• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Does BMC Have a Team?

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
After PR and only big George finishing 29th not a single BMC rider even finished the race. Now with the Italian investigation sidelining Ballan and Santambrogio can Evans and Hincapie get a team together to compete?

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
rick bensco said:
After PR and only big George finishing 29th not a single BMC rider even finished the race. Now with the Italian investigation sidelining Ballan and Santambrogio can Evans and Hincapie get a team together to compete?

It would be my position that they have not competed at all this year...so the answer would be NO.

Dec 18, 2009
Visit site
Evans seems up creek without a paddle once again. Then, little-to-no-team is par for the course for him really, so one should think he's used to it by now :p

The cobbled classics campaign was a huge disappointment. While Hincapie had a respectable finish in RVV he didn't really add anything to the race. With him and Ballan there should have been some move or mentioning of their names.

Without knowing what due dilligence efforts were put in to the signing of Ballan and Santambrogio, I don't think they can really be at fault for that. I don't want to go towards clinic discussion, but this wasn't exactly like Discovery signing Basso. At least BMC took some action to mitigate their damages.

The next month and a half will be HUGE for BMC. Evans should show some life in the Ardennes and he needs at least a podium at the Giro.

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
I don't think we should expect a lot this year from BMC. The team will gain momentum when it discovers its own talents, so it doesn't just have to rely on the established riders to bring in results. Evans probably will not podium in the giro or be an important factor in the Tour; he doesn't seem like the type of rider who can perform well in a team that is more or less thrown together. A comparison would be Coast and Phonak in the past; these teams also needed time to find the confidence to perform at a high level.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Jonathan said:
I don't think we should expect a lot this year from BMC. The team will gain momentum when it discovers its own talents, so it doesn't just have to rely on the established riders to bring in results. Evans probably will not podium in the giro or be an important factor in the Tour; he doesn't seem like the type of rider who can perform well in a team that is more or less thrown together. A comparison would be Coast and Phonak in the past; these teams also needed time to find the confidence to perform at a high level.

but coast and phonak rode well because of a certain leader they had(ullrich and landis). bmc has one too but they still all fail miserably except the leader evans.

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
but coast and phonak rode well because of a certain leader they had(ullrich and landis). bmc has one too but they still all fail miserably except the leader evans.
The basic pattern for new teams is that they have experienced leaders in their first year but that these men don't really live up to expectations.

Mar 31, 2010
Visit site
Jonathan said:
The basic pattern for new teams is that they have experienced leaders in their first year but that these men don't really live up to expectations.

Landis and Ullrich didn't live up to their expectations in their teams? Ullrich rode one of his best tours in 2003 and Landis won the tour.

Jul 13, 2009
Visit site
Ryo Hazuki said:
Landis and Ullrich didn't live up to their expectations in their teams? Ullrich rode one of his best tours in 2003 and Landis won the tour.

Exactly. By that time, Phonak had already established itself quite well. I also don't think Ullrich immediately joined Coast. The first year for a new team is often difficult, both for the new riders and the experienced ones. That's why I don't think that BMC has a critical month, Giro, or Tour coming up: this whole year will be hard for them, and probably disappointing.

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
They are 10th in the pro-tour rankings to date, and look very likely to earn an automatic bid to the tour next year.

A lot of other teams would like to be in that position I think.

kurtinsc said:
They are 10th in the pro-tour rankings to date, and look very likely to earn an automatic bid to the tour next year.

The World tour ranking gives a false image of the real state of BMC, currently 23th in the CQ ranking. Far behind teams that don't even get invited into many World Tour races, while BMC does...

kurtinsc said:

Which goes to show how ridiculous that ranking is. BMC have a 3rd in Tirreno-Adriatico, 6th in the Tour of Flanders, 4th in Gent-Wevelgem and 6th in the Tour Down Under. And that's pretty much their entire season so far....

That's good enough to get guaranteed Tour spot? It makes me want to vomit.

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
Moondance said:
Which goes to show how ridiculous that ranking is. BMC have a 3rd in Tirreno-Adriatico, 6th in the Tour of Flanders, 4th in Gent-Wevelgem and 6th in the Tour Down Under. And that's pretty much their entire season so far....

That's good enough to get guaranteed Tour spot? It makes me want to vomit.

Well... they do understand which races matter.

I think everyone pretty much knew how the selection for the tour was going to work. Having a partial US focus, BMC knew that getting a tour selection was a big deal... and their performances have been in line with what was required.

