• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Doping link to cancer not likely

May 23, 2010
Visit site
Just reading in Basso Zoncolon thread. Regarding the Testis Cancer caused by doping - this is not likely. As a uniballer and elite cyclist myself I asked the oncologist about this - there's no correlation.
I think his ability to perform well while sick is more of an indication that he was juiced and didn't need his balls to make test, he was getting it from somewhere else.

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
One of the posters said there was a link between one of the drugs Lance was taking, and suppression of the immuno response or whatnot...

does anyone know what the chances are of getting ball cancer at certain ages?

oh and that was a link I first heard mentioned only recently in a Betsy Andreu interview, I'm keen to think she may have better insight than what a simple query to your doctor might turn up.. doctors are kind of like that, "oh no no no, that would never happen, don't worry about it..."

Oct 16, 2009
Visit site
santacruz said:
One of the posters said there was a link between one of the drugs Lance was taking, and suppression of the immuno response or whatnot...

I couldn't give you a number, but I think getting it anywhere between 15 and 35 is not at all uncommon.

What I'm wondering is if HGH could help cancer cells spread, or something like that. Anyone know?

Jul 22, 2009
Visit site
There are lots of young men with that same sort of cancer that are not on any significant PED's. Testy cancer is not as uncommon as it probably ought to be.

Mar 18, 2009
Visit site
I remember a few guys from the lausanne lab being quizzed on this during an article cyclismag did a few years ago.

Without mentioning any cyclists specifically, they basically said that it's extremely unlikely.....However they also noted that it's basically impossible for cancer markers not to be detected in a rider's dope tests unless they were being unintentionally masked by steroid masking agents.

Given that Armstrong's cancer was detected extremely late compared to basically any other active athlete with cancer......

A

Anonymous

Raulos said:
Just reading in Basso Zoncolon thread. Regarding the Testis Cancer caused by doping - this is not likely. As a uniballer and elite cyclist myself I asked the oncologist about this - there's no correlation.
I think his ability to perform well while sick is more of an indication that he was juiced and didn't need his balls to make test, he was getting it from somewhere else.

Interestingly, his T/E ratio should have nailed him for a doping positive because of the cancer. I didn't, and nobody could explain why...except that either his cancer was different than everyone else with testicular cancer, or he was masking. You be the judge.

buckwheat

BANNED
Sep 24, 2009
Visit site
santacruz said:

oh and that was a link I first heard mentioned only recently in a Betsy Andreu interview, I'm keen to think she may have better insight than what a simple query to your doctor might turn up.. doctors are kind of like that, "oh no no no, that would never happen, don't worry about it..."

Doctors also were spouting the party line for ages that steroids don't enhance performance.

There are no studies that rule this kind of thing out at all. No one knows wtf these things can possibly cause. A cocktail of EPO, HgH, steroids, cortisone, amphetamines, caffeine, while training like a madman? All at high dosages. No, no, you're not going to get anything from that. The studies on caffeine aren't conclusive either way and that's only caffeine for goodness sake. Don't worry about it. People are taking $hit that enables them to gain more than 50lbs of muscle, and is deforming their skull and cranium, and they don't think it can cause tumors too? Whatever.:rolleyes:

Apr 27, 2010
Visit site
How do riders "mask" things? What is a masking agent?? I hear this a lot but I have never seen it explained.. can't one of these riders explain to us how so many people get away with doping??

TRENDING THREADS