• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Don’t call it an Unofficial Andrea Tafi Comeback Thread

Mar 14, 2009
Visit site
Actually, some "masters" version of 45+, 50+ etc would be pretty entertaining and I would definitely watch it. And not only Roubaix, but all monuments should offer that. Bring it on!

Re:

Jancouver said:
Actually, some "masters" version of 45+, 50+ etc would be pretty entertaining and I would definitely watch it. And not only Roubaix, but all monuments should offer that. Bring it on!
Me too. Let all the crazy science experiments from the 90's just cut loose like the old days.

The only downside is guys like VDB, Pantani, and Jimenez can't make it :(

Re:

Velolover2 said:
Him finishing inside top 50 would be an amazing performance.

I don't even know if that is possible at 50+? In more explosive races, I don't think so. But in Roubaix, it might be.
I think it is possible to still do reasonably well, but I'm wondering about his preparation.
He'll have to do other races as well. You cannot come into Roubaix with just training, that's never going to work.

Re: Re:

Jagartrott said:
Velolover2 said:

I don't even know if that is possible at 50+? In more explosive races, I don't think so. But in Roubaix, it might be.
I think it is possible to still do reasonably well, but I'm wondering about his preparation.
He'll have to do other races as well. You cannot come into Roubaix with just training, that's never going to work.

Mat Hayman says hello.

Jagartrott said:
Velolover2 said:

If he gets invited, Gent-Wevelgem would be the ideal prep race. Unlike the mini-Rondes (Omloop, E3, Dwars), it's somewhat gentle and less explosive.

And a Flanders-Roubaix combination would be too much, I think.

A 52 year old with that past...come on. This thread should suffer the same consequences like VaP. Move it to The Clinic, Mods. Or move Tafi to W52. :lol:

giphy.gif

Velolover2 said:
Jagartrott said:
Velolover2 said:

If he gets invited, Gent-Wevelgem would be the ideal prep race. Unlike the mini-Rondes (Omloop, E3, Dwars), it's somewhat gentle and less explosive.

And a Flanders-Roubaix combination would be too much, I think.

IF (very big if, still) he can find a team to take a shot on him, they'll presumably involve him in some of the minor cobbled races (the above, Le Samyn, De Panne, some other local Belgian races that nobody's heard of) just to test him out before giving him a race number in Compiegne.

For sure it will be interesting. Based on the race he rode in Hungary, where a decimated peloton finished with about 48km/h average, he's in more than great shape for a 52 year old. Not that the said effort required was big if all he did was sit in the back of the group. But it's difficult to know.

Re:

Cance > TheRest said:
For sure it will be interesting. Based on the race he rode in Hungary, where a decimated peloton finished with about 48km/h average, he's in more than great shape for a 52 year old. Not that the said effort required was big if all he did was sit in the back of the group. But it's difficult to know.
What was the length of the race? Also, how hilly?

Still being at the pointy end after 150kms+ at 48km/h suggests Tafi could still race at Div 3 level as a domestique.

With the proper focus he could help the team lead of a Pro Conti team get to the Arenberg in a good position at the least.

TRENDING THREADS