• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Disc brakes on road bikes...

Page 23 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
Anyone notice Kittel back on the discs at the Tour? He's apparently not the only one as well.

This could be a rabbit hole, but I strongly wonder if Richie would have crashed had he been on discs.

....it had absolutely nothing to do with brakes, or rabbits....I have it on good authority from a highly placed anonymous source that it was the fault of the Russians ( apparently Vlad himself pulled the quick release on that operation )....

Cheers

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:
Anyone notice Kittel back on the discs at the Tour? He's apparently not the only one as well.

This could be a rabbit hole, but I strongly wonder if Richie would have crashed had he been on discs.

Looks to me as if it was all on him. Overcooked the right hander and cutting the left corner too close to the edge where fresh new blacktop falls off camber in a hurry. Sucked his front wheel in, then boof!

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Re: Re:

42x16ss said:
Giuseppe Magnetico said:
After 2 months passed and many races run with disc it's more than likely Fizik was just giving lip service about a 'test' to get Doull and Adam Hansen to stop whining.
To be fair to Adam Hansen, he was simply voicing rider concern as part of his role as a rider representative.

Nothing fair about overreacting and jumping to conclusions before facts are known. Not exactly indicative of a competent 'representative'.

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
Re:

Alpe d'Huez said:

....kinda funny twist in the Kittel saga, you know about the guy who is the poster boy for the technology that will save the bike industry ( this year )....and making a courageous stand against the forces of ignorance and so on and so for forth.....

...seems our dauntless saintly hero has dumped the disc brakes when he hit the mountains....you know the place where grams count.....and oddly enough where discs, we are told, are supposed to give their bestest advantages....

....so the story so far....saint uses the latest holy water where it doesn't have an advantage and dumps them where they theoretically should...it could just be me but this kinda stinks to high heaven don't it....does anyone else smell marketing scam ( I mean think about it, to get on that disc train to the glorious future you literally have to replace your entire bike....gosh the industry must just be salivating at the prospects....ooooh, we love the smell of profits in the morning, it smells like victory...)

Cheers

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site

blutto said:
....kinda funny twist in the Kittel saga, you know about the guy who is the poster boy for the technology that will save the bike industry ( this year )....and making a courageous stand against the forces of ignorance and so on and so for forth.....

...seems our dauntless saintly hero has dumped the disc brakes when he hit the mountains....you know the place where grams count.....and oddly enough where discs, we are told, are supposed to give their bestest advantages....

....so the story so far....saint uses the latest holy water where it doesn't have an advantage and dumps them where they theoretically should...it could just be me but this kinda stinks to high heaven don't it....does anyone else smell marketing scam ( I mean think about it, to get on that disc train to the glorious future you literally have to replace your entire bike....gosh the industry must just be salivating at the prospects....ooooh, we love the smell of profits in the morning, it smells like victory...)

Cheers

Cute story. However, no amount of waxing poetic can make up for lack of experience on the subject because you really only hear "marketing scam" from people with none. Can you imagine, an industry is seeking profit?!?.......Crazy, I know! It may be a stretch but I think you might be exempt from the death grip of the marketing department's disc brake crusade. Whew, what a relief! Right?

Apr 7, 2016
Visit site

blutto said:
Alpe d'Huez said:

Cheers

Venge for sprint stages, brand new Tarmac for mountains, non?

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site

Giuseppe Magnetico said:
blutto said:

Cheers

Cute story. However, no amount of waxing poetic can make up for lack of experience on the subject because you really only hear "marketing scam" from people with none. Can you imagine, an industry is seeking profit?!?.......Crazy, I know! It may be a stretch but I think you might be exempt from the death grip of the marketing department's disc brake crusade. Whew, what a relief! Right?

....hmmm.....marketing scam eh ( and experience with same )....well folks I have a bit of a story for youse today ( it starts with a few words about marketing and the bike business and then wanders off to deal with a weird play on marketing and the two folks in this post )....from a long ago thread...here is the first installment....and from the horse's mouth, GM, no less....

This is the world of marketing and advertising, it's all based on lying for your money sorry to say. There's a point in the product development process at any large company where the marketing dept. takes over with ultimate control over what and how something is presented to the general consumer. Could you imagine what the world would be like if advertising was left up to engineers?

....and here is #2....and guess who it is in the bolded bit...

