• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Does Lance have to return his yellow jerseys? Can we really erase Lance from history?

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I was wondering now that Lance has been stripped of his seven titles, does he have to return his seven yellow jerseys or something? I don't know how that would work, would USADA send a team of special agents to strip his house and find any TDF momentos? The jerseys I wonder about because I think those are in Lances Mellow Johnny's shop in Texas...

5666892665_9543b21443.jpg

Like what is the process when this happens? He owes the prize money for his winnings? Gives back the bronze medal, erased from the history books, erased all his titles, etc.?

Maybe USADA can erase our minds, because we all still see Lance on that podium.

But seriously, will they take Lance's Jerseys then send them to Jan Ulrich...? That would be an awkward conversation..

"Hi Jan, congratulations, you are the default winner of the Tour De France, blah blah blah, here is your yellow jersey. We know you cheated at one point, and probably cheated that year, but we don't have proof. Sorry but the jersey was already signed by Lance. Our bad, wish we got him sooner. But if we do find proof you did cheat that year, were going to need that back." :p

Maybe this ruling will prevent other cyclists from thinking about cheating, or perhaps winning too much.

Regardless you have to admit it was an exciting era of cycling. Maybe it was riddled with all cheats at the top and maybe Lance was one of them, but it was entertaining. I gotta say...this year was absolutely the most boring TDF. I hope the sport does get clean, but does that mean, it turns boring? You would think not since it's a "level" playing field, providing us with much closer races, but I guess we'll find out.

Next year will be an exciting tour IMO when the great spaniart, AC returns, along with his nemesis, the "Chicken" or M. Rasmussen.

Who is Lance Armstrong?

Actually we can't forget him though. We must remember him as the great darkness in the worst times of this sport and make sure something like this never happens again. If we forget the past it has a way of coming back to haunt us.

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
I Watch Cycling In July said:
Why erase him from history when we can mock him for a couple of decades instead?

Well truth be told the sport is one big mockery, because pretty much every winner in this sport has cheat attached to his name one way or another.

Apr 10, 2010
Visit site
You cannot change history and if it is attempted future generations will look upon those Tour years with great curosity and interest imo. It will just magnify the whole situation and that will be bad for the sport.

Should Lance's wins be removed from the record books it will open up a minefiled. Potentially somes Tours could end up with winners who have actually been found guitly of doping.

guilty

SilentAssassin said:
Well truth be told the sport is one big mockery, because pretty much every winner in this sport has cheat attached to his name one way or another.

armstrong............guilty

if other winners are guilty name them

first the cleanest cycling icons that spring to mind

beryl burton
graeme obree
greg lemond
chris boardman

armstrong continues to mock the truth

Jul 20, 2010
Visit site
ebandit said:

beryl burton
graeme obree
greg lemond
chris boardman

Greg Lemond? He's probably the biggest hypocrite and a cheat. You don't think pointing the finger draws less attention to yourself? Come on, you don't know these people. All we know is they had to endure how many grueling stages...all on "a couple of bottles water" and some "food packs"

armstrong proven cheater

SilentAssassin said:
Greg Lemond? He's probably the biggest hypocrite and a cheat. You don't think pointing the finger draws less attention to yourself? Come on, you don't know these people. All we know is they had to endure how many grueling stages...all on "a couple of bottles water" and some "food packs"

we have the proof............armstrong cheated

there is zero proof that lemond cheated
armstrong offered financial incentive for evidence of any wrong doing by lemond................net result................nowt!

my hero beryl burton 100% clean... multi world champion.........winner of 25 consecutive national 25 mile time trial championships on nowt stronger than a cup of tea

there is plenty of info re obree/boardman on the web.......both clean

anyway calling others out for cheating is zero defence for armstrong

Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Imagine when Lance Armstrong becomes, instead of a name, a byword for people who think they are big fish, just because they are in a small pond.

Parents will be called to the school of their little darling, only to be told he kicked sand in Johnny's face because he wanted Johnny's doughnut, he smudged the paint on Sarah's picture because he could, he ****ed on Christopher's shoes, then got the rest of the class to tease Christopher for wetting his pants, took bets from his classmates on how long it would take to make Chris cry, then refused to pay out the winner because they had no evidence of their bet. I know this is humiliating news for you, but quite frankly he just went all Lance Armstrong!

May 26, 2010
Visit site
SilentAssassin said:

Link some proof to LeMond's doping. After all these years. Nothing. Even now that Armstrong has been stripped, if there was some evidence someone would come forward and say something, but nothing.

The only true American winner of the Tour De France.

It hurts doesn't it.

Why indulge in SA's attempts at drawing attention from LA's corrupting, systemic, fraudulent cheating by actually replying to his poor attempt at smearing the one rider who won before and lost after EPO entered the peloton?

Ignore it.

Lance Armstrong not only doped. He corrupted the process of fighting doping. He persecuted those who wanted to clean it up. He's kept on denying it while almost everyone else from the nineties has admitted to doping. He's profited immensely from doing all this. He's been not only trafficking, but doing it using restricted funds donated for cancer research. The man is an utter abomination and trying one tiny bit to defend him or his actions is truly demonstrating an complete lack of justice. Trying one bit to excuse his behaviour or compare it to what others did is the same. There's no comparing this cheat and his gang of hoodlums with anybody else in the sport.

