• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Do No Tubes sealant and tubs go together?

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I've never ridden tubs before and am thinking of getting a pair of wheels built up for the next 'cross season. Probably, Hope 3 f&r hubs laced to Ambrosio Nemesis rims. I may even give them a try on the road first. But.....I'm a bit bummed by the whole puncture scenario,especially getting stranded in the middle of a big training ride with a flat tub and was wondering what the implications might be of using No Tubes in road/cross tubs and whether anybody has gone down this route before and has any advice? Do people still use tubs for 'every day' riding? Or am I being a Luddite? :eek:

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
Train on clinchers, race on tubulars.

Sealant is kinda hooky, but a lot of people use it in Roubaix, or at least they used to . More popular on the MTB scene, and sealant can be annoying if it globs on one side of the tube, it will make your wheel feel out of balance. Those Nemesis rims have that balancing weight at the valve hole that makes for a sweet ride at high speeds, don't want to mess that up.

Apr 18, 2009
Visit site
Hi, i used ti live in an aero wirth a lot of bindi's on the road, litle thorn's of tree's that will go trough everything,a few ridders there rode with tubbi's but would seal them up with stans.
we came to find out that that would only be sucses full with butyl tyres and would not work with latex inners.
so you wanted be carefull were you pour no stans in.when you use them in latex it try to seal all the "microholes" a latex inner has, wich cause the stans to be gone or used by the time you need it, in case of a flat.

good luck

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
LugHugger said:
I've never ridden tubs before and am thinking of getting a pair of wheels built up for the next 'cross season. Probably, Hope 3 f&r hubs laced to Ambrosio Nemesis rims. I may even give them a try on the road first. But.....I'm a bit bummed by the whole puncture scenario,especially getting stranded in the middle of a big training ride with a flat tub and was wondering what the implications might be of using No Tubes in road/cross tubs and whether anybody has gone down this route before and has any advice? Do people still use tubs for 'every day' riding? Or am I being a Luddite? :eek:

Use this for cross tubies.

http://www.teamcyclist.com/store/Vittoria-Tire-Sealant-Pit-Stop-Road-Racing_P8009.cfm

I ride tubies eveyday with no problem, VERY few flats. Wear the tire out most of the time. Conti Sprinters.

Apr 19, 2009
Visit site
I don't think that sealants like stans are intended to work in tubes. The tube is too thin for the puncture to get clogged by the sealant. Sealants are used more often with tubeless tires. Tufo makes a tubeless tubular that they recommend to use with their sealant. The tufo sealant is similar to stans. Maybe you can check with the folks at stans.