• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Diego Ulissi Rising Star

Very strong on uphill sprints, but he can win from a selective group after a hilly race. More to come indeed.

Here from Milano - Torino '13:

320-PIC401567574.jpg

Like Costa, he is also tactically solid.

He is considered that for Italian cycling. He definitely has been maturing well, though that touch of extra class to win a major classic is still yet to arrive.

He doesn't have the climbing skills of a pure climber, nor does he have the punch of a Bettini. Though he's a better climber than the later and more punchy than a pure climber. It's a good combination, though difficult to manage, because you don't have a superior edge in either condition.

I think he can do it though. Diego just needs to ride impeccably and time his final assault on victory to perfection. It's a difficult task, but he seems to have the right head to overcome it.

Definetely a start in the making. Hopefully he won't become a supernova before the time.

He is in my strict list of favourite riders. We can tell a top10 in Amstel and a top5 in Fleche are certain.

His riding seems to be very natural.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Developing quickly and already showing some very impressive results at only 24. Will be interesting to see what kind of path he follows and what type of rider he becomes.

I wonder if he could eventually become a Purito type rider. He's already shown himself to have a strong sprint, but hasn't shown much in GT's as of yet.

One of my favourite riders and i predicted a breakthrough last year picking him in my CQ team and he certainly didn't disappoint me.

Agree with rubhroma on his assessment of Ulissi's talents.

Biggest concern for me so far is whether he can handle the distance in a monument.

He has been winning a lot of Italian one day races where the length is less than 250 Km but has been missing in both Lombardia and LBL.

Next two years should give us a better indication if he can become that major hilly classics star.

Otherwise he'll have to be content with winning small hilly one day races and stage hunting in stage races.

Zam_Olyas said:
Rising star, What are you talking about? He is already a star.
Not yet. He should prove himself a little bit more in races like Lombardia, Liège and Amstel before we could speak of a 'star' in my opinion. He's struggling in races above 200km.

edit: ow, this is what 'the asian' said.

the asian said:
One of my favourite riders and i predicted a breakthrough last year picking him in my CQ team and he certainly didn't disappoint me.

Agree with rubhroma on his assessment of Ulissi's talents.

Biggest concern for me so far is whether he can handle the distance in a monument.

He has been winning a lot of Italian one day races where the length is less than 250 Km but has been missing in both Lombardia and LBL.

Next two years should give us a better indication if he can become that major hilly classics star.

Otherwise he'll have to be content with winning small hilly one day races and stage hunting in stage races.

Agreed. I thought he got forgotten a bit when Moser had that terrific year in 2012 but he really came good last year. I'm very curious to see if he will make that step to Cunego-level or if he will wind up being a Visconti - a very, very good rider but unable to pick up wins in the biggest races.

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Good point about the distance, needs some endurance to win a monument. He's underrated as a climber, can hang in there in most one day races, and pounce. I see 10 wins from him this year, he's hot.

jaylew said:
Agreed. I thought he got forgotten a bit when Moser had that terrific year in 2012 but he really came good last year. I'm very curious to see if he will make that step to Cunego-level or if he will wind up being a Visconti - a very, very good rider but unable to pick up wins in the biggest races.

Cunego is different, because he won the Giro so young and that made him a rider to reckon with, which opened doors in races he would have otherwise not had.

Visconti, I think, as a pro, has just the bare credentials, however, with his iron will and team support, was able to achieve things last year in the Giro that went beyond his merit. Though that is a dimension which nevertheless deserves utmost admiration.

Our Diego I think can become a better Cunego with the determination of Visconti.

Don't like him off the bike, but he's got talent. Some concerns with endurance are legit, he's never done much in longer and tougher races (and Strade Bianche confirmed that). Not that italian cycling has many other riders for one day races.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
SafeBet said:
Don't like him off the bike, but he's got talent. Some concerns with endurance are legit, he's never done much in longer and tougher races (and Strade Bianche confirmed that). Not that italian cycling has many other riders for one day races.

Because he looks arrogant (i think he does)?

Arredondo said:
Because he looks arrogant (i think he does)?

I don't know him personally. It's just the feeling I get when he talks to the media. I don't mind strong characters or riders doing some trash talking, but he sounds sneaky.

And the way he rides, seldom willing to help teamates, adds to that feeling.

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
SafeBet said:
I don't know him personally. It's just the feeling I get when he talks to the media. I don't mind strong characters or riders doing some trash talking, but he sounds sneaky.

And the way he rides, seldom willing to help teamates, adds to that feeling.

I heard him after Camaiore, and he looked arrogant, and indeed, a bit sneaky, in that interview. Riders who don't look into the eyes of the interviewer at all, are mostly rather arrogant.

TRENDING THREADS