Don't forget - he returned to the sport at a point where many riders where ready to change after the Festina affair blew up the sport. He had not been part of that experience and was fully prepared to continue the old way. Had he not returned in 99 the sport might very well have been in a completely different place over these past 13 years. He was close to dying and decided he was going to skin life for all it was worth - he justified his entitlement to hold an entire sport hostage to get back at cancer...

Jun 1, 2011
Visit site
SilentAssassin said:

I agree, I have my doubts about LeMond. Did not Fignon state that they all where doing corticoids? I think his motive is born out of jelousy and finacial loss.

His gunsot wound almost killed him and he lost a lot of muscle mass. His sudden rise to form in the last week of 1989 Giro is dubious.

Armstrong may have been made a martyr here, but the future will only tell.

Jul 15, 2010
Visit site
SilentAssassin said:

You are a funny guy and an expert troll. Thank you!

ebandit said:

beryl burton
graeme obree
greg lemond
chris boardman

Boardman? I need to read a whole lot more on him to be convinced.

I Watch Cycling In July said:
Imagine when Lance Armstrong becomes, instead of a name, a byword for people who think they are big fish, just because they are in a small pond.

Parents will be called to the school of their little darling, only to be told he kicked sand in Johnny's face because he wanted Johnny's doughnut, he smudged the paint on Sarah's picture because he could, he ****ed on Christopher's shoes, then got the rest of the class to tease Christopher for wetting his pants, took bets from his classmates on how long it would take to make Chris cry, then refused to pay out the winner because they had no evidence of their bet. I know this is humiliating news for you, but quite frankly he just went all Lance Armstrong!

Well, it's happened before.
A traitor is commonly referred to as a "Benedict Arnold".
So maybe "Lance Armstrong" will become an accepted term as you suggest. But the name could mean so much, it would be hard to pick just one definition; liar, cheater, bully......?

To answer the question, no he doesn't have to be erased from history. He just changes categories.

Dr. Maserati

BANNED
Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
SilentAssassin said:
I was wondering now that Lance has been stripped of his seven titles, does he have to return his seven yellow jerseys or something? I don't know how that would work, would USADA send a team of special agents to strip his house and find any TDF momentos? The jerseys I wonder about because I think those are in Lances Mellow Johnny's shop in Texas...

5666892665_9543b21443.jpg

Like what is the process when this happens? He owes the prize money for his winnings? Gives back the bronze medal, erased from the history books, erased all his titles, etc.?

Maybe USADA can erase our minds, because we all still see Lance on that podium.

But seriously, will they take Lance's Jerseys then send them to Jan Ulrich...? That would be an awkward conversation..

"Hi Jan, congratulations, you are the default winner of the Tour De France, blah blah blah, here is your yellow jersey. We know you cheated at one point, and probably cheated that year, but we don't have proof. Sorry but the jersey was already signed by Lance. Our bad, wish we got him sooner. But if we do find proof you did cheat that year, were going to need that back." :p

Maybe this ruling will prevent other cyclists from thinking about cheating, or perhaps winning too much.

Regardless you have to admit it was an exciting era of cycling. Maybe it was riddled with all cheats at the top and maybe Lance was one of them, but it was entertaining. I gotta say...this year was absolutely the most boring TDF. I hope the sport does get clean, but does that mean, it turns boring? You would think not since it's a "level" playing field, providing us with much closer races, but I guess we'll find out.

Next year will be an exciting tour IMO when the great spaniart, AC returns, along with his nemesis, the "Chicken" or M. Rasmussen.

The lance is going to have to change the name of his bike shop.
It was called Mellow Johnnies as a reference to the Mailliot Jaune - peoples thoughts on an appropriate name would be welcome. Maybe Edgar Allen Poes or something?

As for the jerseys - he has quite a few (his wiki page doesn't have the number up anymore, hmmm) so they should be distributed to all the others who assisted in the fraud. Send some to Hein, Pat(XXXL), Michelle, Comical Chris, Sally etc and they should be forced to wear them continuously so people can point and mock them.

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
ChewbaccaD said:

Thanks for this pic! Having served alongside with these soldiers back in 2003/4, it reminds me of how much I should turn my thumbs down on fake liars like Pharmstrong and all his blind followers. His so called "crusade" is such a farce and a black eye on those who do make sacrifices and give their all.

He's getting all the negative reaction he deserves by living in a fantasy world and by trying so hard to ruin other's names and reputations.

LeMond returns as the best American cyclist ever...the ONLY American who has won the Tour.

Mar 19, 2009
Visit site
Of course you cannot erase his memory .... in fact this will be THE most remembered of ALL aspects of professional cycling because of the polarity of emotion involved. There's some irony.

The more you try to erase him from history and your mind .... the more you remember him. This is simple physics. The more you push against ... the more what you push against pushes back.

The cool thing is ... we are all free to choose . Push ... let go .... however you choose ... enjoy the ride :)

the big ring

BANNED
Jul 28, 2009
Visit site
lostintime said:
Of course you cannot erase his memory .... in fact this will be THE most remembered of ALL aspects of professional cycling because of the polarity of emotion involved. There's some irony.

The more you try to erase him from history and your mind .... the more you remember him. This is simple physics. The more you push against ... the more what you push against pushes back.

The cool thing is ... we are all free to choose . Push ... let go .... however you choose ... enjoy the ride :)

Strip trumps push. Good luck stripping back :-D

TRENDING THREADS