• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Do u agree about coments of lance on twiter that contador still has to learn

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Just look at today.
If you say you think he's done learning, you're kinda saying he's just not good enough to win Paris-Nice again. Strange for a fan.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
I agree that LA probably shouldn't have gone there on a team mate, even if his intentions are innocent, perception of those comments by the public will be different.

Bert does have some learning to do though, there were riders there today whose attacks he needed follow and riders he could have given some rope too. Results might well have been the same but I think he let competition get the best of him and he wore himself out countering attacks he didn't need to counter, at least to that degree. He didn't need to cross the line first today to keep the jersey but he rode at time as if anything less than winning the stage would cost him the race, when in reality limiting his losses may well have been enough to keep in the jersey. He may have lost the jersey regardless but IMHO smarter riding would have limited his losses at the least.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Ola, EL PISTOLERO!

Experience as a general concept comprises knowledge of or skill in or observation of some thing or some event gained through involvement in or exposure to that thing or event.

One of the more crucial, yet subtle aspects of racing, as you well know "EL PISTOLERO," is the conservation of energy. I believe there is no one more tapped into understanding those subtleties than Mr. Armstrong. For example, we all know when riding without team support one must be very conservative in the expenditure of energy.

While it appears on the surface that Lance may have been focusing directly in his comment on Alberto bonking, I believe he was directing his statement (of "Alberto had a lot to learn") not as much towards "the bonk" itself, but what led to Alberto's predicament in the first place. Anyone out there care to comment on what transpired before the bonk?

I think that Lance was most gracious in his entire statement in that he suggested "Alberto had a lot to learn" while praising his team mate as having "Amazing talent" and then identifying, based on his own experience, "It's miserable." Followed up with "He'll be back fightin' tomorrow" which should psychologically inspire Alberto.

Personally "EL PISTOLERO", I found Astana's team sports director Gallopin comment rather disconcerting when he said after the race “It’s over,” the Frenchman told Reuters after the rider had to be helped off his bike by a team assistant. “One minute 50 seconds (behind), there is no discussion about it."

No Alain, there is discussion about it. "He'll be back fightin' tomorrow"

Audios, amigo.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Robert Merivel said:
Personally "EL PISTOLERO", I found Astana's team sports director Gallopin comment rather disconcerting when he said after the race “It’s over,” the Frenchman told Reuters after the rider had to be helped off his bike by a team assistant. “One minute 50 seconds (behind), there is no discussion about it."

Audios, amigo.

Actually Bruneel twittered something pretty similar about the race: "Difficult day for Alberto Contador and the team today in Paris-Nice. Lost the lead and the race. We can't always win. We'll be back!"

Contador lacks endurance, but that's not strange. He is only 26. Armstrong was already older then that, before he won his first Tour de France.
I think Contador is of another level, certainly for the future, he might not win the TDF 7 times, but he already won so much other races, which Lance never won...

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
De Renner said:
Actually Bruneel twittered something pretty similar about the race: "Difficult day for Alberto Contador and the team today in Paris-Nice. Lost the lead and the race. We can't always win. We'll be back!"

THIS IS JOHAN POST
SOURCE :http://twitter.com/johanbruyneel (13/03/09)
"Difficult day for Alberto Contador and the team today in Paris-Nice. Lost the lead and the race. We can't always win. We'll be back!"
:p:p:p

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Robert Merivel said:
Ola, EL PISTOLERO!

Experience as a general concept comprises knowledge of or skill in or observation of some thing or some event gained through involvement in or exposure to that thing or event.

One of the more crucial, yet subtle aspects of racing, as you well know "EL PISTOLERO," is the conservation of energy. I believe there is no one more tapped into understanding those subtleties than Mr. Armstrong. For example, we all know when riding without team support one must be very conservative in the expenditure of energy.

While it appears on the surface that Lance may have been focusing directly in his comment on Alberto bonking, I believe he was directing his statement (of "Alberto had a lot to learn") not as much towards "the bonk" itself, but what led to Alberto's predicament in the first place. Anyone out there care to comment on what transpired before the bonk?

I think that Lance was most gracious in his entire statement in that he suggested "Alberto had a lot to learn" while praising his team mate as having "Amazing talent" and then identifying, based on his own experience, "It's miserable." Followed up with "He'll be back fightin' tomorrow" which should psychologically inspire Alberto.

Audios, amigo.

ADIOS AMIGO.
AC will be BACK and will be more stronger for sure

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
Yea, Lance critiquing Contador for bonking :rolleyes: did he forget what happened to himself at the Tour in agh, I forget the year where he came in chalky lipped after not eating enough on a climbing stage :D

It happens and to everyone Lancey boy. Why didn't Lance call Contador up and remind him of his failings? I need to find the picture, its classic if you've ever seen anyone bonk big time.

Once again, I repeat. Contador lacks stamina. This is what I read on another forum:

I was just looking at the TT at last year's Vuelta. Again, the results show the same

1st check (11km)
Leipheimer
Chavanel +0:04
Contador +0:05
Sastre +0:37

2nd check (28km)
Leipheimer
Chavanel +??
Contador +0:24
Sastre +1:09

finish (42.5km)
Leipheimer
Chavanel +0:12
Contador +0:49
Sastre +1:30

He lost more time to Leipheimer and Chavanel in the last third than he did in the first two thirds put together.