The aerodynamic performance claims by manufacturers is probably the most dishonest topic that the bike industry is propagating on the general consumer, and doing it purely for sales, I know because I spent years in meetings with these same mfg's dreaming up lies about this stuff by using alterd, or even fake data.

....yep the self-same poster above who is fanning the flames for disc brakes....makes you kinda wonder don't it...

....anyway some fool got a bit peeved at something, maybe the cynicism, and proceeded to call out the person in the bolded bit....and below is his response, btw bolded bit dude was a mod at that time...

You're just mad because I called bs on your 23/25 set up is more aero at the beginning of this thread, and for some reason you think advertising and big business is full of truths, that's your malfunction, not mine. If my posts are that unreadable stop trying to make sense from them and responding. I've been in just about every facet of the bike industry for 20 years and I'm not making any of this up, if you can't handle what I have to say ignore me and stop responding to every single post of mine. And yes, I do volunteer to keep this forum clean from people like you, 2 years I've been here and never has anyone come after me like this, do it again and you won't be coming back here anytime soon.

....so like the young impetuous fool that I was I responded...( note I'm now mature beyond my years and this would never happen again )...

do it again and you won't be coming back here anytime soon.

...so let me get this straight...the lying that you were paid for is just part and parcel for the bike industry and we should get used to it and not get upset when someone such as yourself who not only invents the lies but calls the people who fell for them fools is rubbing it in our faces...

...and then you have the gall to threaten me with a ban because I call you on that...well frankly if CN, which placed you in a position to bully me this way and is OK with your behaviour, maybe it is a good idea to get banned from this place...

...or put another way...why don't you wade into The Clinic and start telling the anti-doping brigade that they are fools for actually hoping for a level playing field in cycling...as in, one free of lies...

...and by the way it wasn't the 23/25 mm thing I was responding to..it was the cynical commentator talking down his nose at all the marks he has hoodwinked in his career in the bike business...and who then sits as a moderator in a forum and dispenses justice from some supposed higher moral ground...I mean, do you actually know what cynical means, or does inclusion into the august ranks of the marketing fraternity wipe that from your memory banks and leaving you perfectly feckless when dealing with truth...

...so if you, using your esteemed position here at CN, want to punish me for calling you on what you have been and what you still are...well... bring it on, and if you do, shame on you, and if CN allows it to stand, then it will be shame on them as well...

Cheers

blutto

....so here is the response....and this was thrown in for embellishment : " I see you've racked up more infractions on this forum than most people combined", which is, uhhh, more than a small departure from the truth but hey once in "marketing", always in "marketing" eh...bottom line, he shut me up by banning me...

B-bye, see you in a month. Hopefully you've changed your attitude by then, I'm betting not, but I have to at least give you a chance.

P.S. I see you've racked up more infractions on this forum than most people combined, it will be no surprise to anyone that you've been banned

....and the official ban statement....

Blutto banned again for one month for attacking every single post I made. If he doesn't change his attitude when he gets back, he will be banned permanently

....if interested all the fun can be found below...and just for fun, we can score my attacking ?....

viewtopic.php?f=17&t=12202

....so now our former mod is pedaling disc brakes, but this time he is being straight with us, like how cool is that ?....

Cheers

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Blutto, I see you haven't changed a bit. To clarify you smelled rat by Kittle's bike choice, and I called bulschidt on it. Nice thesis and I stand behind all of it, including the fact that you've been one of the most difficult members of this forum to babysit. Glad it's not my job anymore. What is it about this place that the higher the post count the more mentally unstable? Post reported for publishing private emails. Later.

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
Re:

Giuseppe Magnetico said:
Blutto, I see you haven't changed a bit. To clarify you smelled rat by Kittle's bike choice, and I called bulschidt on it. Nice thesis and I stand behind all of it, including the fact that you've been one of the most difficult members of this forum to babysit. Glad it's not my job anymore. What is it about this place that the higher the post count the more mentally unstable? Post reported for publishing private emails. Later.

....sorry to disappoint but nothing private was published, it was all copied from various forum thread posts....the one thread link from which the majority of the bits were taken is included in the post and the only one other bit is copied from the thread that notifies the forum about suspended members....still having a bit of a problem with the truth eh...makes for a good story though, but then that is what good shilling, errr, marketing is all about isn't it....

....and the insinuation of mental instability eh ....nice touch, that....kinda surprising you are even stooping lower than our last "encounter"....uhhh, maybe not ( you were after all a real special piece of work the first time thru )...

Cheers

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site

blutto said:
Giuseppe Magnetico said:

....sorry to disappoint but nothing private was published, it was all copied from various forum thread posts....the one thread link from which the majority of the bits were taken is included in the post and the only one other bit is copied from the thread that notifies the forum about suspended members....still having a bit of a problem with the truth eh...makes for a good story though, but then that is what good shilling, errr, marketing is all about isn't it....

....and the insinuation of mental instability eh ....nice touch, that....kinda surprising you are even stooping lower than our last "encounter"....uhhh, maybe not ( you were after all a real special piece of work the first time thru )...

Cheers

Your post was a reaction to perceived chicanery by the industry because you thought Kittel was playing a shell game with his bike choice for the day. BS. Then you proceeded to show me how truly unstable you are by pulling an argument we had 8 years ago that reference meetings I was in 20 years ago now. Whining 8 years later because I banned you for being yourself? How utterly creepy.

Care to get back on topic, or are you not done showing everyone that you're emotionally bankrupt and like to hold grudges?

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site

Giuseppe Magnetico said:
blutto said:
Giuseppe Magnetico said:

Cheers

Your post was a reaction to perceived chicanery by the industry because you thought Kittel was playing a shell game with his bike choice for the day. BS. Then you proceeded to show me how truly unstable you are by pulling an argument we had 8 years ago that reference meetings I was in 20 years ago now. Whining 8 years later because I banned you for being yourself? How utterly creepy.

Care to get back on topic, or are you not done showing everyone that you're emotionally bankrupt and like to hold grudges?

....just thought, one, it was interesting that someone who was poo-poo-ing people for seeing market scams was in fact in the business of not only coming up with market scams but being rather feckless about it by laughing at the rubes he had hoodwinked, and two, it would be helpful to show who leading the charge to shill the latest best bike thing ever ....as for holding a grudge, it was more the case of having a memory of something truly and monumentally hypocritical, things like that do stand out....your performance in that thread, punctuated by using your mod position to shut me up, was real special, what can I say....now I realize, given the way you seem to roll, that isn't something you would consider unusual, but that says more about you than it could ever say about me...

....so we can now add emotionally bankrupt, and utterly creepy to the insinuation of mental instability...cool ( though I do have an etiquette question...would I be considered gauche if I raised your emotionally bankrupt with a sanctimonious prat and your utterly creep with a screaming hypocrite....or is that simply beyond the pale ?...) ....but by all means keep shooting, fireworks are, at the very least, entertaining ...

...wondering how did your selling of the bs story about private messages go with the mods...?....methinks these guys proved a whole lot smarter than you assumed ( and they really are btw, and that aptly demonstrated by their performance over the past long while ) and they saw thru the crap...read, not everyone falls for a facile and transparent scam....you may believe you are a Svengali but I fear that may just a figment of an overactive imagination ( apparently a common problem in the marketing manipulation biz )....

....and before I leave one more wee thing....you wrote "reference meetings I was in 20 years ago"....so let me paraphrase that a bit to put the meta message into sharper relief....."yeah I lied, but that was 20 years ago, and I have not lied since, honest, and you can trust on that, so about disc brakes "....so please excuse me if I exercise a bit of prudence and use some caution when dealing with your new "honest" side and your disc brake narrative....

Cheers

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site

The decision to ban someone isn't a solo action, has to be approved. At least that was the protocol back then. If anyone had an objection to it then it would've been handled differently. The general consensus was that you should leave for a bit and I had no problem hitting the eject button. Still not sorry after almost a decade.

...... and you still have yet to explain the Kittel smoke screen. Shame(typical).

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site

Giuseppe Magnetico said:
The decision to ban someone isn't a solo action, has to be approved. At least that was the protocol back then. If anyone had an objection to it then it would've been handled differently. The general consensus was that you should leave for a bit and I had no problem hitting the eject button. Still not sorry after almost a decade.

...... and you still have yet to explain the Kittel smoke screen. Shame(typical).

....ok...the Kittle thingee reprised....Kittle didn't use discs in a situation where their advertised advantages would be most apparent ( mountain descending in the wet )....which even to the casual observer would/should/could raise reasonable doubt about the veracity of claims for disc brakes....I pointed that out...and yeah waxed poetic about it...the nerve, eh....bad blutto,bad....

...and then there is this comment from another forum....

