• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Domenico Pozzovivo appreciation thread

Page 8 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
He has said multiple times that top 10 on GC is more meaningful to him than a stage win, unless it is a big stage. Maybe that's unusual but it's his perspective.

Especially last year Giro, he specifically said that he wanted to prove he could do a top 10 at 39 and after a couple of extremely bad crashes in the last 4 years. And he did it. That 8th place was quite an important achievement for him (and he could have got 6th or 7th without that mortirolo crash) . So maybe in 2023 he goes for stages. But honestly against guys like Bouwman, ciccone, rota, bargain, covi he is not explosive enough to win stages

A podium was 100 % achievable in 2014, 2015, 2017 and 2018 had things gone differently. Are you really saying that he wasted his carieer because he was ambitious?
Yes.

Once it didn't materialize in 2018,the writing was on the wall.

That said, he could've won the 2012 Giro d'Italia if he had peaked later. But in his defense it was not predictable that Basso & Co all messed up their preparation and there was still Rujano who wasn't supposed to caught mononucleosis either.

Reactions: Sandisfan
Yes.

Once it didn't materialize in 2018,the writing was on the wall.

That said, he could've won the 2012 Giro d'Italia if he had peaked later. But in his defense it was not predictable that Basso & Co all messed up their preparation and there was still Rujano who wasn't supposed to caught mononucleosis either.
I don‘t think Basso really messed up his preparation, although people didn‘t know at the time that he was washed up. The field was just weak that year with Hesjedal and Purito fighting it out for the win in the end.

Reactions: Sandisfan
“With the condition I had in the first two weeks, I could even have fought to win the Giro, but in the end, I suffered a bit,” said Pozzovivo. “But it’s still a beautiful memory.”

Sounds like Pozzovivo himself has the same sentiments regarding the 2012 Giro d'Italia!

Reactions: TourOfSardinia
Clipboard.png