• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Domestiques thread. Who whill be the MTN superdomestique of the 2013?

Best MTN Superdomestique of 2013

• Other

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
Others could be Kiriyenka for Wiggins, Henao for Froome, Roche for Contador, Tiralongo for Nibali, Kelderman for Gesink, Geniez for Pinot, Landa/Antón for Sánchez, Ulissi for Scarponi...

Jan 8, 2012
Visit site
I really hope that Landa gets it togheter in the Vuelta this year, he hasn't shown much since Burgos 2011 but he's young and promising.

Jason_Mercier said:
Others could be Kiriyenka for Wiggins, Henao for Froome, Roche for Contador, Tiralongo for Nibali, Kelderman for Gesink, Geniez for Pinot, Landa/Antón for Sánchez, Ulissi for Scarponi...

The issue with the last three has perhaps more to do with the leader. Are they gong to set the agenda on key mountain stages or just follow the train? I can see Pinot and Sanchez doing something, but I think it will be mostly solo jobs. Dunno.

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
Moreno did some great work for Rodriques last year. Wasn't leading the pack but was usually at least available until pretty late on. I voted Quintana. He looked amazing riding for Piti at the Vuelta. I would say that he was more influential in Piti's Vuelta than any Sky rider was to Bradley's Tour. Yes the Sky guys spent a lot of time at the front, but Wiggins and Froome looked into total control anyway. Piti was very definitely not in control and at key moments in key stages, Quintana put in some big rides for him.

Waterloo Sunrise said:
Depends what you think a mountain domestique is for.

There will be lots of riders cycling in front of their leader in the middle of a semi selective pack.

But if you mean leading the bunch, I think we can safely say it will likely be a Sky rider, but which one is anyone's guess.
In the Tour? I think the team of the strongest rider, Contador, will have to do the most work. In the Giro you're gonna see a lot of Astana.

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
Jason_Mercier said:

Well, Tiralongo use to pace Contador.

Anton is going to ride as a helper?:confused: Not like he deserves a leader role after last two years but surprising

theyoungest said:
In the Tour? I think the team of the strongest rider, Contador, will have to do the most work. In the Giro you're gonna see a lot of Astana.

Even if Contador is leading, he'll be more comfortable with a less regular pace than the Sky boys, so the onus will remain on them to set a high pace and limit as far as possible the scope for accelerations which can be sustained.

Strange, at the TDU roles were reversed with you insisting Sky would have to do all the work, but we can both see how that actually played out.

Forunculo said:
Well, Tiralongo use to pace Contador.

Anton is going to ride as a helper?:confused: Not like he deserves a leader role after last two years but surprising

I think he will have a free role. Sanchez will be riding Giro/Vuelta and him Tour/Vuelta.

Since Euskaltel need WT points Anton will aim at least a top 10 finish and a stage win.

Waterloo Sunrise said:
Even if Contador is leading, he'll be more comfortable with a less regular pace than the Sky boys, so the onus will remain on them to set a high pace and limit as far as possible the scope for accelerations which can be sustained.

Strange, at the TDU roles were reversed with you insisting Sky would have to do all the work, but we can both see how that actually played out.
Yes, it seems Blanco overestimated Geraint a little. Although in the part I've seen (2 climbs of Willunga Hill) Sky did most of the work :eek:

Have you watched the Vuelta? What team went for the jugular from day one?

theyoungest said:
Yes, it seems Blanco overestimated Geraint a little. Although in the part I've seen (2 climbs of Willunga Hill) Sky did most of the work :eek:

Have you watched the Vuelta? What team went for the jugular from day one?

OK, I watched the whole stage, it was Rabo doing the break chasing and then Sky trying to calm things on the climb.

And yes, I watched the Vuelta and the Tour. I also watched Sky sign Kyrienka, Cataldo, Lopez, & Dombro, so I think anyone who thinks they intend to be less controling of mountain stages than last year will have an unpleasant surprise.

Waterloo Sunrise said:
OK, I watched the whole stage, it was Rabo doing the break chasing and then Sky trying to calm things on the climb.

And yes, I watched the Vuelta and the Tour. I also watched Sky sign Kyrienka, Cataldo, Lopez, & Dombro, so I think anyone who thinks they intend to be less controling of mountain stages than last year will have an unpleasant surprise.
That's their Giro team. Yes, that race will be one boring Sky procession. I just hope Wiggo has what it takes on the multiple mountain stages.

Last year they won the GT they controlled the hell out of, and didn't win the others.

In the off season they signed so many climbers their squad balance is now utterly stupid.

It just seems obvious to me they've taken a lesson from the first statement above and begin putting it in to action in the 2nd.