Mountain stages - rim brakes
Flat stages - disc brakes

A simple proof that the impact of disc brakes in Kittel's success is not bigger than the impact of his socks

...and...

kgt Or "Why are people using disc brakes in the Tour in stages where no braking is needed?"

never been a truer statement in this thread so far, no one using discs in the mountains or classic type stages. even in the flats it's extremely minimal, looks like a promotion exercise to me.

A lot of Europeans see them as ugly looking pizza knifes with a sight of an inexperienced rider who dos not have the experience to brake properly, they also see them as a possible danger to avoid especially down mountains because of that reason...I'm afraid that's how it's viewed in Europe @moment.

...as for the, it wasn't me. it was us, that banned me claim...that would carry a lot more weight if you hadn't threatened me with a ban beforehand ( read, its just inconceivable that the threat came from "us", it, in point of fact, most likely came from just you....and yeah, "us" may have finally acted on it....which, as I said in that thread, is an action that basically ends up damming everyone involved....)....and oh almost forgot there is this..... " because I banned you for being yourself "....so speaking of banning by committee, try as I may I can't find a "we" in there, it is most definitely reduced to just "I", and a very proud one at that....and banned for being myself ? #AYFKM !? don't know what that means, like I'm still myself and I'm still here, or was the "can't be blutto on this forum" rule been rescinded for being terminally idiotic....please, at least for your own sake, try to keep the story at least half-way straight, or is making stuff up as required just the way you usually roll....and I'm supposed to be the mess.... :rolleyes: ...

....ok, at the end of the day you're still not sorry, well, neither am I....oh well, adrenalin levels were raised, but more significantly, no blood was spilled....just another day in the salt mines eh....you shilling $h!t in a bag, and me calling you on it...

....and so as long as I have your undivided attention, here is a question ( to as much as anything get this thread back on the rails cause I've said everything I want to say about our tiff ), how would you rate the new Campy disc brake system ?....am hoping it's a real game changer, because if it is, the used market will soon be flooded mit lotsa high end bikes equipped with those "decidedly" inferior rim brakes...me, I'm fancying a Colnago C60 with low miles and an SR grouppo in RSWH....and pricing will be delicious....

Cheers

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
Which takes me to the final point - brakes do one thing and one thing only - convert kinetic energy into heat. They surely do not stop you, because your brakes can work perfectly but if you are on ice, it really won't matter. Your TIRES stop you. So the discussion about the advantages and disadvantages of one technology over another boil down to something simple - heat management. For the vast majority of cyclists not riding in the rain, there is no advantage for either technology; properly modulated neither will stop you in a shorter distance than your tires allow. Riding in muddy or rainy conditions degrades rim braking simply because the condition of the disc (rim) is unpredictable so accurate timing for braking events is difficult, if not impossible. If you are descending mountain passes and need to modulate your speed because you are not on a closed course and/or you have gear with you (think touring/camping) then discs present and advantage because they will not impact other systems (tire/rim) adversely. But I seriously doubt the "need" for disc brakes when all they are doing is taking those precious watts you have trained so hard to produce and turning them into heat to be dissipated into the atmosphere

....to the bolded....the main advantage discs have is allowing poseurs to parade around on their spiffy deep dish carbon clincher wheels and not risk serious injury when their inability to brake properly comes into play....

....and here is a point of view youse may want to consider....you don't actually brake with your brakes you brake with your tires....its what you call a where the rubber meets the road kinda reasoning....just sayin' eh...

Cheers

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Kittel, or any Specialized rider at the tour who grabs a Tarmac for the day is going to be on the new SL6 that was launched right before the Tour start. There won't be a disc version of that bike until Q1 of next year, so this grand conspiracy you were so eager to point out.... isn't.

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
Re:

Giuseppe Magnetico said:
Kittel, nor any Specialized rider at the tour who grabs a Tarmac for the day is going to be on the new SL6 that was launched right before the Tour start. There won't be a disc version of that bike until Q1 of next year, so this grand conspiracy you were so eager to point out.... isn't.

....one of the underlying themes in the selling of disc brakes is as a safety feature....think of the serious injury you'll prevent by using disc brakes, and lets not even think of the millions of lives that will be saved , or the resulting mob of fatherless children etc etc etc....a safety feature especially important in fast technical descents and especially in same when rain is involved....so off goes Kittel into what becomes a crash fest of epic proportions with his life saving disc brakes left at home....hmmm....reality is a pound or so of weight is more important ( which btw is approximately one water bottle )....

