• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Doping is becoming a public health issue, says WADA chief

Page 2 - Get up to date with the latest news, scores & standings from the Cycling News Community.
Nov 14, 2013
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
That's a stupid comment. There is a reason for the obesity epidemic, and it has a lot to do with what companies are allowed to put in food, including massive amounts of sugar.

If you're going to criminalize something, criminalize the additives and treat sugar the same way we treat alcohol and tobacco.
This x 1 million. Sugar and preservatives are the big dangers to the health of modern man. Bone idle ****ing is number 2. Only because with a small amount of effort the avg person can fix number 2. Eliminating sugar from the modern diet takes a much bigger effort as it is in everything. We have been "clean eating" (like paleo but more balanced with reasonable levels of carbs and fats) in our house for two years, it takes constant effort to avoid processed foods.

Re: trt, imo putting chemicals in your body always has a cost or boomerang effect, i prefer to avoid it whenever possible but at the end of the day, its your body do with it what you want.

Sugary drinks is the #1 culprit in my experience. I simply don't understand how someone can knock through a 6 pack of cokes in a day, (35g sugar/can 210g sugar in a 6 pack) yet plenty of people I know do that or more.

Followed by stupid sized portions when eating out (less so at home).

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Catwhoorg said:
Most of those are boosted through exercise anyway.

What the leading cause of impotence in 60 year old guys ? 60 year old women...
(OK mods that maybe over the line, please delete if too inappropriate)

You didn't stop working out because you got old, you get old because you stop working out.

Even cancer is greatly prevented by exercise, but we don't stop using drugs in cancer treatment because of that. Keeping things natural is definitely not always the best option. Even cancer is natural.

When free testosterone levels get too low, you become impotent. And I've posted data showing how these levels drop as you age.

While exercise helps in many aspects, it's not always enough. Nature has no use for you once you pass about 35 years of age and you're done procreating. After that, your body gets ready to die and you get weaker. This can be partially countered with hormone replacement therapy. Improved quality of life, improved health.

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Moose McKnuckles said:
That's a stupid comment. There is a reason for the obesity epidemic, and it has a lot to do with what companies are allowed to put in food, including massive amounts of sugar.

If you're going to criminalize something, criminalize the additives and treat sugar the same way we treat alcohol and tobacco.

My comment was stupid, and yet your post was very much in agreement with what I wrote?
I don't get it.

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
Catwhoorg said:
Can you genuinely not see how getting someone to a situation where they REQUIRE daily medication is a public health issue?

No? This happens as you age anyway. Free testosterone levels drop. Medicating with testosterone will then improve quality of life as oppose to just letting your body rot and get weak naturally. Sticking a needle in your glutes every two weeks is no big deal.

Erythropoietin said:
No? This happens as you age anyway. Free testosterone levels drop. Medicating with testosterone will then improve quality of life as oppose to just letting your body rot and get weak naturally. Sticking a needle in your glutes every two weeks is no big deal.

Err... ummm...

Well not such a big deal for you maybe. But.

What happens if you decide to stop forking out $gazillions on testosterone supplements?

Does your body immediately return to its 'normal' level?

And, are there no concerns with testosterone supplements? No possible side effects or causation of other hormonal imbalances?

Dave.

Jun 24, 2013
Visit site
D-Queued said:
What happens if you decide to stop forking out $gazillions on testosterone supplements?

Does your body immediately return to its 'normal' level?

And, are there no concerns with testosterone supplements? No possible side effects or causation of other hormonal imbalances?

Dave.

There are people who get their testosterone production shut down after just one cycle. Then there are others who bounce back just fine after five years of continual use. So it varies a lot... If you're not willing to take that risk, you really have no business using steroids. But I don't see it as a big negative since we all get decreased testosterone leves with age either way.

A replacement dose of testosterone is very cheap. Using high doses of anabolics gets expensive though.

You say "testosterone supplements", so I'm gonna assume you mean testosterone and not testosterone derivatives (anabolic steroids) in general. If you just use a low dose of testosterone, then it's basically the same as if your body was producing that amount itself except LH and FSH are suppressed. So you risk shutting down your testosterone production, reducing fertility as well as having your testicles shrink. But these aren't big issues, as you can just use synthetic testosterone and fertility drugs like HCG.

Erythropoietin said:
So you risk shutting down your testosterone production, reducing fertility as well as having your testicles shrink. But these aren't big issues, as you can just use synthetic testosterone and fertility drugs like HCG.

Oh, sure. Ask Tammy Thomas how perfectly normal her life is after using steroids.

Mitochondrial disease is downright nasty for the suffers.

Despite being a scientist.
Manipulating the germ line of the species is something I don't like, and if I were an MP I woudl vote against it.

The option of insemination using a donor egg means that this is basically unnecessary. (As you need that inseminated donor egg anyway. Implant that if you want to be a mother so much, or adopt)

TRENDING THREADS