• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Does Anyone REALLY Wish...

May 9, 2009
Visit site
You were a true professional cyclist?

Some days, especially back in the days when I was racing and was actually fit and competitive, I thought it would be awesome to have that job. But then I would think, "But holy crap! It's actually a very HARD job!"

I think the majority of people who dream about being a pro biker greatly underestimate just how hard it is.

Or maybe I'm just weak. :(

Steel4Ever said:

Some days, especially back in the days when I was racing and was actually fit and competitive, I thought it would be awesome to have that job. But then I would think, "But holy crap! It's actually a very HARD job!"

I think the majority of people who dream about being a pro biker greatly underestimate just how hard it is.

Maybe your head just isn't big enough.

May 9, 2009
Visit site
Maybe.
As you can tell, all the other chaps have fine bowlers*, I was still waiting for mine to be retrofit for my S/M cranium.

yalebicycleclub.jpg

If it counts for anything, I do have the pro standard head:thigh circumference ratio of 3.14.

*(as a side note, I'd love to see any of today's prima donnas do a race whislt wearing a SUIT!)

Jul 6, 2009
Visit site
yeah i think you hit the nail on the head most bitter posters on here are burn out attempted racers who failed. they take the easy rode and assume that all who do well dope that makes there own lives easier to except. why not just enjoy the bike and the experience for what it is. my 2 cents

forty four said:
yeah i think you hit the nail on the head most bitter posters on here are burn out attempted racers who failed. they take the easy rode and assume that all who do well dope that makes there own lives easier to except. why not just enjoy the bike and the experience for what it is. my 2 cents

Drunk posting is sometimes not pretty. Did you even respond to the right thread?

Jul 7, 2009
Visit site
I have never had any desire to be a pro cyclist. The doping thing is kinda scary.
On the plus side, it's probably cool to see Europe on someone else's dime.
On the negative side, training in foul weather's no fun.
I suspect one has to be amongst the top 10 in the world to make any money.
200 riders in a GT.
10% is the top 20 guys.
That's a tough nut to crack.
But what the hey?

May 9, 2009
Visit site
knewcleardaze said:
I have never had any desire to be a pro cyclist. The doping thing is kinda scary.

I raced with a guy who had a fair bit of talent. He went over to Italy in the late 90's to race with whatever teams, clubs, etc. were below pro level. He came back well within a year because he said they were all doping -- even the jrs. He has since been enjoying healthy employment on the N. American teams.

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
knewcleardaze said:
On the plus side, it's probably cool to see Europe on someone else's dime.
On the negative side, training in foul weather's no fun.
I suspect one has to be amongst the top 10 in the world to make any money.
200 riders in a GT.
10% is the top 20 guys.
That's a tough nut to crack.
But what the hey?

Nah, it's way more than the top 10, but yeah you have to be very good.

No, never.

I have always known I have absolutely no talent whatsoever when it comes to cycling. I have just enjoyed riding my bike since I was a kid and will probably continue to do so until the day I die.

I wish I got into cycling earlier than I did. The first experience I had was when I watched the 2003 Tour. I'll always remember Virenque winning alone in Morzine - I think Moreau and Chavanel placed high that day too :D . Anyway, from then on I wanted to do that - I went and circled the bike and gear etc. I wanted. Didn't have the money to buy any of it though :p (not that I picked out £3k bikes, I just literally had no money).

Never really got round to it after that, but one wish I would have would be to go back and start cycling. I'm definitely going to start when I go home to Wales this summer, and I'll join a club when I come back to London at the end of the year. Life ambition now is to do L'Etape du Tour or/and do some of the 'classic climbs' at some point.

I had a dream not long ago where I was in the peloton somewhere, just rolling along - didn't attack/win the stage or anything - it would be amazing just to do that once. That's what I think anyway. I've never told anyone any of that before..

:eek:

Jul 29, 2009
Visit site
I think I could be a good pro cyclist.

I'm 37 and have retired from sport more than once.

I could wear the kit with panache, I enjoy taking winter trips to warmer climes and can Twitter with confidence. I'm sure I could easily get the hang of uploading video footage of me training, as well as giving useful insights into a current race with video blogs or interviews with my fellow pros from inside the team bus.

As long as I wasn't expected to either race much or actually win I'd be fantastic.

Feb 10, 2010
Visit site
For a while I did, I suppose. Now my goal is to race successfully at the highest level where doping doesn't take the spotlight. (That also gives me a nice fallback excuse!)

Regardless, I think I'd give it a shot, at least. Curiosity is a demon and I think it'd be nice to be pro, if only for a while just to see what it's like.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
No. Never wanted to be a pro cyclist, but always wondered what would have happened if I tried track cycling when I was younger. However, no hope on the road or trails. There are many other things I can torment myself about if I think hard enough, but not being a pro cyclist.

ravens

BANNED
Nov 22, 2009
Visit site
Steel4Ever said:

I'd like to be fit enough to be competitive in cat-3 in my area. I don't think being a Euro pro is much fun although there is always the chance you could be part of something historic, so I guess there's that.

TRENDING THREADS