• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

DNFs in Kermesses, Criteriums, and Circuit Races

I have some questions for the more experienced fans, growing out of the results I've seen posted for the USA Mens Road Championships and the Philadelphia Cycling Classic.

Huge percentages of the field, maybe up to half, didn't finish either of those races, each of which were raced over relatively short urban/surburban circuits, and I am wondering if that's a characteristic of US domestic cycling in particular or of the various forms of circuit racing in general?

I mean, what's going on with not finishing? Do riders get pulled by the officials because they've been lapped, perhaps, does that explain it (I've seen that happen in local races)? Do American team managers pull their riders once it's clear they're not going to figure in the finale for safety reasons? Reasons of energy conversation (gotta race next week, after all)? Is this something that also happens in European kermesse racing and in the shorter circuit US-style criteriums as well?

May 25, 2009
Visit site
I think it's just because it's more tempting to stop if the finish is right there, particularly if you've been dropped and aren't going to get back on. If it's not a stage race, what are you riding for?

Aug 3, 2009
Visit site
William H said:
I think it's just because it's more tempting to stop if the finish is right there, particularly if you've been dropped and aren't going to get back on. If it's not a stage race, what are you riding for?

That and here for cyclocross races, they get pulled out by officials once they are lapped, suppose its the same there

christopherrowe said:
I mean, what's going on with not finishing?

It is far more common than maybe you realize. Workers burn their few matches early placing their lead rider and can't keep going at that pace.

What would be the point of finishing if you are neither in the money, nor in the points? A rider can go do some more structured training.