• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Does every rider use HGH?

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
Seems to me that every single rider is on HGH, since it is undetectable and supposedly awesome, right? For training it seems like it would be great, but especially for recovery in stage races, no? I think I am the only person who is not on HGH..

Oct 29, 2009
Visit site
545-162Luxembourg_Cycling_.sff.embedded.prod_affiliate.81.jpg
[/QUOTE

Along with HgH, EPO, haemotransfusions, cortisone, and hematide, what are the chances Lance uses Aicar as well - the fat-stripping drug that Pierre Bordry thinks was rife at the Tour in 09?

Or is he just a broken-down, prematurely-aged old man?

EDIT: Sorry to highjack this thread, I didn't know where to put it; it's from the Official LA thread which is apparently doping-free.

I do believe a good number of pros use androgens as they are excellent in recovery, esp in GTs when one's own supply start to recede. I'm not too sure if they are good if your body is normal/naturally high in androgens; apparently the received wisdom is they can make you slower and result in breathing difficulties.

My partner was diagnosed with pituitary disorder a year ago and receives patches and he went from being constantly tired and sore to riding everyday in the big ring. He doesn't race BTW and hates the patches as they fall off and make crinkly noises under his clothes! The gel in them has a greasy consistency so you can't cut it open and smear it. The topical gel contains ethanol and dries instantly.

I imagine the temptation to dope would be immense as a pro, esp once the results are so clear and the approval of the UCI is tacit within certain parameters. For me, the great crime of doping isn't the cheating (which is reprehensible enough) but the lying and deception of the public that one is as pure as the driven snow. Being a massive bully about it too is even worse.

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
CycloErgoSum said:
545-162Luxembourg_Cycling_.sff.embedded.prod_affiliate.81.jpg
[/QUOTE

Along with HgH, EPO, haemotransfusions, cortisone, and hematide, what are the chances Lance uses Aicar as well - the fat-stripping drug that Pierre Bordry thinks was rife at the Tour in 09?

Or is he just a broken-down, prematurely-aged old man?

EDIT: Sorry to highjack this thread, I didn't know where to put it; it's from the Official LA thread which is apparently doping-free.

I do believe a good number of pros use androgens as they are excellent in recovery, esp in GTs when one's own supply start to recede. I'm not too sure if they are good if your body is normal/naturally high in androgens; apparently the received wisdom is they can make you slower and result in breathing difficulties.

My partner was diagnosed with pituitary disorder a year ago and receives patches and he went from being constantly tired and sore to riding everyday in the big ring. He doesn't race BTW and hates the patches as they fall off and make crinkly noises under his clothes! The gel in them has a greasy consistency so you can't cut it open and smear it. The topical gel contains ethanol and dries instantly.

I imagine the temptation to dope would be immense as a pro, esp once the results are so clear and the approval of the UCI is tacit within certain parameters. For me, the great crime of doping isn't the cheating (which is reprehensible enough) but the lying and deception of the public that one is as pure as the driven snow. Being a massive bully about it too is even worse.

Tell him to get his Doctor to put implants in every 5 months much better but it wont enhance his performance on the bike. just same you still have to train hard.

May 6, 2009
Visit site
I think that's a misconception - that HGH is used to get big muscles.
There are lots of sources saying it's used to repair damage and benefits any type of rider.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
thingswelike said:
I think that's a misconception - that HGH is used to get big muscles.
There are lots of sources saying it's used to repair damage and benefits any type of rider.

Exactly. It is expensive but dosing for all of these drugs is the key, now. A good program can keep almost all PED's under the radar and, unless you really screw up ala Floyd; you likely won't get caught by anyone on the outside. Guys getting popped for EPO, testosterone and the like are careless.

TRENDING THREADS