• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Director of the year 2019

Best Director: Patrick Lefevere, hands down.

It's not just the masses of wins, it's the attitude amongst the riders. They want to be part of the "Wolfpack" and it shows.

The only other team that seem to get close is Mitchelton Scott. The motivational talk Matt White gave towards the end of the TDF was epic.

Best Director: Patrick Lefevere, hands down.

It's not just the masses of wins, it's the attitude amongst the riders. They want to be part of the "Wolfpack" and it shows.

The only other team that seem to get close is Mitchelton Scott. The motivational talk Matt White gave towards the end of the TDF was epic.
It's the one team where riders can't have an ego that's half the size of the directors

Director of the Year 2019: Max Sciandri at the Giro

Best tactical race move: Quintana (and 7 out of 8 DQS) in the crosswinds at the Vuelta

Worst tactical race move: Nibali marking Roglic & forgetting about Carapaz

Best and worst rider signing for 2019: Best - Tadej Pogacar ; Worst - Andre Greipel

Best and worst predicted rider signing for 2020: Best - Gilbert to Lotto-Soudal ; Worst - Carapaz to Ineos :)cry:)

Reactions: Rollthedice
Worst Tactical Move:
First mention: Movistar chasing down its own riders for the purpose of nothing.
Second mention: Nibali and Roglic looking at each other at the Giro because they think that they are pretty.
Third mention: Froome reaching for food in a TT bike on a descent.
Fourth mentions: Lopez having a fight and forgetting about the race.

Worst Tactical Move:
First mention: Movistar chasing down its own riders for the purpose of nothing.
Second mention: Nibali and Roglic looking at each other at the Giro because they think that they are pretty.
Third mention: Froome reaching for food in a TT bike on a descent.
Fourth mentions: Lopez having a fight and forgetting about the race.
I like the fourth one. Not only did it cost Lopez precious seconds to be boxing and yelling at the poor spectator feeling the wrath of Spiderman but he also most certainly could have used that anger as a fuel to get back to the group he was in when the crash happened.

Worst tactical move:
Can we go with Movistar's entire 2019 Tour de France?

Best tactical move: Gilbert at Paris-Roubiax

I'm going with Pogacar as the best signing for 2019 (Higuita would be my 2nd pick).

I'm going with Enric Mas to Movistar for best projected signing for 2020.

Reactions: Red Rick
unknown.png

Director of the Year 2019: No Idea tbh:grimacing:

Best tactical race move: Movistar in the Guadalajara stage.

Worst tactical race move: Alaphilippe and Fuglsang in the final kilometers of AGR

Best and worst rider signing for 2019: Bettiol for me.
Special mention for Ewan. Ditched from the Mitchelton TDF team in favor of Adam's GC. Picked up various wins for his new team including 3wins in the Tour and the Champs Elysees sprint. Pogacar and Evenepoel were obviously phenomenal aswell.

Worst; Porte? Dennis? DDD signed the 2018 AGR podium but I have no clue what these 3 riders did this season. Perhaps Sosa/Trek/Sky take the cake, that wasn't pretty.

Best and worst predicted rider signing for 2020:
Best: A DQS signing I suppose? And Zakarin ofcourse!
Worst: Poels?

I've got another nominee for best tactics, although not a team. This one goes to the fans on the side of the final climb of stage 20 of la Vuelta. Movistar's radios went out with the rain. They weren't getting time gaps and had no idea how far up the road Pogacar was. The fans on the side of the last climb started yelling to Valverde that he was in danger of losing his 2nd place. He's credited them with saving his podium spot. So I'm giving them a nomination for best tactics for a race.

Yeah, Nibali and Roglic just looking at each other was a huge mistake. That said, back then most of the forum was in agreement that the race was between the two, so it was understandable at the time.
Movistar at the tour were just ridiculous all around and really some of the Quintana vs valverde actions at the vuelta were just as bad. We just kinda forgot it due to Quintana gaining a lot of time in that crosswind stage.

Yeah, Nibali and Roglic just looking at each other was a huge mistake. That said, back then most of the forum was in agreement that the race was between the two, so it was understandable at the time.
Movistar at the tour were just ridiculous all around and really some of the Quintana vs valverde actions at the vuelta were just as bad. We just kinda forgot it due to Quintana gaining a lot of time in that crosswind stage.

Quintana gained all his time on the crosswind stage and stage 2, both flat stages and lost time on most mountain stages. Also going into la Vuelta everyone knew Valverde was going after the podium as he really wanted it for multiple reasons. He said after the Vuelta that although his family, friends, and fans were dreaming of him on the podium in the rainbow jersey he couldn't allow himself that dream even though he really wanted it. Then you have stage 20 were Movistar's radios went out in the rain and they didn't know the time gaps to Pogacar until the fans started yelling to Valverde on the final climb. He said he had tried to help Quintana stay on the podium on that stage, but when the fans started letting him know much time Pogacar had and that he was in danger of losing second, it then became a matter of preserving his own spot and not worrying about his teammate.

Director of the Year 2019: Max Sciandri (the likes of Lefevere, Portal & White were the same as usual)

Best tactical race move: Bettiol picking the right moment at Flanders

Worst tactical race move: Alaphilippe & Fuglsang at Amstel

Best and worst rider signing for 2019:
Best: In the long run Pogacar. I think Kung and Schachmann worked out well of the lesser names
Worst: Because of how it ended Rohan Dennis. Gaviria also disappointed

Best and worst predicted rider signing for 2020:
Best: Dumoulin and Viviani move Jumbo and Cofidis up a level. Degenkolb will shine at Lotto. But I think Landa to Bahrain will be the best
Worst: Quintana at Arkea will end in tears.

TRENDING THREADS