• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Doping in XC skiing

Page 79 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Sep 25, 2009
Visit site
just in.

a german biathlete, an ukrainian skier and an italian bobsleighist are the 3 positives in sochi. it is said that both the a and b samples have been tested.

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
Bavarianrider said:
Wow, chinese energy food. I thought they'd come up with something more creative than that. Not even German main stream media will buy thath.:rolleyes:

More believable than deliberately using a stimulant when you know there are a gazillion tests at the olympics and mandatory testing if you get on the podium. :rolleyes:

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
Bavarianrider said:
Why would you use Chines **** in the first place? That's at least as brain dead as using stimulants.

I think using a detectable drug during the olympics is peak stupid.

She tested positive for methylhexaneamine which is the most infamous supplement drug around.

Cance > TheRest said:
Sachenbacher has actually been underperforming here in Sochi compared to normal skiing times in the world cup. Kind of weird she's the one who gets busted... Hope the b-sample will be negative
Has she really? Her ski times on the World Cup this year were a big step up on last year anyhow. Most of the German team have been below their World Cup average in Sochi, but Evi, not so much. She's been producing better results than she ever had before as a biathlete.
wansteadimp said:
A quote from Eve

"This is the worst nightmare you could imagine. I can't explain how the doping test could be positive," the 33-year-old said.

Surprise at a positive test not that she tested positive.....

Tyler'sTwin said:
I think using a detectable drug during the olympics is peak stupid.

She tested positive for methylhexaneamine which is the most infamous supplement drug around.

She'd better have some of that energy stuff on her if she wants to go the Rui Costa way, otherwise tough.

Either way, I think it's auf Wiedersehen, Evi - if she's banned, she'll be 35 and persona non grata when she comes back; if she's not banned, the team aren't likely to risk her again anyway. She's old, and the team will all be a completely different generation once Henkel's retired.

As a Norwegian, I can honestly say that Bjørgen is the currently active Norwegian athlete I'm most suspicious about, apart from those who have already tested positive. She's just too good, and her roidy body doesn't help. Mind you, I think the same about Kowalczyk.

Johan Olav Koss flies to the top of the all-time list with ease though. I'm pretty much convinced he doped.

Mar 9, 2012
Visit site
Libertine Seguros said:
That's why it's remarkable that he hasn't swallowed Evi's excuse unquestioningly.

It's the same we've seen with Liggett. Denying till it's impossible to do anymore.

I read the first part and skipped the rest, but is was enough to be reminded, what a honk that guy is.:)

Saint Unix said:
As a Norwegian, I can honestly say that Bjørgen is the currently active Norwegian athlete I'm most suspicious about, apart from those who have already tested positive. She's just too good, and her roidy body doesn't help.

Today’s 30K was a disgrace for the XC-skiing sport. You would assume that every nation would try to do its best in an Olympic event. Where were the Russians, the Swedes, the Finns, the French, the Germans, the Polish, the Italians, the Estonians, the Americans and so on? What on earth are they doing?
Well today it was clearly not a waxing issue, from the TV-pictures it seemed fairly even.
In Biathlon we’ve seen some skiing dominance also in these Olympics, especially Bjoerndalen, Fourcade and Domracheva stood out. Domracheva and Fourcade clearly have a superior skiing technique, perfect age and body constitution.
What is disturbing, is to see Johaug with her energy wasting technique, MB with her pumped body and frequent competing (though a very good technique) completely outskii the entire world in a long distance run. It simply doesn’t add up.:confused:

Discgear said:
Today’s 30K was a disgrace for the XC-skiing sport. You would assume that every nation would try to do its best in an Olympic event. Where were the Russians, the Swedes, the Finns, the French, the Germans, the Polish, the Italians, the Estonians, the Americans and so on? What on earth are they doing?
Well today it was clearly not a waxing issue, from the TV-pictures it seemed fairly even.
In Biathlon we’ve seen some skiing dominance also in these Olympics, especially Bjoerndalen, Fourcade and Domracheva stood out. Domracheva and Fourcade clearly have a superior skiing technique, perfect age and body constitution.
What is disturbing, is to see Johaug with her energy wasting technique, MB with her pumped body and frequent competing (though a very good technique) completely outskii the entire world in a long distance run. It simply doesn’t add up.:confused:

Actually Bjørndalen just skied as fast as he did in the world cup events before. He wasn't faster. Also, Domracheva's skiing is at the same level as before Sochi. Fourcade's skiing times weren't much different too.
Can't see why Johaug shouldn't be able to do what she did today. The course has that long hill, where it's only natural for her to gain time. Also she didn't lead the trio all the time, meaning she did get time to rest. This was just Tour De Ski all over again, with Bjørgen and Steira instead - not very surprising, when competitors like Kowalczyk is injured and Kalla underperforms.

Cance > TheRest said:
Also, Domracheva's skiing is at the same level as before Sochi. Fourcade's skiing times weren't much different too.

Agree. We have three major success parameters in XC. Wax/grinding, technique, superiour endurance. Today the first parameter seemed fairly even. When it comes to skiing technique Domracheva and Fourcade is clearly superb. Todays hit and run trio in 30K is much more dubious as I stated in the previous message. Before and today.

May 25, 2009
Visit site
If you look at previous 30k women's races, it's hardly an atypical result. I mean, Kowalczyk's going to be there if she's in form, which she obviously wasn't today, and the 3rd Norwegian is optional, but Johaug and Bjoergen do this pretty regularly.

for ex 2013 champs K,J and B 1:30 ahead of everyone, 2011 champs similar early on but Johaug destroyed the other two early, 2012 Oslo K,J and B 2 minutes ahead of everyone. Going back to 2010 Oslo has a Bjoergen, Steira and Johaug 1,2,3 after dropping the rest of the field before half way.

Of course, one obvious explanation is that they were doped for everything, but this is a Contador destroys people on mountains sort of event, not a Froome in 2011 moment.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts