• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Does the DT240s freehub get any quieter with use

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
Titles says it all. Riding some new wheels built with DT240s and the freehub has to be one of the loudest I've ever used. I guess on the plus side it's kind of like loud pipes on motorcycle. People can sure hear me freewheeling.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
Make them quiet agian, it's easy. Pull your freehub off and dab some white lithium grease on the pawls, simple as that. You don't even need any tools, just pull off the knurled end cap off the axle then the freehub will slide right off. When you get some miles into 'em and the grease spreads thin they will get louder with more use. Sometimes DT, hell, most big companies let groups of hubs go out the door without properly greased freehubs. Depends which minimum wage warehouse lackey was working that day.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
RDV4ROUBAIX said:
Make them quiet agian, it's easy. Pull your freehub off and dab some white lithium grease on the pawls, simple as that. You don't even need any tools, just pull off the knurled end cap off the axle then the freehub will slide right off. When you get some miles into 'em and the grease spreads thin they will get louder with more use. Sometimes DT, hell, most big companies let groups of hubs go out the door without properly greased freehubs. Depends which minimum wage warehouse lackey was working that day.

Thanks.

Tried to get the endcap off but it looks like I need to pick up an axle vise first (is this a standard size?). Another tool to add to my collection.

Aug 4, 2009
Visit site
Yes they are noisey but Campy in carbon rims are worst certainly know who is soft pedaling in a bunch.
Its a sign of good machining and nice fitting pauls. let it click soon get used to it. but do your turn at the front and drive the bunch hard for a while then you can soft pedal.

richwagmn said:
Titles says it all. Riding some new wheels built with DT240s and the freehub has to be one of the loudest I've ever used. I guess on the plus side it's kind of like loud pipes on motorcycle. People can sure hear me freewheeling.

Rotating notched plates next to each other. Take apart like Mr Roubaix says and use a wee bit of grease or Mobil One, which is what I use.

Mar 19, 2009
www.ridemagnetic.com
richwagmn said:
Thanks.

Tried to get the endcap off but it looks like I need to pick up an axle vise first (is this a standard size?). Another tool to add to my collection.

You shouldn't need any tools. The end cap will be stiff from being clamped into a bike but if you just grab the freehub and wiggle while pulling it should all come loose. Watch. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8ZQJS0IQM0

If that end cap won't budge, stick the shorter L bend of a 5 or 6mm allen into the end cap and wiggle loose, the rest should slide right off.

kalb04

BANNED
Jul 19, 2010
Visit site
The Mask Forever —Jim Carrey

Jim Carrey has become one of the most recognized faces in the world —and it is precisely because of his face that he has achieved such fame. His rubbery look, and penchant for wild and extreme behavior has given him a notoriety he delights in.

Born in New Market, Ontario, Canada on January 17th, 1962 to a working class family, growing up poor was tough for young Jim Carrey, true religion jeansWhile in his teens, he had to take a job as a janitor when his father lost his job and he had to juggle both School and work. School eventually lost out and he dropped out. He describes himself as being very angry at this time in his life, yet one good thing came out of it. He developed a tremendous sense of humour to help him cope and to shield his anger from the world.

He was a loner who claims he didn’t pandorahave any friends because he didn’t want any. Between school and work there just wasn’t much time for a childhood. At 15 though, he had enough time to start performing at Yuk Yuks, a famous Toronto comedy club where he began to perfect his shtick. He moved to LA and did the club circuit there. He soon came to the attention of Rodney and was put on his tour.

Jim Carrey got his big break in 1990, when he landed a role on the hip new sketch comedy show In Living Color which boasted a cast of African-Americans and Carrey, the sole white guy. While there, Carrey perfected many characters,links of london bracelets most notoriously “Fire Marshal Bill” who always went up in a blaze. The sketch was yanked when critics claimed that it encouraged kids to play with fire. The controversy put Carrey’s name in the headlines for the first time.

He broke into feature films, and into the collective unconscious of the world, in one single successful year, 1994. It was the Year of the Funny Face. First there was Ace Ventura: Pet Detective, a surprise hit that show Carrey’s now signature wacky style. Next came The Mask, a role that seemed tailor-made for him and was a hit with audiences. As if he hadn’t made an impression yet, ghdthere was still Dumb and Dumber which was released during the holiday season and ended up on top of the box office. Jim Carrey was in the limelight now and he hasn’t looked back since.

Since that famous year Carrey has, dare we say it, slowed down a bit. His films have come out less often but have continued to make waves if not quite of the caliber as previously seen. There was Batman Forever, in which he inherited the role of The Riddler. Then there was a sequel to Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls which didn’t quite recapture the sparkle of the original. Next came Liar, Liar. The film was a tremendous success with crowds everywhere and put him back on top. It also brought his salary back up 20 million. Then came The Truman Show, a film which proved to the world that Jim Carrey was more than just a funny face.

In fact, Jim was awarded a Golden Globe for his dramatic portrayal. When he was snubbed by the Oscars, there was a collective gasp heard around the world. Clearly the fans at least think Jim Carrey is golden.

The future looks good for Jim Carrey, he has developed a legion of devoted fans who love his wild style of physical comedy. He has proven his ability to weather a storm and come out on top, important for any celebrity.

Carrey has come a long way from his unhappy childhood and in fact seems to be living a second childhood now. Canada has been producing fine comedic talents for years, and Jim Carrey is definitely the best of the new breed.

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
I finally got my DT240s rear hub apart with the help of an axle vise. It hadn't been apart before so maybe they're harder at first? It did pull apart more easily the second time.

Anyways, added some lithium grease around and in between the star ratchets and the hub is much quieter (these are new hubs too).

Thanks everyone for the help.

Oh yea, these are pretty cool hubs. The tooless part is very nice.

I remember disassembling hubs in the early 90s. Took a few more tools and reassembly (ie adjusting the bearing play) was a bit of an art.