In fact, by the time he gets to the last few kms, he even starts losing time to out-of-form Sastre.

EDIT:

Just to ram the point home
pfft.gif

Olympics:

km 10.8
Contador
Larsson +0:17
Cancellara +0:28
Leipheimer +0:30

km 23.5
Cancellara -0:15
Contador
Larsson +0:10
Leipheimer +0:28

km 34.6
Larsson -0:20
Cancellara -0:14
Contador
Leipheimer +0:32

km 47
Cancellara -1:18
Larsson -0:45
Leipheimer -0:09
Contador

To give you an idea, by the final sector, he's not even gaining time on Chris Anker Sörensen...

He has no stamina. The longer he goes, the more he slows down.
At the first checks, a few kms into the TTs, he has great times. Farther along into every TT, the times keep getting worse.

By the time he's at the last few kms of each TT he's actually going slower than Chris Anker Sorensen and an out-of-form Sastre.

It's the same during road races...long classics, hard races..Contador lacks stamina, it's very clear

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
YEs SURE HE HAS TO LEARN BUT NOT OF ARMSTRONG INOPORTUNITY LESSONS, HE WILL LEArn Of INDURAIN,CoPPi,MErcKx .. LAnce Twittering is only a campaign to clean his dopped pass pro cycling:cool:

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Dekker_Tifosi said:
Once again, I repeat. Contador lacks stamina. This is what I read on another forum:

It's the same during road races...long classics, hard races..Contador lacks stamina, it's very clear

YES BUT HE IS ONLY 26 and is not TT his special rutine,SO i think at age of 30 he could do much better the finals Km, It an endurance question:)

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
This is probably Lance's attempt at constructive critism, never has been the best with compassion! I'm sure though that Alberto has the best teachers to learn from in the Astana team!

Mar 15, 2009
Visit site
Lance himself bonked famously on Joux Plane in 2000, and himself said he could have lost the Tour de France. Didnt eat enough, missed his feed at lunch.

Also happened to Greg Lemond, missed his feed was it the tour? And cracked.

I think Contador went way too deep yesterday to win the stage, didnt recover well enough, didnt eat enough today, and voila.

Of course Lance is the alpha rider and reminding Contador. But bad for Gallopin. He himself saud Contador needs a free rein to express himself. Poor direction. The DS should be following the riders and making sure they eat enough.

In the end, it is Contador's mistake and he does have a lot to learn.

I think Lance is still the alpha and reminding Alberto who the boss is.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
LANCE: "Unfortunate day for Alberto. Amazing talent but still a lot to learn."

Contador has a lot to learn about Armstrong's guile and ruthlessness. He's taking lessons from a master. I think Astana was a horrible career move for Contador. Why not be a big fish in a little pond (as he could be) instead of a small fish in a big pond? Astana's strength is almost overkill, but I think they're using Contador - and not in a good way.

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
ElChingon said:
Here it is in video form, gotta love the internet, no pointing fingers Lance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfLQVNavI8Q

tifosa said:

Contador has a lot to learn about Armstrong's guile and ruthlessness. He's taking lessons from a master. I think Astana was a horrible career move for Contador. Why not be a big fish in a little pond (as he could be) instead of a small fish in a big pond? Astana's strength is almost overkill, but I think they're using Contador - and not in a good way.

Yes i think nearly some thing like that about they are usig him not for his profit:(:(:confused:

Mar 11, 2009
Visit site
Not a big deal -- LA critiqued himself harder than that, both after Joux-Plane and in his books. Just because LA isn't smooching AC's chamois doesn't mean he's cutting him....

This is the grown-up, real world; nobody's promised 'a fair shake'. Nobody painted AC a rosy picture of him winning multiple TDFs in order to get him to sign with Astana. He started squawking the day after LA announced his comeback, coming off like a diva, but everyone seemed to settle down and agree to let things shake out.

As an experienced rider and competitor, LA seems to me to be giving the benefit of his experience in reading the situation objectively. Anyone who disagrees with me (or him) can do so freely. But until you're THERE, in that position, you need to go easy on the flame wars.

Mar 10, 2009
Visit site
You guys are like the press, only taking bits and pieces from the twitter to make it something its not. It really wasn't that bad. Also, these guys are pros. They do this for a living. AC should know to eat, he just screwed up. LA has been there like we all have. It happens. Bet you AC wont let it happen again. So maybe LA was right and AC learned something.

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
anyone who thinks LA is sharing "wisdom" is kidding themselves.....this is all part of the mind games. If one of my workmates, who supposedly was on the same level as i was said i had a lot to learn i'd give him an upper cut.

AC knows he stuffed up, it happens. LA has taken the opportunity to have a dig. I was happy to hear of LA's comeback but now i remember why i didnt like LA mk.2......go AC TdF 09 :D

Mar 15, 2009
Visit site
"EL PISTOLERO" said:
SOURCE:http://twitter.com/lancearmstrong (14/03/09)
LANCE: "Alberto "bonked". Not that uncommon in endurance sports. It's miserable. He'll be back fightin' tomorrow"

WHAT U SAY PEOPLE; IM NOT AGREE:confused:

Its for sure strange that Lance did such an harsh comment on AC performance but he ist right!
AC did not stay calm for several reasons and forgot to eat and drink in the second point.
Lance also trusts AC when he wrote that he´ll be back tomorrow
So what.