• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Doping in Soccer/Football

Just wanted to hear some people's opinions on this. I mean, we have all heard of two big Spanish teams being linked to OP, and team/s in Italy with their masses of legal drugs. But how widespread do people think it is in football/soccer? Try as I might, I can't imagine Fulham or Wigan players injecting themselves with whatever before a match.

(I don't think there is a thread on this, but I apologise if there has been - the only other sports I have seen talked about in any depth are US football and baseball.)

Sprocket01

BANNED
Oct 5, 2009
Visit site
I don't know how good the testing is. If it's reasonably good then I bet most players wouldn't risk it - there's not the same immediate benefit that there is from doping in cycling, and you have to be a nutter to be a cyclist in the first place.

Are players tired after games? Do they lose their breath after sprinting to make a play?

If your answer is 'yes' to either of these questions, then I'd sure that some have tried doping.

As far as risking it...

How many soccer players make over 1 million euro per year? How many cycling stars make over 1 million euro per year?

They have a lot more reasons to risk it.

As for the risk, there have been lots of instances of footballers coming out with their drug problems - cocaine mostly - yet their tests never showed up positive?

Also, I'm sure I remember reading that clubs are notified when testers come, so they can just send players home from training in advance. Or something like that - vague I know, but I can't find a link anywhere..

Sprocket01

BANNED
Oct 5, 2009
Visit site
With these other sports there isn't the same performance benefit, is what I meant. Of course it is going to help, but it doesn't necessarily mean you're going to play much better or score a goal. Therefore they probably weigh the risks differently to cyclists. And you could argue the higher pay they receive makes it a bigger risk to take - they don't want to give that up for an uncertain benefit.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Jaap Stam and Edgar Davids both went for roids.

AC Milan and Juventus had an uncover investigation from a tv journalist earlier this decade.

Ofcourse, soccer/football is a hybrid sport, and requires a little strength plus a modicum of stamina. They rarely exhaust their potential in training both disciplines, and reaching their potential. They will never exhaust the o2 system during a game. There will be local muscular failure instead.

IMO, doping will help, mostly in recovery, and in rehab from injury. The doping will be less prevalent for sports requiring highly acutre neuromuscular co-ordination, the so-called, hand-eye co-ordination sports. Tennis, soccer.

But rehab, and recovery between games. Could be a definite advantage. On the field, less so.

One other advantage, it would allow training to be less intense for the physical preparation, and more focused on skill adaptation that o2 and power development.

I would have to bet that there is just as much doping in soccer (sorry I'm American) and Tennis and at least several other "skill sports" as there is in cycling.
I see three reasons.
1. There is more money in some of these other sports. More money means more competition, hence more reason to cheat and more available funds as well.
2. Less testing, so why not?
3. Most important. Sports like these are not just skill sports they are speed/skill sports. You could have the best tennis strokes in the world but if you are always late getting to your opponent's ball it will do you no good. Same with soccer, if you don't beat your opponent to the ball it doesn't matter how good your skills are. Also these games go on for 2-4 hours and if you don't have the stamina and fitness you will not compete.

Mar 13, 2009
Visit site
Hugh Januss said:
I would have to bet that there is just as much doping in soccer (sorry I'm American) and Tennis and at least several other "skill sports" as there is in cycling.
I see three reasons.
1. There is more money in some of these other sports. More money means more competition, hence more reason to cheat and more available funds as well.
2. Less testing, so why not?
3. Most important. Sports like these are not just skill sports they are speed/skill sports. You could have the best tennis strokes in the world but if you are always late getting to your opponent's ball it will do you no good. Same with soccer, if you don't beat your opponent to the ball it doesn't matter how good your skills are. Also these games go on for 2-4 hours and if you don't have the stamina and fitness you will not compete.

you are right... but. The returns are marginal. And it is very much a function of declining return.

The athletes in these sports are well below their potential, if they trained like a full time athlete in an Olympic discipline. (running, track/field, swimming, cycling, weightlifting). But to meet their potential in a hand-eye co-ordination sport, they only have to reach a threshold benchmark. Once they meet that benchmark, it really it inconsequential if they drop their 40yard sprint time by 0.1 of a second, or can bench press another 100lbs.

Now, there are certain players, who may benefit. IE. A tennis player, who uses their speed as a weapon. But they are very much a rarity.

I do note that Michael Jordan put on alot of upper body muscle mass, and then became perhaps the greatest post player that has been at 6'6" in the swing/shooting guard position. No one could touch him when he had someone on his back at the elbow from 18 feet.

luckyboy said:
Just wanted to hear some people's opinions on this. I mean, we have all heard of two big Spanish teams being linked to OP, and team/s in Italy with their masses of legal drugs. But how widespread do people think it is in football/soccer? Try as I might, I can't imagine Fulham or Wigan players injecting themselves with whatever before a match.

