• The Cycling News forum is looking to add some volunteer moderators with Red Rick's recent retirement. If you're interested in helping keep our discussions on track, send a direct message to @SHaines here on the forum, or use the Contact Us form to message the Community Team.

In the meanwhile, please use the Report option if you see a post that doesn't fit within the forum rules.

Thanks!

Doping Sanctions Consistency

Jul 30, 2012
Visit site
WADA's banned substances list contains a sublist of so-called "specified substances" that are substances that are more likely to be unintentionally ingested due to their widespread availability in medicinal and other commonly used products and are less likely to be used as performance enhancing drugs. An athlete may receive a reduced sanction when testing positive for a specified substance when she can establish that she did not take the substance with the intention of enhancing her performance. I am guessing this explains some or all of the reduced sanctions.

Jul 18, 2011
Visit site
KayLow said:
WADA's banned substances list contains a sublist of so-called "specified substances" that are substances that are more likely to be unintentionally ingested due to their widespread availability in medicinal and other commonly used products and are less likely to be used as performance enhancing drugs. An athlete may receive a reduced sanction when testing positive for a specified substance when she can establish that she did not take the substance with the intention of enhancing her performance. I am guessing this explains some or all of the reduced sanctions.

Yes. There are tiers of substances, but the sanctions vary from 1 month to 2 years (Contador) to LIFETIME. How does one get a lifetime?

Aug 6, 2009
Visit site
The Hitch said:
lifetime is if you been caught twice or if you are deemed to be supplying as well as doping.

As i understand it.

Wait, Armstrong took EPO twice? my world is falling apart. But surely his other 5 Tour wins were legit?