The other races with points this season so far were Paris-Nice, Paris-Roubaix, Milan-Sanremo and Pais-Vasco. They've essentially scored points in half of the races that everyone knew were the only ones that counted when it came to getting an automatic Tour selection in 2011.

I'm not saying the way of deciding is good... but everyone knew how it was going to work coming into the year. BMC seems to have planned for it.

Cadel Evans will be their big point scorer. So far he's only had 4 stage/races (I think) that weren't in events that scored points... the Criterium International (3 stages) and the Gran Premio dell'Insurbia. I'm guessing going forward you'll see a similar focus on the races that score points. He'll do some of the Ardennes Classics, the Giro, either the Dauphine Libere or Tour de Suisse, and the Tour. Perhaps Romandie as well.

Their team may not be doing well... but they seem to have a very smart approach to the season when it comes to getting a Tour bid next year.

Jonathan said:

...with Thor being an exception last year, and I'd argue that Flecha has met expectations so far for Sky this year.

On the other hand, I agree with you that Sastre did not meet expectations last year.

Ballan and Hincapie have been underperforming in what should have been their time of year, and the jury is still out on Evans and Wiggo.

kurtinsc said:

I think everyone pretty much knew how the selection for the tour was going to work. Having a partial US focus, BMC knew that getting a tour selection was a big deal... and their performances have been in line with what was required.

The other races with points this season so far were Paris-Nice, Paris-Roubaix, Milan-Sanremo and Pais-Vasco. They've essentially scored points in half of the races that everyone knew were the only ones that counted when it came to getting an automatic Tour selection in 2011.

I'm not saying the way of deciding is good... but everyone knew how it was going to work coming into the year. BMC seems to have planned for it.

Cadel Evans will be their big point scorer. So far he's only had 4 stage/races (I think) that weren't in events that scored points... the Criterium International (3 stages) and the Gran Premio dell'Insurbia. I'm guessing going forward you'll see a similar focus on the races that score points. He'll do some of the Ardennes Classics, the Giro, either the Dauphine Libere or Tour de Suisse, and the Tour. Perhaps Romandie as well. Their team may not be doing well... but they seem to have a very smart approach to the season when it comes to getting a Tour bid next year.

Yeah, that's right.... The only races that matter are the ones that the UCI says matters, right? BMC, as you rightly point out, are 10th in the World Rankings right now. Only one spot above them are Liquigas (210 v. 197 pts). Liquigas has 15 wins, BMC has a big doughnut. BMC are ahead (in the UCI Rankings) of teams like Rabobank, Garmin, Sky and Cofidis, who all have wins in major races which people care about (although sadly, in the case of Garmin, they haven't come in UCI-approved races).

BMC aren't to blame for a horrible system existing, obviously. But they are on course to potentially profit royally off it, and that annoys people. The funny thing is is that their glorious Top 17 spot will win them automatic entries into not just le Tour but also the Giro and the Vuelta.... I guess cycling fans will have to make peace with having the joy of seeing riders like Danilo Wyss, Brent Bookwalter and Alexander Kristoff grace the rears of GT peletons all year round, while quality, victory getting riders, on teams like Vacansoleil, AG2R or Cofidis will have to beg and plead to get into every big race. It'll sure be fun.

flicker

BANNED
Aug 17, 2009
Visit site
BMC is all good. Good on them lucky for them one of their weeds was pulled.

Great team, owner, staff, etc. Come November some great riders will be looking for a good home and they will be accepted into BMC.

Should be an outstanding team in the classics and tour in 2011.

Right now its about building a foundation.

kurtinsc said:
Their team may not be doing well... but they seem to have a very smart approach to the season when it comes to getting a Tour bid next year.
A very American view on cycling, I have to say. It's not about scoring points to get into the Tour, it's about being competitive and racing attractively. If their approach is really as you say, well, good for them... they're not gaining a lot of fans that way, it seems.

kurtinsc said:

Saying that their performances have been in line with what was required is assuming that there was a requirement. As we've learnt from the omission of Vacansoleil and Saur, there was no 'racing requirement' on BMC whatsoever, otherwise it would be quite clear that Vacansoleil would have had the spot. That's not to say whether it's right or wrong that they got the invite, but it's misleading to say their performances have been in line with what was required, when nothing short of Cadel Evans cutting the head off Christian Prudhomme's son for stepping on his dog was going to get Vacansoleil or Saur invited, because the ASO lied through their teeth to them about their chances.

