• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Don't give away winner!!!

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Hi, I am a long time reader of cyclingnews and it is often the first and only place I get news on races. I have always read the articles on the latest races with excitement and enjoyed how the winner was never revealed in the heading, so I could click on the heading, read about the race as it unfolded and have the winner revealed at the end of the article without knowing who it is until then. I like your new website, but the headings/links for each race now has the name of the winner in it, which for me, loses a lot of the excitement in reading the article. I know I'm just one voice, but maybe there are many others who appreciated not knowing the winner until reading the article. I hope you can change this!

Thanks for listening,

Oliver Brelsford

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Cycling news; stop this!!

Tour de Suisse - 2009
Live report ( stage 7), Stage 7 Kirchen times move to perfection, :mad:

I don't want to see the result before reading the live report. Please stop putting headings like the one above on the home page. Just say Stage 7 full story and result or similar. PLEASE!

Jun 18, 2009
Visit site
no results up front please

The suspense is gone. This detracts from the report. Please stop. Please go back to the old format. The new site is cumbersome and annoying.

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
I liked the old format

:mad:
I agree, please remove the race results from the home page. I love reading the race reports and the suspense of not knowing the outcome.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I totally agree. Cycling is a global sport. No matter where in the world you live, races happen at times that are significangly out of phase with your home time zone. It was a real joy to be able to come to CN and read the race report, or often the complete live report, and not have the winner revealed until the end. It was like watching live. Unfortunately, that's gone now and I have one less reason to visit CN.

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
These are my sentiments too. The old format was great. I'm getting headaches with the new site - serious. The fonts are all the same.

Jun 16, 2009
Visit site
I couldn't agree more. This has really ruined my enjoyment following competitive cycling. I saw today's headline and just moved on to another web page. I'm sure it would have been a great stage to read. Now that I know, why bother. I feel like I've been cheated.

M :(

Jun 19, 2009
Visit site
Don't give away the winner

Having had the race reports spoiled by the new design I was forewarned
when I tried to access the Stage 7 Live Report.
I was unsuccessful,couldn't help seeing the winner's name.
It seemed like such an interesting stage. TOO BAD IT WAS SPOILED

HOW HARD IS IT TO CHANGE THIS ?

Since I usually check the result first anyway (and then maybe skim the report) that in itself doesn't bug that much - but I can easily see how it bugs people that can't watch races live.

What do bug me about the change is that previously all the sub-links under a certain race followed the exact same form: "Stage 7 - brief results Stage 6 - Full results and report" (and so on). That kind of layout is much easier to read.

Also, where have the links to previous editions of a race gone? (Except for the Autobus?)

Mar 12, 2009
Visit site
It's no use. The management has decided that headlines are breaking news and that's why people go to news sites like CNN. What they don't seem to understand is that cycling is not like regular news, that cycling is not televised, not run at normal times of the day, and that MOST of their readers do not want to know the results.

Unfortunately, it seems to be the one decision that, out of all the changes they've made, is completely non-negotiable. They've got 800 posts worth of negative feedback on another thread, many which point out the hatred of the site and especially the spoilers. But they won't budge.

Jun 22, 2009
Visit site
This is the entire reason I started reading cyclingnews and left other sites, such as velonews -- by putting the name of the winner or clues as to the progress of the race on the homepage, yours is just another site I'll have to avoid most of the racing season.

An unfortunate change!

Mar 16, 2009
Visit site
Spoiling our sport

I've come to the conclusion that the only way to appeal to the 'wise' owners and runners of this site and their determination to spoil the enjoyment of the coverage of our sport, is to appeal to the advertisers.

All this frustration cannot be going un-noticed, surely they can't find the site any better.

1. drop each one an email asking them to stop advertising on a website that is spoiling our sport.

2. Never click an advert on this site - SO Visit each advertiser by googling them.

P.S. Can some one point me to all the archived site content, with the results of past races, photos and race reports.

cheers

Jun 20, 2009
Visit site
I agree. I'm going to have to avoid looking at the site during the Tour de France. I could safely visit it last year, because I'd be OK as long as I didn't click on the "Stage x results, report and photos" links. The first and second edition cycling news stories didn't mattter because they were about yesterday's results, which I already knew. Now if I visit the homepage I'll know who won before I get to watch the ITV4 highlights programme at home in the evening.