• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Do DH racers dope?

Simple question.

It seems like the same drugs that short distance track & field athletes would use, would also be applicable to DH, yet nobody has ever tests positive.

What gives?

I guess if you guys want to watch clean cycling, you're watching the wrong discipline.

does this look like the face of a doper?

danny_hart_profile.jpg

does this?

Greg_Minnaar.jpg

These guys barely look like athletes. If they are on something it's pain killers or performance-detracting drugs.

p4pb7230977.jpg

Jul 30, 2009
Visit site
you are suggesting DH riders dont dope, and people are agreeing with you? :confused:

there may be a small difference of opinion where you think they may benefit from dope, and some of us do not, as DH is skill and balls more than being able to turn pedals with lots of power, even on 'pedally' DH runs.

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, those DH racers, never training!

Graves-on-Hammerhead-590x549.jpg

Clearly, that's a guy who smokes an eighth a day and never leaves the couch.

Look up the training videos of Gwin, the Athertons, Justin Leov (retired now), Minnaar and others., then tell me that these are the dope-smoking bruhs of the early '90s (hell, even in the early 90s there were some fit dudes crossing over from BMX).

As for doping, stimulants come to mind. I've wondered for a while if some of the "recovery" concoctions DHers are prone to using ride a fine line regarding PED abuse.

jam pants said:
Look up the training videos of Gwin, the Athertons, Justin Leov (retired now), Minnaar and others., then tell me that these are the dope-smoking bruhs of the early '90s (hell, even in the early 90s there were some fit dudes crossing over from BMX).

As for doping, stimulants come to mind. I've wondered for a while if some of the "recovery" concoctions DHers are prone to using ride a fine line regarding PED abuse.

I second most of this. Railing a descent is tiring and any drug that improves endurance and recovery will bring an advantage. The other drug that would be different than endurance athletes would be something to lower anxiety and therefore stay off the brakes.

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
The majority of top Downhill racers "training" would be by definition endurance. There aren't many that can afford to train on courses with gondolas constantly.
They will ride all day, sprinting down then pushing back up the hill as quickly as possible. Every single day. As someone else said earlier, the days of pot-smoking bros is well and truly over, these guys are out and out Elite athletes. Like All professional athletes they will need an Elite drug program to maintain that level of training/recovery.

And that's ignoring how ridiculously hard riding downhill is in a single run - they don't just coast, they sprint at every opportunity.

Downhill racing is massively tiring. Any point where you can pedal is a sprint, anyone in the UK who watches the cycle show (don't, it's bobbins) will note that Gee Atherton tops the list in the sprint challenge (at least he did last time I watched it).

Will drugs help? Yes. Are they as prevelant? I doubt it. Downhillers come from a different background although that is changing and drugs are probably the difference between first and fourth rather than contract and no contract.

TRENDING THREADS