Jul 17, 2009
Visit site
Cadel should have gone to Garmin
they never had a team IMHO and if Cadel thought he was too easily and too often isolated in the mtn stages last season then this year's tour will be solitary confinement. with or with out suspensions.

kurtinsc said:

Cadel Evans will be their big point scorer. So far he's only had 4 stage/races (I think) that weren't in events that scored points... the Criterium International (3 stages) and the Gran Premio dell'Insurbia. I'm guessing going forward you'll see a similar focus on the races that score points. He'll do some of the Ardennes Classics, the Giro, either the Dauphine Libere or Tour de Suisse, and the Tour. Perhaps Romandie as well.

Oh, Jeebus. Sudden turn around in logic here. After touting their 10th ranking in the ludicrous Pro Tour and having that shot down, now they are racing smart to get a Tour invite NEXT year. What about this year? Where are the wins for this year?

Maybe in 2011 they can follow the same brilliant plan and concentrate on gathering points for a 2012 Tour invite instead of winning anything.

Once again Evans screws up. He could have gone to Garmin and the team would have still had change from getting rid of Wigans left in their pockets.

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
theyoungest said:
A very American view on cycling, I have to say. It's not about scoring points to get into the Tour, it's about being competitive and racing attractively. If their approach is really as you say, well, good for them... they're not gaining a lot of fans that way, it seems.

For a team aiming at the US market... it IS about getting into the Tour.

I've learned a lot about cycling the last 3-4 years in terms of other races... but I think my introduction to the sport was pretty common for a US cycling fan. I watched 10+ years of TDF's before I even saw another cycling race.

Now I watch all I can and enjoy it imensely... but as far as US interest in cycling goes that puts me in the minority. The Tour is "IT" when it comes to the US cycling market.

I don't really know what their goal is. But I do know teams care a LOT about getting GT bids each year. And intentional or not, BMC is in pretty good shape and making sure that happens for another year.

So as my initial statement went.... a lot of teams would like to be in their position.

I think Vasconelli would rather have more points with an extremely good shot at getting automatic bids into the GT's next year then have their performance this year which is viewed as better... but will probably leave them without a GT again in 2011 (or maybe just the Vuelta).

Nov 17, 2009
Visit site
BroDeal said:
Oh, Jeebus. Sudden turn around in logic here. After touting their 10th ranking in the ludicrous Pro Tour and having that shot down, now they are racing smart to get a Tour invite NEXT year. What about this year? Where are the wins for this year?

Maybe in 2011 they can follow the same brilliant plan and concentrate on gathering points for a 2012 Tour invite instead of winning anything.

Once again Evans screws up. He could have gone to Garmin and the team would have still had change from getting rid of Wigans left in their pockets.

I wasn't "touting" their position in the Pro Tour. I merely stated that quite a few teams would like to be in their spot.

I think Vasco would like to switch with them. Yes, they have more wins and better finishes in many races... but it looks almost impossible for them to get an automatic invite to the Tour next season. And it's obvious that they REALLY value that invite.

Again... I'm not hyping BMC in any way. I'm just saying that there are quite a few teams with more wins that would love to have their pro-tour points.

kurtinsc said:
For a team aiming at the US market... it IS about getting into the Tour.

I've learned a lot about cycling the last 3-4 years in terms of other races... but I think my introduction to the sport was pretty common for a US cycling fan. I watched 10+ years of TDF's before I even saw another cycling race.

Now I watch all I can and enjoy it imensely... but as far as US interest in cycling goes that puts me in the minority. The Tour is "IT" when it comes to the US cycling market.

I don't really know what their goal is. But I do know teams care a LOT about getting GT bids each year. And intentional or not, BMC is in pretty good shape and making sure that happens for another year.

So as my initial statement went.... a lot of teams would like to be in their position.

I think Vasconelli would rather have more points with an extremely good shot at getting automatic bids into the GT's next year then have their performance this year which is viewed as better... but will probably leave them without a GT again in 2011 (or maybe just the Vuelta).
No, I think Vacansoleil would rather have a fair system of getting into GT's, and a fair ranking which isn't only based on whatever the UCI considers to be "important" races, such as the immensely prestigious Tour Down Under. I don't think Vacansoleil would want to swap with BMC in terms of racing so far this year--they're rightfully proud of what they've shown so far in the classics.

A

Anonymous

theyoungest said:
No, I think Vacansoleil would rather have a fair system of getting into GT's, and a fair ranking which isn't only based on whatever the UCI considers to be "important" races, such as the immensely prestigious Tour Down Under. I don't think Vacansoleil would want to swap with BMC in terms of racing so far this year--they're rightfully proud of what they've shown so far in the classics.

+1..............

TRENDING THREADS