• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Disable Ad-Blocking?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
This is the "about the website" subforum, and until this morning the requirement to lift adblockers only applied to the site, now I have intrusive ads on the forum as well, and site and forum are both covered by one whitelisting/blacklisting on AdBlocker. Is this a new change today for other users?

That, plus the appallingly dismissive attitude of CN staff, including the editor, to posting spoilers on live text commentary, means that the adblocker stays on, and CN loses a reader for editorial content.

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
I got the whitelist our site message today or you can't read any of the articles. I begrudgingly pressed yes since well I do use the site a lot.

I am promptly greeted by this as my first screen:

https://i.imgur.com/HcrXCHO.jpg

What in the ***** **** is that?

I'm sorry but are you guys trying to sabotage your own site? Not in a million years am I disabling my blocker for that. I'm either going to try the Ublock option I see mentioned here (which I hope works since I do like the site) or find another way to get my news.

I was actually prepared to put up with some un-obnoxious ads but that's way over the line.

Re:

Squire said:
I get the notice on my laptop but not my desktop. So when using my laptop, I resort to other news sites, and will do the same on my desktop if it shows up there, too. I don't mind a few discretely placed ads, but when the website more or less puts a gun to my face and tries to force me to see lots of trash google ads, I'm off.
So, today it showed up on my desktop computer as well. That's one less reader for cyclingnews.com, then.

Mar 13, 2016
Visit site
and now comes the exhortation to pay for the site directly and go ad free.

In the UK there is a reason the Daily Mail is still read whilst those behind a paywall slowly die.

There are now more ads that content here with the frames and suddenly a third of the screen devoted to ads.

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Also due to the way the site seems coded anytime I scroll for a brief second if you click afterwards anywhere it takes you to an advert. This is incredibly frustrating as I'm usually trying to click on an article. It's the same on both Chrome and Firefox for me.

The website these days just really really poor.

I have noticed recently that news reports that mention Galleries don't actually seem to have them. The Cadel Evans RR one being the most recent.

So, I turned off the ad blocker (uBlock) and guess what...little arrow is then visible so you can scroll and see.

Sneaky.

I wonder what's next

Dec 12, 2018
Visit site
I will disable my ad-blocker if:
- the adverts are either text or images and static (other than that I don't care what's in them because I don't look at them)

I will keep my ad-blocker for as long as:
  • there are autoplay videos
  • pop ups
  • pop overs
  • pop unders
  • javascript
  • all the other pointless, irritating and bandwidth eating rubbish that simply make it difficult to use the site

Reactions: joe_papp
With uBlock, comment section disappeared a few days ago. Anyone else having this problem?

Anyway, I would really like to disable it since I read the site daily but the amount of ads is batsh** insane, articles are unreadable.

With uBlock, comment section disappeared a few days ago. Anyone else having this problem?

Anyway, I would really like to disable it since I read the site daily but the amount of ads is batsh** insane, articles are unreadable.
Unfortunately the comments section tends to disappear when you start trying to use ad blockers and/or restrictive privacy settings. I have had to resort to just using Microsoft Edge for a browser, with the security settings set on "balanced" as well as blocking popups and redirects, but I'm totally reliant on the Edge browser to make the CN web pages readable and the comments section viewable, which I suppose I could do the same with a different Chromium based browser such as Chrome, Firefox, etc., but I prefer Edge overall these days since it's relaunch. You may have to experiment with your browsers settings and whitelist the CN site in any ad blocker you have installed. There may be better ways to mitigate the disappearing comments issue but I'm tired of spending my time farting around with it since I've been dealing with the problem for a few years, others may have some better advice for you but this could be a starting point.

Good luck!

Cheers,

Dan

TRENDING THREADS