Logic would suggest that they are running big programmes. The returns (or often rather the consequences of failure) are so enormous for individuals and teams that any professionally run club will be looking for every possible marginal gain. A club like Hull City will lose tens of millions if they're relegated; they've invested heavily to try to secure the returns of the EPL and could easily be in a position where the whole organisation folds if they lose out on anticipated income. Or take one of the top clubs, Liverpool: they're hugely reliant on a few key players - a huge organisation reliant on the fitness of a handful athletes to secure Champions' League positions and thereby service debt. It is only logical that you'd look for every marginal gain, whether it's improving players' endurance of the length of a match, or their ability to recover to play again in back-to-back matches, or their ability to recover from long-term injuries.

Then imagine how much easier it is to dope for a footballer than for a cyclist. Footballers have a permanent base, with on-site medical facilities and their own security systems. You only leave the base for single-day trips for away games. It's the direct opposite of cycling teams which have no permanent base or infrastructure and have to drag themselves around Europe and stay in hotels most of the year. Think of how many cycling doping cases have broken simply because of border controls (Festina, Rumsas) or how many more rumours stem from suspicious junk dumped at hotels, or because riders/teams don't have their own infrastructure and have to use someone else's (Fuentes, Vienna, Freiburg).

Jul 24, 2009
Visit site
Just a couple of comments. During one of the World Cups back in the early 1980s a Scottish player got caught taking amphetamines. The issue of the teams knowing when the testers are going to turn up has been cited a number of times in the media. Finally I think someone mentioned tennis. I believe that McEnroe has stated that he was given steroids over a number of years in the 1980s, but that they were legal at the time!

Mar 20, 2009
Visit site
Prolonged exposure to lactate impairs your hand-eye coordination, and premiership players cover 10km per game, much of that is running quite hard. They've every reason to dope.

Arsene Wenger once commented that they (Arsenal) were seeing some strange blood values in the pre-signing medicals when they got players from Spain but that they normalised once at the club. You can probably find the exact quotation online.

Rugby, on the other hand, is rife with anabolic steroids. The players are getting so strong that there is an annual symposium to study the changing injury patterns because they way it's going, people will start getting killed.

Jul 19, 2009
Visit site
Football use blood manipulation. EPO was used in first by Italian clubs (thanks Ferrari, Cechini,...) when they began to beat all team in the last 20mn, their players were much more fresher than their opponents. Spaniard followed then English and finally all other countries.
To be skilled without physical means is nothing in football. For exemple Ronaldhinho is one of the top 3 skilled, but he don't play because of his lack of training.
Playing 2 times a week requiers a good recovering, so a need to finish a game fresher.

There is much more EPO produced than used by medical staff. All riders of the world could never use that black EPO.
Who are using it? Ski-runner are few like many other sports. Only football has enough pro player to afford a such comsumption.

Sprocket01 said:
And you could argue the higher pay they receive makes it a bigger risk to take - they don't want to give that up for an uncertain benefit.
One of the reasons for higher pay if for the doping in the first place. So I don't know what you mean by not doing the doping because is too risky. I can find millions of $ reasons for doping. Not to mention that if the testing system is not as efficient as in Cycling (Is not good either but it is probably one of the better ones out there) then the chances of being caught are very low. Just a question, how many soccer players has been caught doping in the last decade? To me doping (At least with recuperation meds) is a sure bet in soccer.

keen_but_slow said:
Prolonged exposure to lactate impairs your hand-eye coordination, and premiership players cover 10km per game, much of that is running quite hard. They've every reason to dope.

Arsene Wenger once commented that they (Arsenal) were seeing some strange blood values in the pre-signing medicals when they got players from Spain but that they normalised once at the club. You can probably find the exact quotation online.

Here you go

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/3726928.stm

Mar 20, 2009
Visit site
poupou said:
Football use blood manipulation. EPO was used in first by Italian clubs (thanks Ferrari, Cechini,...) when they began to beat all team in the last 20mn, their players were much more fresher than their opponents.

After the EPO test came in, Italy went a few years without getting a team into the last 16 of the Champions League. Probably coincidence.

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
blackcat said:
Now, there are certain players, who may benefit. IE. A tennis player, who uses their speed as a weapon.
Anyone thinking the same as me?
29nadal_blog1.480.jpg

Some interesting stories from Steroid Nation:

"Reports suggest soccer star Ronaldo's early steroid use led to current knee injuries":
http://grg51.typepad.com/steroid_nation/2008/02/reports-of-socc.html

"Soccer great Pele wants soccer drug-cheat Maradona stripped of medals":
http://grg51.typepad.com/steroid_nation/2008/04/soccer-great-pe.html

Also, a somewhat interesting fact on Argentine superstar Lionel Messi:

"His sinuous style of play is a product of his low centre of gravity, something that may have been affected by the growth-hormone deficiency from which he suffered as a child. He was diagnosed at 11 and he needed extensive and expensive treatment to get him through his adolescent development – and £500 a month was too much for a family from a modest background in Rosario.

