• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Does Gilbert deserve full backing at the Worlds?

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.

Should Gilbert be given full support at the worlds?

• Everyone should ride for Vino.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
May 12, 2013
Visit site
The Hitch said:
What about J.VDB. Does his Contadoresque - I don't give a **** about any race but the Tour, attitude extend to the world championships too?

I don't think he has recovered after his crash.

As a heavily used hollywood line goes - **** them if they can't take a joke.

Seriously, learn to take a joke.

I always went well well over the top in my postings in support of Contador, and of Samu and all other riders, and now I do the same when its time to criticise him.

All your favourite posts of mine. The nickname - The Great One, which I gave him. The line about how Contador fans are a family. The one about how all cycling fans are judged only by whether they support Contador or not etc etc.

All of that was massive hyperbole. you weren't complaining about my posting style then. Now when its time to rib Contador a little, which he fully deserves, I continue with the same ott posting style, but you act like I put out a contract on Contador or something and even complaining about it on twitter.

And come on Contador does deserve it. What am I criticising him here for for example. That he has become a tour only rider. SOmething i always despised. I spent the last 2 years seeking any excuse to beat up on VDB about it. Now Contador is doingt it.

ANyway since i dont want to hijack this thread anymore i am willing to go further in the Contador thread if you wish.

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Gilbert may have won today, but his season has been terrible. Plus theres too much climbing for him I think. Theres certainly better Belgian climbers than Gilbert. He needs to cut the ego down unless he is actually backing it up.

gustienordic said:
Gilbert may have won today, but his season has been terrible. Plus theres too much climbing for him I think. Theres certainly better Belgian climbers than Gilbert. He needs to cut the ego down unless he is actually backing it up.

We're talking about a guy who won LBL and Lombardia, not a climber by any means yet in a one day race a guy who can climb with the best.
If Cancellara is a favourite, he should be also.

That aside, Belgium has no other chances, GvA is a joke, and the only other winner in their roster can be only chosen between Bakelandts (who surprised me but still) and Meersman. Guess what.

Sorry Belgium, next year maybe :p

Pippo_San said:
We're talking about a guy who won LBL and Lombardia, not a climber by any means yet in a one day race a guy who can climb with the best.

That aside, Belgium has no other chances, GvA is a joke, and the only other winner in their roster can be only chosen between Bakelandts (who surprised me but still) and Meersman. Guess what.

Sorry Belgium, next year maybe :p

GVA is a joke ? If you said one of the best domestiques going around I would agree with you especially in the classics. Nice win by Gilbert on what will be a much easier course than the worlds but considering it's his first win for the year, he could have timed his form well, again. Obviously the Worlds is one of his big targets for the year and he missed out in the Spring. Getting that first win should be a boost for him as well. Gilbert is too good a rider to discount even though his season has been a dud by his standards but quite similar to last year it seems. So far.

gustienordic said:

What does his spring season have to do with this. If his form is rising in the veulta, with stagewins and podiums, then he will be in condition for worlds. Who else in the belgian roster with hill pedigree is showing form at the moment?

Too much climbing you say. Sure the hill profile leans slightly more towards aerobic climbing than the LBL hills, but if you look at the hill profile, you find that only the last 1,8km of the climb is 7.5-8%, the first km is 5% and the second is 3%.

Redoute is 2km at 9% as a comparison. Rosier is 4.4km 5.7%.

Its tough but its not alpine climbing.

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Pippo_San said:

Exactly. If Gilbert has no chance, than Sagan and Cancellara might just as well stay home.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Valdepenas de Jaen wasn't bad although he would have ripped the peloton apart with his 2011 form.
Yesterday was good without a doubt, but i haven't seen his trademark 45 second full out attack yet so far this year. Until that happens, I certainly do not consider him a top favourite for the World.
But the fact that he seems a lot leaner is a promising indication. Just look at his face.

Brabantse Pijl:
pic358742811_670.jpg

Vuelta:
pic394127872_670.jpg

TRENDING THREADS