• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Does Gilbert deserve full backing at the Worlds?

Should Gilbert be given full support at the worlds?

• Everyone should ride for Vino.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
i dont know whether gilbert had ever had a worse season than this one. Nothing is working for him, even when he is having good legs.

When we look at last year, he still had a bad streak, but magically won the rainbow.

having seen both sides, it is a vino option. cant figure out who that is though:(

Netserk said:
He is by far Belgium's best bet for a medal/win. His form is on the rise, and I think he will be near (but not at) the same level he had a year ago in Valkenburg.

So yes, I do think he deserves full backing.

Think I agree with this. Would be a very strange situation though if his first win after winning the rainbow jersey is for another rainbow jersey.

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
I voted who cares. I see the worlds being two ways:
1. A solo attack up the last hill. Nibs, Valv, Uran, Spartacus, etc
2. A small group making it to the finish for a sprint. Sagan or ... err Sagan.

I don't see Gilbert winning from either of those situations given his performances this season.

Aug 16, 2011
Visit site
Yes, he hasn't really done too much this season to earn full support. But who else do Belgian have that can contend? A quick look at CQ shows the top belgians are GVA (not likely to do much on this course), Bakenlants (not an elite climber that can hang in with the best, maybe a good bet for a early break), Roelandts, Meersman, Leukemans, etc. (petty much classics riders and sprinters that aren't likely to do much on this course).

So Gilbert is pretty much their best bet, wouldn't be much point in giving someone else full leadership over him.

murali said:
i dont know whether gilbert had ever had a worse season than this one. Nothing is working for him, even when he is having good legs.

Last year was way worse prior to the wc.

He showed some good form multiple times this year. Cauberg during Amstel, Redoute in Tour de Belgique and holding off the peloton on stage 7.

Combine that with wearing bib #7, he deserves full backing

Mar 15, 2013
Visit site
Afrank said:
Yes, he hasn't really done too much this season to earn full support. But who else do Belgian have that can contend? A quick look at CQ shows the top belgians are GVA (not likely to do much on this course), Bakenlants (not an elite climber that can hang in with the best, maybe a good bet for a early break), Roelandts, Meersman, Leukemans, etc. (petty much classics riders and sprinters that aren't likely to do much on this course).

So Gilbert is pretty much their best bet, wouldn't be much point in giving someone else full leadership over him.

unless there's a 10k-long climb, every course suits GVA

I don't believe in full backing in a 1 day race

Unless you only have like 3 riders or only 1 rider is any good, you can always make room for a second leader who gets little protection but nonetheless can be used for other things.

Gilbert should obviously be full leader for which about 5 riders should work hit that is more than enough. At least 3 of them fan very easily be given - try to make some attacks, roles.

What bothers me is his "diva attitude" to "demand leadership" when he hasn't earned it with results. Yes- he just won a Stage in the Vuelta- it means nothing to prove his worth as a team leader in a parcours that isn't going to suit him at all...

TRENDING THREADS