no point hating him now that he's confessed and had it all taken away from him.

Well confessing to something that everybody already knows is nothing to write home about.

Lance like most public figures will be rehabilitated in time but also needs to spend a bit more time in the doghouse before that happens. Its only been 3/4 days and you think he should be forgiven??

When you look at what he put the LeMond's, Andreu's and Simeoni's through for a much longer period of time, it will take more than a few days for him to be respected again.

Tiger Woods is far from where he was at the peak of his career and I think outside of golf, nobody care for him too much anymore. I would view what Lance did as much worse so he should spend longer out of the spotlight than Woods.

The same to worse.

I do not accept that he came back clean in 2009, and he needs to acknowledge that fact. At least present a plausible explanation for his bio-passport that year, as right now its a red flag.

If he visits with USADA and/or WADA and names names, details methods etc, then he can finally move upwards.

Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Same. He was despicable before and deserving of losing every cent and every 'friend/partner in crime' and receiveing a very long sentence in a very unpleasant detention center and I haven't changed whatsoever. I wish him nothing but many years of unending misery.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
My wife was watching episode two where Lance relates how hard it was on his Mother.
later that day I saw a regular feature on sports business on Universal Sports. They had several sports agents on the panel discussing marketability after the fall with a notable comment on Lance's Mom.
"What kind of guy would let his Mom write a book on her parenting ability; knowing what he's done?" He went on to say his Lance's prospects were less than the zero before Oprah. He does raise a final character "flaw" that is unequalled in my memory.

Bat Man

BANNED
Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
According to this article he hasn't done very well out of it.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2013/jan/21/lance-armstrong-oprah-pr-disaster

50% of people didn't believe he had doped even after the USADA report, and even more than that didn't care. But now he's admitted it, he's lost the lot of them.

The confession seemed to have done for the benefit of a relatively small group of people on the internet, plus a small group of persistent critics he had wronged. Both of these groups aren't in the least bit grateful, so what was the point? Odd decision to do it. I guess he now has some limited control over the narrative.

BowlingBall

BANNED
Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
pmcg76 said:
Well confessing to something that everybody already knows is nothing to write home about.

Lance like most public figures will be rehabilitated in time but also needs to spend a bit more time in the doghouse before that happens. Its only been 3/4 days and you think he should be forgiven??

When you look at what he put the LeMond's, Andreu's and Simeoni's through for a much longer period of time, it will take more than a few days for him to be respected again.

Tiger Woods is far from where he was at the peak of his career and I think outside of golf, nobody care for him too much anymore. I would view what Lance did as much worse so he should spend longer out of the spotlight than Woods.

What else did you want him to do? Short of crying and asking for a hug, I don't know what else you expected. Like I said, he's obviously a jerk, but for a jerk he's doing pretty good. I think there was nothing he could have said or done that would please the likes of you. If he had have cried and curled up in a fetal ball at Oprah's feet you would still have bad things to say. People like you should just be honest and admit that you are totally closed-minded to Armstrong redeeming himself.

Aug 25, 2012
Visit site
Worse. Dumb to lie about things that can easily be proven. Ie: payments to UCI....forgot about the 2002 payment testified to in the SCA deposition. The clan ride in 2009....French police have blood profiles from 7 Astana riders... a quick dna test can clear that one up!:confused:

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
BowlingBall said:
What else did you want him to do? Short of crying and asking for a hug, I don't know what else you expected. Like I said, he's obviously a jerk, but for a jerk he's doing pretty good. I think there was nothing he could have said or done that would please the likes of you. If he had have cried and curled up in a fetal ball at Oprah's feet you would still have bad things to say. People like you should just be honest and admit that you are totally closed-minded to Armstrong redeeming himself.

These are the things he could have done :

- Appart from a small amount of money put in trust for his children he could ask that the rest of his assets are administered by someone in the most appropriate way to pay back those that are owed.

- He could have said that this is no longer a sporting story but a criminal matter and he will work with the relevant people to work through this and to ensure that justice is done.

- He could have admitted that he has a problem in his treatment of people and that while this problem is not an excuse it is clearly something that requires significant professional help from him and he will make this a priority.

- While he is in jail.

BowlingBall said:

Perhaps instead of going on Oprah, he should have went to the USADA, admitted everything to them and helped the sport of cycling in the battle against doping. Perhaps he may yet do which will help his credibility.

Also, he needs to stop lying and trying to shift the blame.

Armstrong has been at this BS for over 15 years so just because he finally admits to what we already knew doesn't mean he should be redeemed in a matter of days.

What he should do is move out of the public spotlight, stop trying to compete and focus on cancer work if his charity has any credibility left. Then he can rise his head again when enough time has passed for people to forget, maybe in 10/15 years.

May 26, 2010
Visit site
BowlingBall said:

What else did you want him to do?

For a start as pmcg76 said, he could sit down with USADA and tell them everything.

Then he could give back all his winnings to the various races.

Then he could apologise properly to those he 'wronged'.

He could compensate LeMond for the loss of his bike business

He could repay Sunday Times and SCA Insurance.

He could demand Livestrong start funding research into 'fighting' cancer.

He could also disappear out of the media spotlight and raise his family instead of begging to be allowed jetset the world competing in Ironman and other events.

That wil do for a start.

When has completed the above tasks we can set some new ones for him.;)

Benotti69 said:
What else did you want him to do?

For a start as pmcg76 said, he could sit down with USADA and tell them everything.

Then he could give back all his winnings to the various races.

Then he could apologise properly to those he 'wronged'.

He could compensate LeMond for the loss of his bike business

He could repay Sunday Times and SCA Insurance.

He could demand Livestrong start funding research into 'fighting' cancer.

He could also disappear out of the media spotlight and raise his family instead of begging to be allowed jetset the world competing in Ironman and other events.

That wil do for a start.

When has completed the above tasks we can set some new ones for him.;)
That should suffice for now for an individual with "laser like focus" as Lance.

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
My opinion hasn't really changed - if anything slightly worse.

He seems to mouth words but it's as if there is no actual feeling behind the words. It was apparent in his first book - why people liked that book I will never know. He went on and on about how important his wife and kids were to him and then up and left them. OK, not so important, I guess.

He's destroyed the lives of many people. Bullying them publicly, when they were doing nothing more than telling the truth. Bullies are the lowest of the low. They prey on the weak, they will do ANYTHING to get what they want, worst of all - they get off on/profit from the suffering of others.

In the interview, as others have mentioned, he wasn't totally owning up to it - the references were in the third person, "Yes, Betsy WAS bullied". Yes - by whom, exactly? The whole thing about not calling her fat? What universe is he on where that is an appropriate thing to say?

His doping is so secondary to me. It's about the lying, the attacking, the complete and utter fraudulent way he's gone about life. WTH Sheryl Crow ever saw in the guy I will never know, and how he managed to find women who would bear 5 kids with him - a complete mystery.

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Fearless Greg Lemond said:
Armstrong is in my belief still the 15 year who just wants to compete, it is quite sad, 'absolutely'.

An adrenaline addict.

I think he wants to win, not to compete.

In his last Tour he showed that when he is not winning, he just doesn't care.

He crave attention, adoration and worship.

TRENDING THREADS