• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Does anyone here...

May 9, 2009
Visit site
Does anyone here NOT love Jens Voigt?!?

Seriously...he races like bike racers should race.
Sure he's done ONE or TWO dodgy moves in his career but nothing overly heinous.

I think all Cat.4 riders should watch about 10 hours of Jens video just to learn race mentality.

It's settled then? Jensy is THE poster boy? :D

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Steel4Ever said:

I think all Cat.4 riders should watch about 10 hours of Jens video just to learn race mentality.

Well I don't, because most of you guys are really overhyping him like he is the only rider out there willing to battle on a bike. Yes, Voigt is strong, super domestique and has a positive attitude but he won't be nothing more than a little comma in the book of cycling history.

Jul 11, 2009
Visit site
il_fiammingo said:
Well I don't, because most of you guys are really overhyping him like he is the only rider out there willing to battle on a bike. Yes, Voigt is strong, super domestique and has a positive attitude but he won't be nothing more than a little comma in the book of cycling history.

met him, trained with him......Didn't really like him but then Germans tend not to get along well with me, something about sarcasm. I think a lot of it is Phligget and Derwin hyping the guy up.

Jul 14, 2009
Visit site
The_Z_man said:
"I get paid to hurt other people. How good is that!?" - Jens Voigt 2008 interview.
Z saw your location. Please tell me your race is going to be bigger and better than ever this year. Last year was great but a little spooky when they looked like they wouldn't have the cash. Griepel was fast as --it! Look forward to seeing Voight or another Grerman do well there. Bset race in the states. The Wall

Sep 2, 2009
Visit site
53 x 11 said:
met him, trained with him......Didn't really like him but then Germans tend not to get along well with me, something about sarcasm. I think a lot of it is Phligget and Derwin hyping the guy up.

Hmm... sounds interesting. Any particular incident causing this?

Met him at a race. Compared to the other pros at the same event, he was cheerful, goodnatured and happy to chat with the fans.

I think speaking English is a big part of his popularity amongst the Anglophone community, but there is something to be said for his personality.

If there is one thing that sets him apart, I think it is that he has a great perspective on life and racing...the quote above:

"I get paid to hurt other people. How good is that!?" - Jens Voigt 2008 interview.

says it all. He knows that his role is that of an entertainer, and his profession is a luxury or a game. He's enjoying himself and it shows.

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
I like him as a solid domestique who gives his all. Much like many other pros who receive far less fanfare. Don't quite get the amount of attention he receives versus other riders who have been more successful. Longevity probably plays a part.

Sherwin is the main culprit. He is so far over the top with his "Big Jens Voigt" commentary that it nearly equals that of his Lance infatuation.

Jul 10, 2009
Visit site
fatandfast said:
Z saw your location. Please tell me your race is going to be bigger and better than ever this year. Last year was great but a little spooky when they looked like they wouldn't have the cash. Griepel was fast as --it! Look forward to seeing Voight or another Grerman do well there. Bset race in the states. The Wall
So far there has been little word about this year's edition. I don't know if that's good or bad.

Hopefully this year my friend will have the good sense not to schedule a bar crawl the day before the race. I almost missed last year's edition!

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Voigt also speaks French fluently, which is rather uncommon for a German, and is furthermore popular in France for his time with Credit Agricole.

To me he stands out as one of the most sympathetic guys from the peloton.

Jul 26, 2009
Visit site
comon , Jens is great.........if we were all a DS we would wish we had 10 JV's on our team...........and by the way i have also had a couple of personal experiences with the man , gotta say he was kool, no question.........

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
A lot of it is Voigt's personality...he is a quote machine. Also, the way he thrashes around on his bike and makes all the in pain faces...sure people like him. He is good for the sport.

Aug 16, 2009
Visit site
Steel4Ever said:

I don't know if he is as great as some say, but he sure can make a race more interesting, so from a fan point of view I'm with you all the way. Plus his general reputation as a nice and friendly guy makes him easy to like.

TRENDING THREADS