...so the question is...is Kittel an absolute idiot, or does he think they really aren't that critical in this very very critical situation....and btw he does have experience with them ( read, he is not a newbie fred who knows nothing about riding...like he has more than a passing acquaintance with the concept of riding in seriously dangerous conditions ( probably more than both of us put together and then a whole lot more ))....

...just sayin' eh...

Cheers

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site

blutto said:
Giuseppe Magnetico said:
Kittel, or any Specialized rider at the tour who grabs a Tarmac for the day is going to be on the new SL6 that was launched right before the Tour start. There won't be a disc version of that bike until Q1 of next year, so this grand conspiracy you were so eager to point out.... isn't.

....one of the underlying themes in the selling of disc brakes is as a safety feature....think of the serious injury you'll prevent by using disc brakes, and lets not even think of the millions of lives that will be saved , or the resulting mob of fatherless children etc etc etc....a safety feature especially important in fast technical descents and especially in same when rain is involved....so off goes Kittel into what becomes a crash fest of epic proportions with his life saving disc brakes left at home....hmmm....reality is a pound or so of weight is more important ( which btw is approximately one water bottle )....

...so the question is...is Kittel an absolute idiot, or does he think they really aren't that critical in this very very critical situation....and btw he does have experience with them ( read, he is not a newbie fred who knows nothing about riding...like he has more than a passing acquaintance with the concept of riding in seriously dangerous conditions ( probably more than both of us put together and then a whole lot more ))....

...just sayin' eh...

Cheers

Boy, what imagination you have!! What dramatic flair!! :rolleyes:

Curious... How did you miss the part about SL6 debut, disc version next year?

You should hit up @marcelkittel on any social media and send him that exact message.. "ARE YOU AN ABSOLUTE IDIOT?" Please post his reply, I'm dying to hear it.

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site

Giuseppe Magnetico said:
blutto said:
Giuseppe Magnetico said:

...just sayin' eh...

Cheers

Boy, what imagination you have!! What dramatic flair!! :rolleyes:

Curious... How did you miss the part about SL6 debut, disc version next year?

You should hit up @marcelkittel on any social media and send him that exact message.. "ARE YOU AN ABSOLUTE IDIOT?" Please post his reply, I'm dying to hear it.

....to the bolded....awww shucks, I didn't think you'd notice, that is so sweet of you....you're such a peach !...

....now why on earth should I do that when the evidence in fact clearly shows the latter....drawing on his experience with disc brakes he decided that disc brakes were worth less than the extra 1 lb of weight he would have to carry up the hill if he used them ( and this even in conditions that the shills claim confer huge advantages to users of meat-cutters, errr, disc brakes )....

....no Marcel is a very smart boy, he pocketed the appearance money, but where the rubber really hit the road went with the smart solution....yeah that is a bit transparent and mercenary but hey this is the circus, errr, professional bike racing....

....the conclusion is pretty obvious....or should be to most sentient beings....like, I explained it to two blue jays at the bird feeder this morning and even they got it ( and they are renown for being goofiest birds in the bush )....so what exactly is your problem ?...like on the surface you seem to be smarter than a blue jay....it couldn't be something like "appearance" money could it ?...

Cheers

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
This edition of the Tour there aren't any disc versions of the new SL6 for Kittel or any Specialized team to ride because they don't exist yet. Kind of an important tidbit to consider, too bad you refuse to pick up on that. But nooo, you're not flaming. What was I thinking.. Pffft!

Jul 4, 2009
Visit site
Re:

Giuseppe Magnetico said:
This edition of the Tour there aren't any disc versions of the new SL6 for Kittel or any Specialized team to ride because they don't exist yet. Kind of an important tidbit to consider, too bad you refuse to pick up on that. But nooo, you're not flaming. What was I thinking.. Pffft!

....so let me get this straight, the bike he wins stages on is incapable of climbing and descending and he is then forced to use a bike that then forces him to leave his life-saving disc brakes at home ( gee that doesn't reflect well on Specialized does it...maybe they should think of designing fully functional bikes eh... ) ....could just be me but that seems like a pretty thin reed to hang your story on ( like I do realize you are madly scrambling to spin this, but come on, at least try to keep it remotely believable )....

Cheers

TRENDING THREADS