Without the treatment we would never have heard of Messi. Newell's Old Boys helped out but when they decided they could not afford it, Barcelona stepped in. He was 13 then and within three years he was in the first team."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...-to-challenge-Lionel-Messi-and-Barcelona.html

(PS: I'm not calling Messi a cheat, just found it interesting.)

Apr 24, 2009
Visit site
I think that with the way sports are now we have to abandon the "innocent until proven guilty" philosophy and assume that something is going on.

Are we to assume that doping occurs in things like amateur cycling, cross country skiing and biathlon but not football or tennis?

Modern footballers are running almost 10 kms a match and they are playing at least 50+ games for their clubs and also in some years playing for their national teams as well.

In tennis, you see games where the players are playing just as hard after 4 hours. When Nadal started winning at around 18 he certainly didn't look 18.

goggalor said:
"His sinuous style of play is a product of his low centre of gravity, something that may have been affected by the growth-hormone deficiency from which he suffered as a child. He was diagnosed at 11 and he needed extensive and expensive treatment to get him through his adolescent development – and £500 a month was too much for a family from a modest background in Rosario.

Without the treatment we would never have heard of Messi. Newell's Old Boys helped out but when they decided they could not afford it, Barcelona stepped in. He was 13 then and within three years he was in the first team."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...-to-challenge-Lionel-Messi-and-Barcelona.html

(PS: I'm not calling Messi a cheat, just found it interesting.)
Let's call it a TUE.:D

Oct 8, 2009
Visit site
keen_but_slow said:
Rugby, on the other hand, is rife with anabolic steroids. The players are getting so strong that there is an annual symposium to study the changing injury patterns because they way it's going, people will start getting killed.

One of the rugby league clubs (can't remember which) has had a suspicious number of over-muscled young players who have died suddenly in the past few years. That is one sport that definitely needs to clean up its act.

I wouldn't be surprised if there was doping going on in football of some sort, because the amounts of money at stake are so vast.

poupou said:
There is much more EPO produced than used by medical (professionals). All riders of the world could never use that black EPO.
Who are using it? Ski-runner are few like many other sports. Only football has enough pro player to afford a such consumption.

D!ck Pound noted in one of his books that there was something like 70% overproduction of EPO between about 1995 and 2005. Meaning, all the EPO used to treat cancer, anemia, etc. by medical professionals for what the drug was designed, only accounted for about 30% of what was manufactured. The rest of it going...well, you probably know where it went.

As Kelvedon noted, there is an incredible amount of money at stake in football worldwide, it's in the interests of FIFA to not go hard after the players, but merely make sure the playing field is fairly even, and no one drops dead right on the pitch.

Of course we can look beyond football and tennis. Does anyone really think there are no steroids used anymore in baseball, now that the Mitchell Report has been released, and there is more testing? Or that the NFL is clean with no one using steroids, HGH, etc. because they started testing more in 2006? The list goes on.

Apr 29, 2009
Visit site
Professional football has changed completely in the last 20 years. Footballers used to normal looking skinny dudes, now guys like C. Ronaldo are incredibly fast and strong, which takes him from a very good player into a truly exceptional one. Improved training and all that, but the next logical step.....

Don't even get me started on rugby. They are absolutely HUGE nowadays.

Jun 28, 2009
Visit site
Don't even get me started on rugby. They are absolutely HUGE nowadays.
Do you know what our NFL players look like? Also it is not such a taboo in American football and is almost expected with the heavy demands an NFL player's body takes. Even when I was playing in high school I knew kids that were taking legal stuff that is banned in cycling, but can be bought at your local GNC. It is just engraved in the sport. When Shawne Merriman got busted a few years ago it just wasn't that big of a deal. He got like a four game suspension and lost his spot in the Pro Bowl. What would have happened if he rode a bike?

Back in the 1970's the average sized lineman in the NFL was almost the same size as a linebacker today. And everyone is now much faster. It's just astounding. In 1985 William "Refrigerator" Perry was possibly the biggest player in history at that time. Now, he would be merely of average size for his position.

People in baseball often hate Jose Canseco for spilling the beans. He's a self-serving ass, that's for sure, but pretty much everything he said came true, in an uncanny way. Don't like Jose? The late Ken Camenetti was a much nicer guy, despite a drug problem, and said at least 50% of players in MLB were on steroids. He probably underestimated.

I'm as against doping in cycling as anyone, but let's keep our eyes on the whole picture here. No one really thinks all these sports are clean, do they?

TRENDING THREADS